Dempster new Cubs closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dempster new Cubs closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby quicksilver8 » Mon May 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Besides the 3 months of bullpen work last year, when was the last time Dempster put up good fantasy stats? Clinton was still president back then.

Jobo should be back within a couple weeks and I don't see Dempster taking the job and running with it.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon May 02, 2005 4:59 pm

and don't forget ..

Dusty is the most loyal manager in the game.

The closing gig will be Boros .. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby Simulacrum » Mon May 02, 2005 4:59 pm

I could really use the saves so I'm tempted to grab Dempster, but his ERA is almost 6, and I don't want to drop anyone... so I'm going to pass for the time being. Yahoo recommends waiting until he proves himself to grab him.

He's also scheduled to start Wednesdays game against the Brew crew... wonder how that's going to be affected... :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Chuckles » Mon May 02, 2005 5:11 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:Besides the 3 months of bullpen work last year, when was the last time Dempster put up good fantasy stats? Clinton was still president back then.

You said it man, it was in the bullpen. I believe that's where he is right now!!! I would like to believe that he's going to stick with the position...maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. But he's been most successful when he hasn't been starting, and since he's not starting now, that's why I have the faith. ;-D
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Mon May 02, 2005 5:11 pm

i'd be curious to see what actually happens.

everyone is always sure he won't take it and run with it, but surely there have been enough examples (even recently) to show that it is certianly possible

batista, lyon this year -- graves last year, beck, worrell the year before. I think people thought kolb wouldn't succeed, and that kim was going to be awesome.

It really is sometimes more about opportunity than skills.

and it does seem fishy they would do this now, after all that.

If he has any merit whatso ever, it would probably transalte to more wins to use borwoski and hawkins in a set up role, and dempster as the closer.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:49 pm

It's really a shame Dusty doesn't want to stick with Hawkins. Latroy is by far their best arm in the pen and whether he likes it or not, he should be in the closer's role. His performance so far isn't that bad. Of his 6 save opps, 4 of them came with a 1 run cushion and the other 2 were 2 run cushions. For him to blow two save out of six isn't that bad. His ERA and WHIP stands at a very solid 3.60 and 0.90.

A better manager would have set Latroy straight with a good talkin' and wouldn't be having these problems right now. Unless Hawkins went into Dusty's office and demanded to be taken out of the closer's role, I see this whole situation as Dusty's fault.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:03 pm

bleach168 wrote:It's really a shame Dusty doesn't want to stick with Hawkins. Latroy is by far their best arm in the pen and whether he likes it or not, he should be in the closer's role. His performance so far isn't that bad. Of his 6 save opps, 4 of them came with a 1 run cushion and the other 2 were 2 run cushions. For him to blow two save out of six isn't that bad. His ERA and WHIP stands at a very solid 3.60 and 0.90.

A better manager would have set Latroy straight with a good talkin' and wouldn't be having these problems right now. Unless Hawkins went into Dusty's office and demanded to be taken out of the closer's role, I see this whole situation as Dusty's fault.

Hawkins has said on multiple occasions he dislikes the closer role and much prefers set-up work. So in this instance (and only this instance) it's not dusty's fault.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 6:06 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:It's really a shame Dusty doesn't want to stick with Hawkins. Latroy is by far their best arm in the pen and whether he likes it or not, he should be in the closer's role. His performance so far isn't that bad. Of his 6 save opps, 4 of them came with a 1 run cushion and the other 2 were 2 run cushions. For him to blow two save out of six isn't that bad. His ERA and WHIP stands at a very solid 3.60 and 0.90.

Hawkins has said on multiple occasions he dislikes the closer role and much prefers set-up work. So in this instance (and only this instance) it's not dusty's fault.

Plus Hawkins has proven over and over and over again that he cannot close. Some people can do it and some people can't. Hawkins can't. We all know this by now including Hawkins.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:13 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:

Of course Hawkins doesn't want to close because he has no confidence in himself. How can you when your own manager has no confidence in you.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:15 pm

One third of his saves his blown is not good. He cant hold one run leads, and 3.60 ERA is only mediocre for a closer. Just because hes your best reliever doesn't mean he should close. He hates closing. Hes said that. Hes more valuable as an any-inning stopper, since that is where he is dominant. Borowski, if he is healthy, will be more than suffice, just like he was in 03.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers