A question on H2H stratergy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A question on H2H stratergy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A question on H2H stratergy

Postby toddae » Sun May 01, 2005 9:02 pm

I drafted my team pretty much for power (totally ignored speed). I'm in a 16 Yahoo! H2H league, and currently in 3rd, so I've been doing ok.

Categories as follows:

Batting: R, HR, RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP
Pitching: IP, W, L, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

However, I've been able to maintain my position even though my OF (consisting of Bay, Giles, and Millar) is pretty weak right now, and I don't feel confident I can keep wining with it.

To remedy this I'm considering trading away my only closer (Lidge) for an OF heavyweight (don't be alarmed this isn't a trade question). I'm pretty confident in my starting rotation. I've been winning most pitching categories, except for saves as Hou hasn't been able to get Lidge opportunities anyway.

In doing so, I realize I will be sacrificing an entire category. Offensively I've done okay so far by giving up on SB. However, I am wondering if there is anything I might not be seeing. Would I be giving up more than just saves by not having Lidge on my roster? Im soliciting opinions on this; does anyone have one?

Cheers.
toddae
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby toddae » Mon May 02, 2005 12:14 am

anyone?
toddae
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bd3521 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:18 am

Lidge and K-Rod are the two untradeable closers for me
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nmarq8 » Mon May 02, 2005 12:31 am

i think closers are the most overrated position in h2h. in drafts i never pick them until rounds 7 or 8. a good closer obviously helps keep your era and whip down while giving you k's, but so will a good middle reliever. having that said, you can stay competitive in h2h with only one good closer and a MR. I'm against punting categories, but if there are top notch available MR's available on the WW in your league who could end up as closers later on the season (i.e. street, m.gonzalez - should mesa's arm actually fall off, etc.), then trading lidge would be one way to boost your OF. maybe see if you can package lidge and an OF for a better OF and worse closer.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Mon May 02, 2005 1:55 am

I would look around the league a bit first. If there are other teams with no closers, then I would try to keep one closer (though it need not be Lidge... a Turnbow/Batista type is just fine) with the idea that you can "steal" the saves category with one closer on some weeks. If that's the case, I'd try to deal Lidge/OF for top OF/poor closer. If everyone else has and plays one or more closers, then sure, punting saves isn't a bad thing (since you may lose that category most of the time anyway). In that case, try to do Lidge for a top OF or Lidge/OF for an even better one.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:35 am

I'm inclined to agree that Lidge and KRod would be worth > an OF as, even though they are very effective closers, few owners are going to deal a top-tier OF for either of them so...they will give you a consortium of maybe 3rd tier guys or perhaps a 2nd tier guy and a 3rd tier guy, maybe asking for one of your scrubs to be tossed in too.

If you can match Lidge w/ one of your own OF and get a top tier OF (eg. Edmonds or above?), it would be worth it but I'm not sure I'd trade a big OF for a closer. I have gotten some very amusing offers for KRod though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby BigMusky » Mon May 02, 2005 11:18 am

with only one closer I feel that you have already given up on the catagory....so you might as well stop pretending like you are competing for saves. And you can replace everything else Lidge gives you probably with some Middle Relief. So I would do it, but dont sell Lidge cheap.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 02, 2005 11:36 am

In a 16-team league you probably still have a shot at the SV category each week. I agree that closers are a little overrated in H2H but a closer like Lidge also gives you those Ks and helps pad the ratios consistently. If you have faith that your rotation can handle the loss of whatever Lidge gives than I would definitely trade him to upgrade my OF if I felt that was what my team needed. But why not package Lidge/OF for an upgrade in the OF and a downgrade at closer? A lower tier closer, like Looper or someone, is still going to give you a shot at the category each week.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Mon May 02, 2005 4:02 pm

Since you're already basically punting steals, I think rather than punting saves too you'd be better served to just sit tight with Lidge and pay close attention to the newswire and grab up a new closer or closers when someone gets either hurt or loses their job and try to grab their replacement. In a 16 team league, you have a top 5 guy for saves. If you can snag 1, and maybe 2 guys, over the course of the season that keep their jobs (Turnbow was one, Burgos may have been another -remains to be seen-) then you should be able to handle that category come playoff time if you make it.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby toddae » Mon May 02, 2005 8:00 pm

Thanks for all the input. It's a lot to mull over, so I think I'll sit tight for a bit.

Cheers! ;-D
toddae
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers