Thome's back - possibly DL bound - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thome's back - possibly DL bound

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thome's back - possibly DL bound

Postby nmarq8 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:53 am

I just found this from Fanball, doesn't look too good, especially with his awful start.

May 2 Phillies' first baseman Jim Thome sat out of Sunday's game against the Marlins because of his strained lower back. He left Saturday's game in the fourth inning because of the spasms in his back and showed no improvement on Sunday, saying it feels the same way it did when he injured it in spring training and missed more than a week. "It's been frustrating in the sense that it keeps coming back," Thome told MLB.com. "But it hasn't gotten to the point where I need to take a few weeks off. Let's see where we progress the next couple of days. The trainers here do a great job, and you have to do what's best for the club. I tried resting it, and I really don't know what the answer is."
Views: The Phillies are running low on healthy bodies on the bench so don't be surprised if they place Thome on the disabled list and call up Ryan Howard from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the next 48 hours.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4762/news
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:55 am

I'm going to wait about a week and try to buy low. He may never recover, but I'm willing to bet I could get him for a bag of peanuts right now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby mamorris » Mon May 02, 2005 2:35 am

What's the bet Ryan Howard hits more home runs during Thome's DL stint (if there is one) than Thome has all season...
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Iconoclastic » Mon May 02, 2005 2:44 am

slomo007 wrote:I'm going to wait about a week and try to buy low. He may never recover, but I'm willing to bet I could get him for a bag of peanuts right now.

Who would you offer for him?
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:55 am

Iconoclastic wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I'm going to wait about a week and try to buy low. He may never recover, but I'm willing to bet I could get him for a bag of peanuts right now.

Who would you offer for him?

It would really depend on what position my opponent is weak in. But a mid-tier starter, or bottom tier closer sounds about right at this point. His owners have to be frustrated.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Mon May 02, 2005 3:22 am

Figures, I just got him in a deal. I should trade him away again so that I can save the Phils and everyone else who owns him. :-[
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bselig » Mon May 02, 2005 3:31 am

A mere bottom tier closer? I don't own Thome in any league, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't trade him for a Turnbow or a Graves. Much rather hang on to him...
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Laean » Mon May 02, 2005 3:44 am

does this mean utley will play full time while thome's out? in yahoo utley has 1b eligility, which means he's played there before, at least 5 games last year .... if they already got utley who's hitting .300+ and 3 hrs in limited appearances that can play 1b, i don't see why they would bring up a AAA player.

am i right? wrong? i took a gamble and replaced v diaz with utley in my final Uti spot a few minutes before midnight in my weekly update h2h league.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tmoney » Mon May 02, 2005 4:23 am

;-D I definately agree with this idea. I just hope noone else gets to him before I make my offer. I think I am going to try to include Kaz and a pitcher in the trade, not sure if that will work though.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon May 02, 2005 4:28 am

I would have to agree there...I bet Manuel drooled at the chance to put Polanco and Utley out there at the same time. Now he can do it if Thome is out.

I'd say Utley may be worth a look if you have a poor hitting 2B and can spare the room. Heck, if he keeps hitting well maybe they will finally scrap the platoon experiment and keep him in there full time. If they do, you'll be all set! ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers