Dempster new Cubs closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dempster new Cubs closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rippz » Mon May 02, 2005 2:46 pm

I just lost Mota and Brazoban is running out of time which would have left me with only Ryan so i went on a frenzy and picked up Hermanson-Burgos-Dempster.....

One of them has to do good right :-o
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 468
Joined: 22 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon May 02, 2005 2:48 pm

In other news .. ;-)

May. 1, 2005 - 8:12 am et
Joe Borowski (wrist) could begin his minor league rehab assignment as soon as Tuesday. Borowski will report to Triple-A Iowa, but isn't sure how long he'll stay there. “I guess it’s natural that (if) your arm feels great and your wrist is fine, you expect to be exactly where you were all the time,” Borowski said. “But it’s like anything else. You have to acclimate yourself to it
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:48 pm

FWIW, Borowski is starting a rehab assignment on Tuesday. Not sure why they would wait until a few days before Borowski will be back to completely change their rotation/bullpen. :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chuckles » Mon May 02, 2005 2:49 pm

I picked him up as well. I like the SP eligibility! ;-D Hopefully he can take it over and be successful. I agree, those numbers are pretty atrocious, but if he "settles" into this role like he's wanted, maybe it'll be a worthwhile pickup!!
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1629
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: USA

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 2:50 pm

slomo007 wrote:FWIW, Borowski is starting a rehab assignment on Tuesday. Not sure why they would wait until a few days before Borowski will be back to completely change their rotation/bullpen. :-?


It's weird but Borowski has been so unreliable with his health that I can't imagine they will just put him in a high pressure situation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:52 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:FWIW, Borowski is starting a rehab assignment on Tuesday. Not sure why they would wait until a few days before Borowski will be back to completely change their rotation/bullpen. :-?


It's weird but Borowski has been so unreliable with his health that I can't imagine they will just put him in a high pressure situation.


True, but you would think they could wait another 10 days until Joe is back before making a pretty drastic move like this. Dusty really has no clue IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rippz » Mon May 02, 2005 2:54 pm

but if he "settles" into this role like he's wanted, maybe it'll be a worthwhile pickup!!


Exactly.... I dont believe they would keep doing this to Dempster and at the beginning of the season he was mentioned to be the closer over a healthy Borowski adn Hawkins so the news of Borowski starting rehab doesnt scare me away....

I think IF the Cubs give Dempster a shot than it will be his to lose even with Borowski returning....

Lets just hope he gets the shot and produces because Id much rather his SP and Ks over Borowski.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 468
Joined: 22 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 02, 2005 3:00 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:FWIW, Borowski is starting a rehab assignment on Tuesday. Not sure why they would wait until a few days before Borowski will be back to completely change their rotation/bullpen. :-?


It's weird but Borowski has been so unreliable with his health that I can't imagine they will just put him in a high pressure situation.


True, but you would think they could wait another 10 days until Joe is back before making a pretty drastic move like this. Dusty really has no clue IMO.


I really don't think that Borowski is the kind of pitcher that you hold out for to rescue your team.

Dempster's career path has been very similar to Miguel Batista, they both have good stuff but have been very inconsistent as starters. Sometimes these guys have good success when they don't have to think for more than one inning.

Not saying that he is going to be a great success but I do think that his career numbers don't tell the whole story either.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 3:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:FWIW, Borowski is starting a rehab assignment on Tuesday. Not sure why they would wait until a few days before Borowski will be back to completely change their rotation/bullpen. :-?


It's weird but Borowski has been so unreliable with his health that I can't imagine they will just put him in a high pressure situation.


True, but you would think they could wait another 10 days until Joe is back before making a pretty drastic move like this. Dusty really has no clue IMO.


I really don't think that Borowski is the kind of pitcher that you hold out for to rescue your team.

Dempster's career path has been very similar to Miguel Batista, they both have good stuff but have been very inconsistent as starters. Sometimes these guys have good success when they don't have to think for more than one inning.

Not saying that he is going to be a great success but I do think that his career numbers don't tell the whole story either.


I agree wholeheartedly. I had a chance to pick up a slew of 'new' closers but the only one I picked up is Dempster. He has the stuff and he can be dominant at times. Why they didn't use him before can be attributed to Dusty's skills in managing his pitching staff.

I was looking for the stats but what is Dempster's numbers as a reliever versus a starter? I remember that he was pretty good out of the pen in 04. I think he is their best chance unless they are looking to acquire a closer.

The main reason why I think Dempster has the best chance to stick is b/c I think Wood is out and they have very little chance to be in the hunt. Therefore, they won't trade for a closer.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby unclepaulie » Mon May 02, 2005 4:32 pm

Don't forget the fact that the Cubs lost Chad Fox for the season, which in turn opens up a right-handed set up spot in the pen immediately. It looks as if Borowski or Dempster will close and the other will be a decent setup man, but it looks like Dempster will get the first crack at the job.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 460
Joined: 23 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp, kab21, scarnicease, uphonnandam and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact