John Patterson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Patterson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Patterson

Postby Steve Eckstut » Mon May 02, 2005 10:53 am

I watched the 6th inning last night and his control looked a bit off. It could've been that he was over 100 pitches, but I looked at his stat line for the game and it wasn't that good. So which Patterson can I expect? The one from early in the season or the one from last night?
Steve Eckstut
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Mon May 02, 2005 11:08 am

Double digit wins and a 3.50 ERA is not an unreasonble assumption. But he is not going to pitch like his first 4 starts all season, that's for sure.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 11:25 am

He had a pretty good game last night...not great, but not bad. Cliff Floyd had some really tough ABs against him and seemed to take a lot out of him. I wouldn't read too much in to the 6th inning, he ended it with a strikeout, and wanted to continue pitching in to the 7th. Don't forget, the 6th inning is where he had to face the heart of the lineup.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Frances The Mute » Mon May 02, 2005 11:52 am

not quite as sharp as ihs first 4 games, but really, take away that dumb error he made in the 1st or second inning where he let the guy run home, and beltran did a bit of damage and a red hot cliff floyd.....
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby The_Idiot » Mon May 02, 2005 12:14 pm

I was able to watch patterson for the 1st time last night and while he didn't pitch all that badly, I worry that it doesn't look like has a real "out" pitch. Seems like the Mets were battling him all night and he just couldn't punch the batters out.
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:21 pm

The_Idiot wrote:I was able to watch patterson for the 1st time last night and while he didn't pitch all that badly, I worry that it doesn't look like has a real "out" pitch. Seems like the Mets were battling him all night and he just couldn't punch the batters out.

His curve is his out pitch. The only problem is that New York's two best hitters (Beltran and Floyd) are both left handers, and the right handed curve doesn't work nearly as well vs lefties.

He's better than he showed last night, New York is just a tough matchup for him with two great lefties.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon May 02, 2005 12:34 pm

As a Patterson owner last night was the first time I got to watch him pitch as well.

He looked pretty decent. Kept his team in the game. Any SP that can go six innings and give up three runs has a place on most fantasy squads.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby saxeT1979 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:35 pm

There are a lot of good lefties in MLB. Several teams have at least 2 (sometimes more) solid left-handed hitters. He will need to find a way to pitch to them or else he's in trouble.
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:36 pm

saxeT1979 wrote:There are a lot of good lefties in MLB. Several teams have at least 2 (sometimes more) solid left-handed hitters. He will need to find a way to pitch to them or else he's in trouble.

Floyd is the hottest left handed hitter in the league right now...he won't have to face him every time out.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:38 pm

Also, left handers are hitting .197 against him this year...and I'm pretty sure that includes last night. He doesn't have a problem getting most of them out, just the extremely tough ones (like Floyd and Beltran). They're not exactly easy to get out though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers