Rincon suspended 10 days--'roids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rincon suspended 10 days--'roids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:27 pm

I'll tell you who it doesn't benefit! Me, as a Santana owner. :~(
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:49 pm

matmat wrote:i think the twins should retroactively forfeit all the games Rincon pitched in this year. THAT should be the penalty.

The Twins and the organization don't deserve to be punished. No organization forces their players take steroids, it is all a personal decision.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Mon May 02, 2005 6:54 pm

Here's an old article, read on and it says that players cannot be suspended for the use of marijuana.

Josh Hamilton Suspended For MLB Drug Policy Violations

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.--Major League Baseball suspended troubled Devil Rays outfielder Josh Hamilton for 30 days and fined him an undisclosed sum for multiple violations of its drug policy.

The discipline handed down Tuesday is the first official confirmation that Hamilton's problems, which led to him missing last season, are drug-related. The severity of the punishment indicates Hamilton has tested positive for at least one of baseball's banned substances more than once.

Under the rules of MLB's joint drug treatment and prevention program, a player suspended for 25 or more days has failed at least two drug tests after being entered into the program and was using a "prohibited substance'' deemed by MLB more severe than marijuana. Under the rules, players cannot be suspended for use or possession of marijuana.

He was also fined up to $25,000, with the exact amount not revealed.

Hamilton, who told the St. Petersburg Times last month he was looking forward to rejoining the team in spring training, did not return telephone messages Tuesday. Neither did his parents nor his agent, Casey Close. MLB officials had no further comment, and the Rays released a statement saying only, "The organization is not in a position to make any further statement concerning this issue.''

Hamilton, 22, will be eligible for reinstatement March 19, although his return is not automatic. He would have to make it through the 30 days without any positive tests, and he would continue to be subjected to urine tests beyond that, and possibly for years. Discipline is progressive, with a third failure leading to a suspension of 50-75 days and a fourth infraction drawing at least a one-year suspension.

Even though Hamilton has not played in the major leagues, he is subject to MLB rules because he is on the Rays' 40-man roster. Suspensions are without pay, but that is moot as players are not paid during spring training.

When the Rays made Hamilton the first pick of the 1999 draft (ahead of Marlins righthander Josh Beckett) and paid him a $3.96 million signing bonus, they expected him to be a star by now. Considered by their scouts to have immense raw talent, more than current starting outfielders Carl Crawford or Rocco Baldelli, he was considered as close to a can't-miss prospect as there could be.

But injuries, including a spring training 2001 truck accident, slowed Hamilton's progress through the minor leagues, and his off-field problems have now threatened his career that consists of 251 minor league games, only 23 as high as the Double-A level. He last played in a game on July 10, 2002.

When asked about the powerful lefthanded hitter last week, Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said he was still hopeful Hamilton would develop, but LaMar made it clear the organization was going forward without him.

"You always hold optimism when you have someone with his God-given talent,'' LaMar said. "We talk a lot about Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli, Aubrey Huff, Delmon Young, B.J. Upton. Josh Hamilton is physically as talented as any of those young men and would have a chance to be a piece to a championship club.

"However, we've all been around players who've been gifted and not used that talent, and that's where Josh is. He's got to get back on the field and he's got to use that talent. Do we hold hope out? Absolutely. You would, too, with someone with that talent.

"This game is a humbling experience, and you're only as good as the last ballgame you play. He's got to get out there and win a spot on the club. That's why we signed Jose Cruz for two years and drafted Delmon Young. If Josh comes around, obviously we can deal from strength, but if not, obviously (the organization is) heading in the right direction.''

The first public signs of trouble came last spring when Hamilton showed up late to workouts twice within a week. He was reassigned, not unexpectedly, to minor league camp March 10 and about 10 days later mysteriously left the team, saying later he went to stay with a friend in Bradenton before returning home to North Carolina.

He resurfaced six weeks later to work out with the Double-A Orlando team, saying in a statement he needed the time away "to address some personal issues and problems'' and had "a better support system in place'' to go forward, insisting in an interview that he didn't have a drug problem.

He disappeared again nine days later, and the team announced then he would take "a personal leave'' for the rest of the season "to address certain private non-baseball matters'' and was placed on the restricted list.

He returned to the field in August to work out with the Triple-A Durham team for a few days. At the time Close said it was a first step back.

The Rays reinstated him to the 40-man roster in November, agreed to terms with him on a one-year contract and were expecting him in spring training, his No. 31 jersey hanging in a locker at the Naimoli complex.

In his first public comments since May, Hamilton told the Times last month he was hoping to get back on the field and put his troubles, which he refused to disclose, behind him.

"Put it like this: There's things I've worked past and I'm still working on to keep in the past, and just leave it at that right now,'' Hamilton said.

During the Jan. 22 interview at his home, he also said getting back in a baseball environment would help him deal with his off-field issues.

"That would be real good,'' he said. "That will be the best thing, for me to stay busy.''

Last week, he said by telephone he was still hopeful of participating in the first full-squad workout Friday.

"I haven't heard anything,'' Hamilton said. "I'm just chilling. I'm still working out and still hitting, but I'm just waiting.''

There was no indication from MLB as to what, if any, type of treatment Hamilton would undergo or whether he would attend a residential rehab clinic.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon May 02, 2005 7:00 pm

I think the teams should be punished for it, by not being able to fill his roster spot while the player is suspended. Maybe that will make the players really push their union to actually do something about getting all the drugs out of the game.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Punisher » Mon May 02, 2005 7:04 pm

Never saw this one coming :-t
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon May 02, 2005 7:06 pm

josh used to play for my hometown team called the charleston riverdogs....

the yankees bought out the farm team last year.

he used to be a young phenom. but he has really thrown his life away....

:-t
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AngelFan416 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:08 pm

Wow, that really stinks.

Kinda shocked.. wonder what will happen when he's back?
AngelFan416
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:11 pm

so....do we put an asterisk by Dock Ellis' no hitter too? 8-o

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/ellis.asp

I'm kind of tossed up about the whole 'roids/* issue. I shot them into MrsAcidRock when we were expecting AcidDaughter and we weren't competing in some cat that the docs were looking at and...AcidDaughter has turned out fine, although she WAS pretty much 'large' in terms of those kid charts...I think that if a player is hurt, and they have something that the AMA recommends 'roids for, the AMA should trump MLB.

The whole random testing thing is a bit ridiculous. Baseball has enough assets to test every player every week if they wanted to REALLY clean things up. There have been plenty of stories that have popped up re insulin being able to boost the efficacy of workouts and that it's basically undetectable as the only brands of insulin available these days are all manufactured using recombanant DNA technology that makes a product indistinguishable from the insulin produced by every major leaguer except Jason Johnson. I'd be more interested to find out a bit more about who's popping speed during August and September (and October?? 8-o )
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:20 pm

Isn't Dock Ellis the guy who pitched a no hitter while tripping on LSD? Thats so freakin wild. :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:24 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Isn't Dock Ellis the guy who pitched a no hitter while tripping on LSD? Thats so freakin wild. :-D

It is FAR more manly than SF OF sinking a yacht in Bonds' pond or whatever...I wish his girlfriend had snapped a pic of his face when he found out he was on the mound that day....'coffee .25, LSD $2.00, Curtis Mayfield Superfly single .99, finding out you're due to pitch....PRICELESS' :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers