John Patterson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Patterson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon May 02, 2005 5:39 pm

i watched the game on espn as well. patterson looked really composed and in control, expect when beltran and cliff floyd were battling him. If those 2 weren't in the mets lineup I wouldn't have been surprized if he kept his ERA under 1 for the year. The BB's are also deceiving because I know at least 1 was intentional and another was semi-intential to get to the pitcher.
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 02, 2005 5:47 pm

Obviously Patterson's ERA wasn't going to stay under 1.00 for the whole season. He's not Cy Young. He's not Pedro Martinez. Hell, he's not even Esteban Loaiza. He's John Patterson. Don't expect Cy Young numbers, and you won't be disappointed. He had a chance to be a very good starter but, with all young pitchers, you'll have to expect some bumps in the road.

Look at Prior's last outing. Look at Greinke's. It happens to all young pitchers. And c'mon, the Mets lineup isn't exactly chopped liver either. Cut the man some slack. IT WAS STILL A QUALITY START! 6 IP, 3 ERs. If that's a bad start from a waiver-wire pickup, I'll take it 100% of the time!
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RJCarrot » Mon May 02, 2005 5:49 pm

I thought he was fine.

Beltran and Floyd gave him some crap. But seriously... If I was a pitcher, I would rather have a little trouble from the likes of players like that, instead of getting tooled on by a whole team.

Patterson is a definate upgrade to my sad pitching rotation. His pitching was great, he made some bad calls on fielding.

Good pitchers are hard to find, stupid goes away.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby Darkie Satchels » Mon May 02, 2005 5:52 pm

I don't care what you crazy kids say. This boy's got more gas than I do after a night of drinking PBR and eating a burrito at LaBamba's. Mmmmmmm....Baaaaaambaaaas.

He's not a fluke by any means.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon May 02, 2005 7:43 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:Obviously Patterson's ERA wasn't going to stay under 1.00 for the whole season. He's not Cy Young. He's not Pedro Martinez. Hell, he's not even Esteban Loaiza. He's John Patterson. Don't expect Cy Young numbers, and you won't be disappointed. He had a chance to be a very good starter but, with all young pitchers, you'll have to expect some bumps in the road.

Look at Prior's last outing. Look at Greinke's. It happens to all young pitchers. And c'mon, the Mets lineup isn't exactly chopped liver either. Cut the man some slack. IT WAS STILL A QUALITY START! 6 IP, 3 ERs. If that's a bad start from a waiver-wire pickup, I'll take it 100% of the time!

Exactly. The only starter I can pull off the top of my head who hasn't had a "worse" game this year is Willis (Clemens had a similar one). Santana got tagged in his first outing, Beckett got roughed up a bit yesterday, Smoltz had his bad first start, RJ had problems with both the red sox and D-rays... go ahead and dump him if you want. Just don't moan about it later.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RC » Tue May 03, 2005 9:45 am

Couple of things I noticed about Patterson during the Mets game:

He started clocking 94mph with his fastball in the first two innings. He then had the long inning where the Mets scored the bulk of their runs and his velocity started to creep downward (clocked 91 in the 6th pretty consistently).

But early on, his curveball was almost 'too god' in that it broke a little early and the Mets just layed off. Once his velocity dipped a little, his curve started to work a little and he got a few late K's, if memory serves.

He was at 107 pitches by the end of the 6th, so Frank pulled him. I think it was a good move.

Not sure what to make of the dip in velocity, but he could be one of those pitchers that throws a little better with a bit of fatigue in his arm.

Hope that's of some help.

RC
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Tue May 03, 2005 10:00 am

I watched the whole game (I'm a Patterson owner in both big money leagues I'm in) with my buddies and although I was definitely boasting about my prized starter pitching against their Mets, instead of them beating him up for struggling I got some comments from them about his stuff. He was definitely battling and he just had some trouble putting guys away (Hence why he intentionally walked Valent after a 1-2 count to load the bases with Heilman on deck). The Mets have a solid lineup with some good hitters and he just didn't have his best stuff (The stuff that puts people away) and he got away with a decent outing. I expect good things from him and am far from concerned about it and from the impartial viewers I was with, they think he should be fine as well. I liked what I saw out of him, he battled hard and got out of some jams.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 03, 2005 10:16 am

Patterson does look like he's turning a corner and I'm happy for him. He seems to be a good fit in Washington.

However, I'll always remember him as the crumb-bum pitcher he was for the D-Backs in 2003. He was absolutely awful, I remember dreading the days he took the mound because he routinely imploded by the 3rd inning. His numbers for Arizona in 2003- 1-4, 6.05 ERA.

There was talk about him being taken under Randy Johnson's wing that year though and you always would see them talking in the dugout... perhaps he learned a few tricks.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue May 03, 2005 11:09 am

I had him going in an NL only league.

Last game of the night and I'm down bye a few points, I need the win.

They pull him for Ayala. Wow, talk about luck. I have Ayala also. I can still get the win!!

Then Ayala gets rocked for the first time this year :-P .

Oh well............

J. Patterson will be just fine. I'm sticking with him.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers