Thome's back - possibly DL bound - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thome's back - possibly DL bound

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon May 02, 2005 6:09 am

Laean wrote:does this mean utley will play full time while thome's out? in yahoo utley has 1b eligility, which means he's played there before, at least 5 games last year .... if they already got utley who's hitting .300+ and 3 hrs in limited appearances that can play 1b, i don't see why they would bring up a AAA player.

am i right? wrong? i took a gamble and replaced v diaz with utley in my final Uti spot a few minutes before midnight in my weekly update h2h league.

Maybe because the AAA player in question led the minors in homeruns last year?

Maybe because he was MVP in A ball in 2003 and MVP in AA ball in 2004?

Maybe because he's batting 316/423/570 in AAA?

Howard wil lgive them a hell of a lot more than playing Polanco everyday, and moving Utley to 1B.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbones733 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:47 am

i unfortuantley have Thome, i owuldnt sell him low, but i would sell him for sure, for a mid starter a decent bat, but i guess im gonna have to sit on him.
curse of the 1st basemen w me last year Sexson, this year Thome :-o
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Mon May 02, 2005 9:48 am

Courier Post wrote:To DL or not DL: Jim Thome isn't healthy.
Neither is Kenny Lofton and there are some doubts about several other nonpitchers in the clubhouse.

And yet, none of the above are thinking about the disabled list, at least not today. Tomorrow, well that's another question.

"I don't want it to get to that point," said Thome, who has had back spasms on and off since spring training and aggravated his back in Saturday night's 2-1 loss to the Marlins when he broke up a double play. "But this is something - we have great trainers who do a wonderful job. Let's see how it progresses, and we'll go from there."

Meanwhile, a short bench - due to 12 pitchers - is getting even shorter as manager Charlie Manuel sits players to try and get them healthy.

"I want a full bench," Manuel said. "I want to play with a full deck. We need to get healthy. We need a full roster.

"I'm not happy but I've been there before. Once you make the decision to put someone (on the disabled list) it's done. That's 15 days, not four or five. Got to give him a day or two and see where (Lofton's) at. If you can't play, you can't play."

Thome agreed, but that doesn't mean he wants to sit. He also knows that he can help this team, but he needs to be healthy to do so.

"You have to do the best thing for your club," Thome said. "You've got to prepare every day to get on the field."

Which makes it questionable why, with a bad back, it wouldn't be better to have him sit out a 10-game road trip of hotel beds, planes, trains and automobiles.

"There is that concern, yeah," said Thome, who nevertheless will travel to New York, Chicago and Milwaukee over the next two weeks. "I'll be on the trip, for sure.

"You want to do the best you can to be on the field. At the same time, you don't want to put Charlie in an uncomfortable spot. We'll sit down in the next day or two and talk it over."

Understand, Thome won't use his bad back as an excuse, but it's hard not to see that his .203 average along with one home run and 12 RBIs is below the Phillies' and Thome's expectations.

"I don't want to say that," Thome said of the fact his hitting has suffered since a road trip to Atlanta in which his back flared up. "For me, that would be an excuse."

"His back's been hurting coming and going," Manuel said. "Sooner or later I want him well. I want to put Thome out there healthy. If he's not well, we'll sit down and make some arrangements about it."
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Laean » Mon May 02, 2005 10:04 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Laean wrote:does this mean utley will play full time while thome's out? in yahoo utley has 1b eligility, which means he's played there before, at least 5 games last year .... if they already got utley who's hitting .300+ and 3 hrs in limited appearances that can play 1b, i don't see why they would bring up a AAA player.

am i right? wrong? i took a gamble and replaced v diaz with utley in my final Uti spot a few minutes before midnight in my weekly update h2h league.

Maybe because he was MVP in A ball in 2003 and MVP in AA ball in 2004?

Maybe because he's batting 316/423/570 in AAA?

Howard wil lgive them a hell of a lot more than playing Polanco everyday, and moving Utley to 1B.

i am so sorry. i had no idea this howard's apparent godliness that everyone else is aware of and dared to actually ask a question that was on my mind. i profusely apologize.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rmeesig » Mon May 02, 2005 10:44 am

Laean wrote:i am so sorry. i had no idea this howard's apparent godliness that everyone else is aware of and dared to actually ask a question that was on my mind. i profusely apologize.

Paying attention to a club's minor league activity can only make you a better fantasy baseball manager. No need to patronize.

I really hope they bring up Howard. 2 years on my minor league roster in my keeper league!!!
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shuffcard » Mon May 02, 2005 10:50 am

Howard is definitely a stud.

As a thome owner, I am hoping for a speedy and full recovery from thome but i will be quick to pick up howard if it turns into somehting long term.

Howard is no doubt ready to produce at the big league and has even requested a trade i beleive
shuffcard
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Mon May 02, 2005 11:53 am

rmeesig wrote:
Laean wrote:i am so sorry. i had no idea this howard's apparent godliness that everyone else is aware of and dared to actually ask a question that was on my mind. i profusely apologize.

Paying attention to a club's minor league activity can only make you a better fantasy baseball manager. No need to patronize.

I really hope they bring up Howard. 2 years on my minor league roster in my keeper league!!!

and that my friends is patience ..

also a quality attribute of a "better fantasy manager" ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 12:52 pm

Does anyone else think that Thome's back problems are a lot worse than we realize? He's had back spasms in ST, nearly two months ago. He even came out and said that he doesn't know if going on the DL will help his back.

He is not exactly spring chicken and he has the most violent swing I've ever seen. Prolly puts more stress on his back than most players do. I just grabbed Howard and hoping for the best.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Mon May 02, 2005 1:22 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

Didn't McPherson lead the minors in HRs in 04? :-?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Talyn » Mon May 02, 2005 1:36 pm

Yoda wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

Didn't McPherson lead the minors in HRs in 04? :-?

No, Howard hit 37 HRs in AA, and 9 in AAA. While McPherson hit 20 in AA, and 20 in AAA.
As far as god is concerned, if he starts using an energy consuming kind of blower or electric blanket, I’ll kick his ass too.
- Brad Rifkin, January 18th, 2001
Talyn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers