Thome's back - possibly DL bound - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thome's back - possibly DL bound

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Mon May 02, 2005 6:12 pm

rmeesig wrote:
Laean wrote:i am so sorry. i had no idea this howard's apparent godliness that everyone else is aware of and dared to actually ask a question that was on my mind. i profusely apologize.

Paying attention to a club's minor league activity can only make you a better fantasy baseball manager. No need to patronize.

I really hope they bring up Howard. 2 years on my minor league roster in my keeper league!!!

i understand that paying attention to a team's minor system is a good thing. i have no problem with that. i only didn't like the defensive and condescending way HE first answered my post.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Mon May 02, 2005 9:33 pm

Yoda wrote:Does anyone else think that Thome's back problems are a lot worse than we realize? He's had back spasms in ST, nearly two months ago. He even came out and said that he doesn't know if going on the DL will help his back.

He is not exactly spring chicken and he has the most violent swing I've ever seen. Prolly puts more stress on his back than most players do. I just grabbed Howard and hoping for the best.

ya im very worried about Thome's back, reminds me of Sam Cassell in basketball (old guy i took in 3rd rd) , least this is probably why hes been suckin when playing, but it could be bad. No real votes of confidence from anyone, im thinking try & trade him now , someone might think he'll rebound. tough call
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon May 02, 2005 9:45 pm

Laean wrote:
rmeesig wrote:
Laean wrote:i am so sorry. i had no idea this howard's apparent godliness that everyone else is aware of and dared to actually ask a question that was on my mind. i profusely apologize.

Paying attention to a club's minor league activity can only make you a better fantasy baseball manager. No need to patronize.

I really hope they bring up Howard. 2 years on my minor league roster in my keeper league!!!

i understand that paying attention to a team's minor system is a good thing. i have no problem with that. i only didn't like the defensive and condescending way HE first answered my post.

"I don't see why they would bring up a AAA player" isn't a question.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Cooner » Mon May 02, 2005 9:45 pm

slomo007 wrote:I'm going to wait about a week and try to buy low. He may never recover, but I'm willing to bet I could get him for a bag of peanuts right now.

You've got a bag of peanuts? Um.... salted or unsalted? If they're honey-roasted it's a deal :-[
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AznHisoka » Mon May 02, 2005 10:18 pm

I already picked up Howard from FA in my Yahoo league. Turns out he's on the database listed as "N/A". For those of you with Thome, picking up Howard ain't a bad idea if you got roster space.
AznHisoka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby daullaz » Mon May 02, 2005 10:40 pm

In one dynasty league I'm in, I took Thome pretty early in the draft. Luckily, I picked up Howard in the last round. As long as one of them is at first for the Phillies, I'm good to go. If it's Utley, or if for some ungodly reason Perez continues at first, I'm in trouble (as are the Phillies).
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue May 03, 2005 8:16 am

Well I was able to buy low on him I thought. (Graves,Nevin for Thome,Od.Perez) I had 5 closers and Graves was killing my Whip/ERA. I'm always willing to take a gamble on some stud that is struggling. And if he has to go on the DL and I lose him for 4 weeks or so but he comes back 100% its worth the gamble I say. There's usually always someone out there that can plug a hole for a little while until he comes back. The lack of info about how serious his injury is may scare you some but it's certainly gonna scare the owner of him more. And offering someone you really don't care about or don't have use for to get a guy like Thome is something that should be done. I'd say if he goes on the DL and misses about 4 weeks but is able to come back 100% he's still gonna hit 30+ bombs and drive in 80+ RBI. Same reason why everyone is hanging onto Bonds because they know when he does come back its gravy.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rmeesig » Tue May 03, 2005 7:04 pm

wrveres wrote:
rmeesig wrote:

and that my friends is patience ..

also a quality attribute of a "better fantasy manager" ;-D

heh..thanks. And after 2 years, my patience has paid off!!

Now he better hit!
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bukoski77 » Tue May 03, 2005 7:12 pm

rmeesig wrote:

Same here. 2 years running in a keeper league now :-D .
Maybe I can finally live down being the guy that dropped Dontrelle Willis after he got rocked in his 2nd big league start in 2003 :-P .
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby xeifrank » Tue May 03, 2005 7:28 pm

I grabbed Howard in my keeper league, and a few other leagues. Like the ones in which I had Thome rostered and a few others that I had a dud that needed replacing anyways... seems like I have alot of them this year... duds that is!

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext