someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

someone tell me why i shouldn't give Ollie P the boot???

Postby dracovonborax » Sun May 01, 2005 4:29 pm

greg Maddux is sitting in fa now and i can't see any real reason not to drop ollie and pick him up. out of 5 stars now he has had 1 good outing and i daresay this will be a trend. i know he's suppose to be good...but let's face is, so was Rick Ankiel.
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stoner420 » Sun May 01, 2005 4:35 pm

i still wouldnt dump him... if theres room on your bench just leave ollie to chill there for a while. he could really come back... and then you would feel really dumb
stoner420
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GSes » Sun May 01, 2005 4:37 pm

people said the exact same thing 1 month ago about Johan Santana

"he is supposed to be good, but so was another guy"

cuz at this time 1 year ago Johan's ERA was like 6

then we all kno what happen.

Oliver Perez has nasty nasty stuff, that being said he does walk a lot of guys and when his command isnt on, he will have problems. He is very young and and last season he showed what he is going to be doing year in and year out at some point in his career. I was not convinced that time is here yet, which is why i did not draft him on any of my teams.

The thing is Oliver has such amazing stuff, that at any point this season he could just get it going and return to his dominant 2004 form.............he gave everyone a preview the other night.

Oliver Perez is simply not a guy you can drop, just like I said last year at this time Johan Santana is not a guy you can drop. Oliver could and most likely will go on a dominant stretch once he puts it together, just be patient.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun May 01, 2005 4:43 pm

I'm not even being homeristic, but Perez is surely NOT Ankiel...

At least the catcher catches his horrible throws. ;-7

Yeah, I don't know what to make of him. He had control problems up until last year, so this is nothing new. I just hope he can settle down at some point and focus on throwing strikes. If he does that, the hitters will more than likely get themselves out because it's so hard to pick up where he's throwing the ball from. But, until he starts putting it in there, if I'm a hitter I'm taking more often than not on the first one or two pitches.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dracovonborax » Sun May 01, 2005 4:53 pm

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:43 am Post subject:
I'm not even being homeristic, but Perez is surely NOT Ankiel...

At least the catcher catches his horrible throws. tongue-in-cheek.gif

that's the first time i've smiled since the game... you are right, of course, Rick was much worse. i was lucky enough to get to goto that playoff game cards vs. braves and saw Ankiel blow up for the 1st time. fortunaltly the cards won but i'll never forget it...no way should he have been in there against Maddux..i blame La Russa for ruining Ankiel( not a popular opinion..i know)
thanks for the smile :-]
dracovonborax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trazcon » Sun May 01, 2005 4:57 pm

*Wishes someone in my league drop Ollie*

I'd love to reap the benefits of someone else's impatience...
"I think they out to get me, helpless was livin' sinful. If you was me all this pain I'm feelin would been done killed you"-- Nas
Trazcon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun May 01, 2005 5:01 pm

Its silly to drop him. One, its April. Two, you totally wasted your pick then, even more so if he bounces back. Three, if he has a couple good starts in a row you can trade him if you hate him so much.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 01, 2005 5:03 pm

Trazcon wrote:*Wishes someone in my league drop Ollie*

I'd love to reap the benefits of someone else's impatience...

i did and i won because of it with john patterson....

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sun May 01, 2005 5:04 pm

I'm not saying drop him, cause everyone obviously took him fairly high, so you have to hang on to him and hope he turns it around.

With that in mind, I don't understand why people keep bringing up Santana and trying to compare the two. Besides just having a high ERA and being lefties, they don't have anything really in common.

A big reason why most thought Santana was doing poorly was due to tipping his pitches. Also he still had a pretty good BB/K ratio (19/54). Santana's WHIP was 1.50 over the first two months and only 1.34 in the first month.

Perez has just been flat out awful, his WHIP is 1.86. His walk ratio is the highest in his young career, and he isn't showing any progress. If you saw his game against the Astros, he didn't pitch as well as his stats indicate. His BB/K ratio is now an ungodly 23/28.

You really have to wonder if there is something wrong with him, like an injury. Because he has regressed to beyond even a few years ago when he was wild.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GSes » Sun May 01, 2005 5:08 pm

hybrid wrote:I'm not saying drop him, cause everyone obviously took him fairly high, so you have to hang on to him and hope he turns it around.

With that in mind, I don't understand why people keep bringing up Santana and trying to compare the two. Besides just having a high ERA and being lefties, they don't have anything really in common.

A big reason why most thought Santana was doing poorly was due to tipping his pitches. Also he still had a pretty good BB/K ratio (19/54). Santana's WHIP was 1.50 over the first two months and only 1.34 in the first month.

Perez has just been flat out awful, his WHIP is 1.86. His walk ratio is the highest in his young career, and he isn't showing any progress. If you saw his game against the Astros, he didn't pitch as well as his stats indicate. His BB/K ratio is now an ungodly 23/28.

You really have to wonder if there is something wrong with him, like an injury. Because he has regressed to beyond even a few years ago when he was wild.

the comparison is not based on their stats

the comparison is based on the simple fact that it is early in the year, and at any point a guy can get hot, get domiant, and turn things around making everyone forget they started slowly
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers