Burgos great appearence - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burgos great appearence

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Mon May 02, 2005 2:59 pm

Keep in mind that Affeldt might be a prime trade candidate for KC. Success by Burgos would make it easier for KC to trade Affeldt to a contender desperate for saves (SF?). So even if Affeldt is put back in the closer role after a strong performance by Burgos, Burgos may well still be someone to keep a very close eye on.

Gammons makes mention of the possibility of Affeldt being traded:

Come July, the Royals will be looking to make some deals for young players. Mike Sweeney would love to go to the Dodgers. Brian Anderson could be available, as could Jeremy Affeldt, who will be a fourth-year arbitration case at the end of the season.

And yes, KC ownership IS that cheap that they'd trade Affeldt to get out of arbitration. Take what you will from Gammons as a source ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 02, 2005 2:59 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Burgos probably won't keep the job when Affeldt is ready to return but there is always that chance. So in the meanttime the kid looks pretty good, can get you some SVs and heck, you just might get lucky. ;-)

He had a 4.38 ERA in single A last year, and you expect him to be a good closer in the Majors? No way, I know he's young, but you don't just make a jump and excell unless you're a true phenom (ie Prior) .

I have a feeling the venting forum will be crowded after he gets lit up a few times.

He also had control issues that have apparently been rectified. I was't even familiar with Burgos before this year so I'm in no way "touting" him. You may be right and he might be a bust but it's a pretty low risk, high reward situation. There's no reason not to take a flier on him unless you're in a league with strict roster rules. You seem so anti-Burgos that you come across as having an agenda as in you're just pissed off that you missed out. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 4:02 pm

Amazinz wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Burgos probably won't keep the job when Affeldt is ready to return but there is always that chance. So in the meanttime the kid looks pretty good, can get you some SVs and heck, you just might get lucky. ;-)

He had a 4.38 ERA in single A last year, and you expect him to be a good closer in the Majors? No way, I know he's young, but you don't just make a jump and excell unless you're a true phenom (ie Prior) .

I have a feeling the venting forum will be crowded after he gets lit up a few times.

He also had control issues that have apparently been rectified. I was't even familiar with Burgos before this year so I'm in no way "touting" him. You may be right and he might be a bust but it's a pretty low risk, high reward situation. There's no reason not to take a flier on him unless you're in a league with strict roster rules. You seem so anti-Burgos that you come across as having an agenda as in you're just pissed off that you missed out. :-b

Not really, he was a FA in my league (cleared waivers) and I didn't pick him up. He's owned now, but I could have had him if I wanted him. I would be very surprised if he continues posting impressive numbers, but I will say, it's not a complete longshot.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ravenmad22 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:21 pm

Amazinz wrote:He also had control issues that have apparently been rectified. :-b

I believe he walked 2 batters in his first inning of work. That's hardly "rectifying" the problem.

Go Affeldt. Back to Single A with Burgos
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 02, 2005 6:53 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:He also had control issues that have apparently been rectified. :-b

I believe he walked 2 batters in his first inning of work. That's hardly "rectifying" the problem.

Go Affeldt. Back to Single A with Burgos

OK and he pitched the next 2.2 w/o a BB. 3.2 IP is hardly enough time to tell anything. From I've read the knock against Burgos was that he had control issues but they've "apparently been rectified" if KC was willing to give him a shot.

Go Affeldt is a smashing idea unfortunately he is currently unavailable. Burgos looks like he might be a decent option in the interim.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers