too many players from one team?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

too many players from one team??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

too many players from one team??

Postby uucrook3d » Mon May 02, 2005 1:19 pm

i have just been offered a trade of chipper and urbina for hideki and moyer. i would lean towards taking it but i already have m. giles and andruw jones. im not a braves fan or anything but i have just gotten offered different trades involving them. anyways, the actually post question involves whether or not having too many people from one team creates a "stat stealing" tendency. what i mean is that is either one of these players going to take up all the rbi,runs from another one of the players. what do you guys think? thanks for any input.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Mon May 02, 2005 1:48 pm

I dont think you should worry about it. The guys are going to get their numbers over the course of the year and if anything you will see more consistancy out of your lineup. If Chipper misses the RBI chance then Jones will pick those up for you. So you will see fewer monster weeks, but also fewer dud weeks. The name of the game in H2H is have a team that performs consistantly at a high level.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:51 pm

This has been discussed pretty thoroughly here, try doing a search for it.

It basically comes down to, in Roto it doesn't matter much at all...don't worry about it. But in H2H, it can make or break your weeks so it's not really a wise strategy. If one real-life team suddenly gets cold when you're in the playoffs, your whole season is shot.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon May 02, 2005 1:55 pm

I tend to agree with Slomo. Good hitters are good hitters but if they go on a slide or get shut out you're potentially screwed.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon May 02, 2005 1:55 pm

I'm sure slomo, of all people, would appreciate my recent example of Dunn, Kearns and Freel combining for 0-for-11 yesterday against Milwaukee. And yes, it hurts in H2H.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BigMusky » Mon May 02, 2005 1:57 pm

slomo007 wrote:This has been discussed pretty thoroughly here, try doing a search for it.

It basically comes down to, in Roto it doesn't matter much at all...don't worry about it. But in H2H, it can make or break your weeks so it's not really a wise strategy. If one real-life team suddenly gets cold when you're in the playoffs, your whole season is shot.

I would not worry about that later in the year come playoff time. That happens now in the spring, but not later in the year. I should say not on a team that has three or four fantasy players worth a roster spot. At that point if they produced all year they wont all go ice cold for a weeks time. It will buffer you against one or two slumping hard because the other ones should pick you up.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:57 pm

AKhomebrewer wrote:I'm sure slomo, of all people, would appreciate my recent example of Dunn, Kearns and Freel combining for 0-for-11 yesterday against Milwaukee. And yes, it hurts in H2H.

Yes, I can. :-P

Against the Brewers too! :-P :-P
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:58 pm

BigMusky wrote:
slomo007 wrote:This has been discussed pretty thoroughly here, try doing a search for it.

I would not worry about that later in the year come playoff time. That happens now in the spring, but not later in the year. I should say not on a team that has three or four fantasy players worth a roster spot. At that point if they produced all year they wont all go ice cold for a weeks time. It will buffer you against one or two slumping hard because the other ones should pick you up.

What if your team has the luck of playing IN Florida against Beckett, Burnett, and Willis? Good hitters are good for a reason, but I would rather not take the chance of having my entire season screwed because of bad luck like that.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BigMusky » Mon May 02, 2005 2:00 pm

slomo007 wrote:
BigMusky wrote:

What if your team has the luck of playing IN Florida against Beckett, Burnett, and Willis? Good hitters are good for a reason, but I would rather not take the chance of having my entire season screwed because of bad luck like that.

that is something you should research and not left to luck...schedules are not a secret.

I would not even balk at that anyway because who is to say Becket will not have blisters, Dontrell will be a waiver wire pickup like usually that time of year, and AJ is broken in some way shape or form.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby KolbSaves » Mon May 02, 2005 2:02 pm

Can anyone beat my 5 Mets hitters (in your starting lineup, mixed league)?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers