someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RAmst23 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:01 am

Kinda mentioned before, but the closest comparison to Johan this season is Javier. Vazquez had awesome K/BB ratios, while Ollie has awful one's.

Perez is starting to turn into a one-dimensional fantasy producer, all in K's. Playing for the Pirates he's not going to pick up Wins, and he'll probably kill your WHIP for the remainder of the season even if he bounces back. So, you get a 12 win guy with a high WHIP and maybe an average ERA for the season? You have to know when to cut your guys, maybe trade him to a guy in your league who thinks he'll bounce back??

I avoided him in the 7 leagues I'm in just because I don't think he's ready to be a consistently good starter.. If you can't trade him, don't drop him though. He'll probably post a great month or two along with the crap, but don't forget he still plays for the Pirates. Not many wins coming his way.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mamorris » Mon May 02, 2005 2:52 am

someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot???

If for no other reason, somebody will give you something better than a free-agent. That said, if Maddux is available, I'd drop someone else and get Maddux ASAP.

One problem I have is the logic that you don't drop somebody purely because they were a high draft pick. In business that would be called a "sunk cost". You don't factor it in when making decisions for the future. Put simply, if a guy sucks, he sucks no matter where he was drafted. I'm not saying that applies here, since surely someone will be ready to take a chance on the fact he'll go back to what he did last year (not me though).
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby WittyC » Mon May 02, 2005 4:40 am

Mercer Boy wrote:
hybrid wrote:An A's fan not looking at stats, interesting. ;-)

Anyways, my assumption is that something is wrong with him. Of course there is the possibility he could turn it around, I just don't see it happening soon unless he makes some major changes quickly.

Could not pitching in winter ball (he has done so every year up until this one because they didn't want him throwing out his arm) be what is wrong? Maybe he hasn't worked the rust off yet. But I admit, this walking business has to stop...even if it is something he has done all his career. I had him down for 23 BB in 30 IP, so that would be a 0.77 WIP (not WHIP, we're just talking walks per IP !+) ). If it's 23 in 28, we're up to 0.82! 8-o

I'm getting in late here, but if my memory serves me right (which it often doesn't) he didn't play in winter ball in part because he had a sore shoulder that even carried over into spring training. That was a reason why I didn't target him in my drafts and auctions.

That being said, even last year Perez didn't have great control with 81 walks in less than 200 innings of work (a 0.41 W/IP). His ratio is quite a bit worse this year, but if he can start hitting the strike zone again, he'll be fine.

Keep in mind, Randy Johnson had a 0.63 W/IP ratio in his first four full seasons in the big leagues. He didn't start to put up his "video game numbers" until '93 when his W/IP dipped to 0.38. Perez was in that realm last year, and if he recovers from this and gets down in that 0.30 range that Randy had during his time in Arizona, he could be scary good.

In other words, I would strongly suggest you find a seat for him on your bench.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon May 02, 2005 7:47 am

RAmst23 wrote:Kinda mentioned before, but the closest comparison to Johan this season is Javier. Vazquez had awesome K/BB ratios, while Ollie has awful one's.

Perez is starting to turn into a one-dimensional fantasy producer, all in K's. Playing for the Pirates he's not going to pick up Wins, and he'll probably kill your WHIP for the remainder of the season even if he bounces back. So, you get a 12 win guy with a high WHIP and maybe an average ERA for the season? You have to know when to cut your guys, maybe trade him to a guy in your league who thinks he'll bounce back??

I avoided him in the 7 leagues I'm in just because I don't think he's ready to be a consistently good starter.. If you can't trade him, don't drop him though. He'll probably post a great month or two along with the crap, but don't forget he still plays for the Pirates. Not many wins coming his way.

You can't trade him now. You won't get anything for him, and what if he does turn it around, even for 2 weeks? You definitely got ripped off then. Oh, GSes, you say its about his control, not stats, but last time I checked, walks and K/BB were statistics :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Mon May 02, 2005 10:16 am

I'm feeling pretty good about holding off on a couple of these guys. I just can't believe how one year of pitching fairly consistently can turn you into the "elite". Perez has nasty stuff but is really young and you will have to figure on some ups and downs, maybe for months at a time.

Anyway, I think it's kind of funny that people say you can't drop a guy like this...don't any of you remember that only a year ago this guy was perennial waiver wire fodder? He's always had the stuff and always had control problems. I probably wouldn't dump him quite yet, but I guess since I didn't use my 3rd or 4th round pick on a HUGE question mark, I would have an easier time dumping him.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers