someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Sun May 01, 2005 5:18 pm

hybrid wrote:I'm not saying drop him, cause everyone obviously took him fairly high, so you have to hang on to him and hope he turns it around.

With that in mind, I don't understand why people keep bringing up Santana and trying to compare the two. Besides just having a high ERA and being lefties, they don't have anything really in common.

A big reason why most thought Santana was doing poorly was due to tipping his pitches. Also he still had a pretty good BB/K ratio (19/54). Santana's WHIP was 1.50 over the first two months and only 1.34 in the first month.

Perez has just been flat out awful, his WHIP is 1.86. His walk ratio is the highest in his young career, and he isn't showing any progress. If you saw his game against the Astros, he didn't pitch as well as his stats indicate. His BB/K ratio is now an ungodly 23/28.

You really have to wonder if there is something wrong with him, like an injury. Because he has regressed to beyond even a few years ago when he was wild.

He may be hurt. I've said it so many times already (I've also said it in public drafts where the idiots think a tough delivery isn't basis for future problems) that Oliver Perez's throwing motion cannot be good for his arm. He's #1 on my list for future Tommy John surgery, although the Cubs' pitchers are close. Livan's PCs are insane, but he's a machine.

I wouldn't go as far as dropping him, though. Just think of how dominant he was last year. He also had tremendous potential prior to that...just that nobody thought he'd break out this soon. I probably wouldn't start him until he irons his problems out, but his immense potential simply makes him too valuable to flat out drop.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun May 01, 2005 5:20 pm

An A's fan not looking at stats, interesting. ;-)

Anyways, my assumption is that something is wrong with him. Of course there is the possibility he could turn it around, I just don't see it happening soon unless he makes some major changes quickly.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 01, 2005 6:06 pm

GSes wrote:the comparison is based on the simple fact that it is early in the year, and at any point a guy can get hot, get domiant, and turn things around making everyone forget they started slowly

Just because it's early in the year doesn't really mean anything. Like Hybrid pointed out there were a lot of indicators (including incredibly bad luck) last year that Santana was much better than his performances. On the other hand, Ollie is pitching like crap (8 HR 23 BB in 31+ IP). Of course I'm not suggesting you drop him because if you own Perez in a redraft you probably reached for him. But if you weren't already it's definitely time to worry. :-o
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 01, 2005 6:28 pm

hybrid wrote:An A's fan not looking at stats, interesting. ;-)

Anyways, my assumption is that something is wrong with him. Of course there is the possibility he could turn it around, I just don't see it happening soon unless he makes some major changes quickly.

Could not pitching in winter ball (he has done so every year up until this one because they didn't want him throwing out his arm) be what is wrong? Maybe he hasn't worked the rust off yet. But I admit, this walking business has to stop...even if it is something he has done all his career. I had him down for 23 BB in 30 IP, so that would be a 0.77 WIP (not WHIP, we're just talking walks per IP !+) ). If it's 23 in 28, we're up to 0.82! 8-o
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby asumikey222 » Sun May 01, 2005 6:38 pm

The only good thing I can say about him is that even though I was somewhat high on him I only have him in 2/10 leagues. The guy is just murder. I'll still stash him for a few more starts in case some miracle (literally) occurs and he turns it around b/c he's got the potential.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GSes » Sun May 01, 2005 6:53 pm

hybrid wrote:An A's fan not looking at stats, interesting. ;-)

are u guys fricking kidding me?

ALL MY REASONS for telling people last season santana would turn it around WAS BASED ON STATS.

just like i told ppl vazquez would bounce back BASED ON STATS

dont even try to give me that bullcrap garbage.

as far as oliver perez goes, i avoided him in drafts b/c I was not confident in him, for the very reason he is having problems right now

HIS CONTROL. that being said THE REASON HE COULD turn it around is if he FINDS HIS CONTROL

is that so hard for you guys to comprehend??? It is all simple CONTROL, F**K stats, his stats are ugly cuz he has no control, if he finds the control the stats get a lot better

hello?

ok i made my point, don't ever try to say i don't look at stats, that is a gigantic insult.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Sun May 01, 2005 7:02 pm

Ok, GSes ... first talk a deep breath and calm down.

I guess you didn't see the sarcasm in my post when I mentioned stats, I tried to give it away with the emoticon. Maybe I should of used the tongue and cheek one?

On Perez, well he has never had good control, so it's a lot more doubtful he would find it and turn it around so easily.

Oh yeah, and did I mention calm down? You just blew up for completely no reason, maybe you should try and "control" your emotions. :-b (kidding around here, notice the silly emoticon)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GSes » Sun May 01, 2005 7:11 pm

hybrid wrote:Ok, GSes ... first talk a deep breath and calm down.

I guess you didn't see the sarcasm in my post when I mentioned stats, I tried to give it away with the emoticon. Maybe I should of used the tongue and cheek one?

On Perez, well he has never had good control, so it's a lot more doubtful he would find it and turn it around so easily.

Oh yeah, and did I mention calm down? You just blew up for completely no reason, maybe you should try and "control" your emotions. :-b (kidding around here, notice the silly emoticon)

my bad

i have control problems, maybe I will call Oli and we can go to a class togher or something ;-D
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dracovonborax » Sun May 01, 2005 7:25 pm

ok...so i can't dump him...do i deal him for CC Sabathia knowing that i'm losing in "value" but the production is there. fortunately, i'm in an auction league and i got Ollie for $12... guess i was the only one in my league who thought he would do well.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bselig » Sun May 01, 2005 8:11 pm

If you want to deal him I think you should wait until his value increases. You never want to deal a guy at a low point, and Perez looks like he might be at or near a low. How much worse can he get? I never viewed this guy as the ace of a fantasy staff, but the potential for 250 k's is too valuable to deal him for change.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers