Question about MR strategy. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question about MR strategy.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about MR strategy.

Postby futanto » Sun May 01, 2005 2:14 pm

MR pitchers are supposedly a cheap way to pick up k's and ERA, and extra IP later in the season. I've also heard that they can be a source of easy wins for teams and can be an advantage if you have the right MR.
One of the hardest categories to predict for starting pitchers are their number of wins from year to year. So I was thinking, instead of holding onto mediocre starting pitchers that might have potential, I wanted to try pick up some good MR who can supplement win totals. In addition to recieving more wins, this would also free up innings played for the second half when good pitchers are dropped because teams realize they have way too many innings pitched.

Scott Shields and Rincon are two relievers that will get a lot of wins because they are on good teams and will come in when the games are close... do you guys know of any others that will probably get a good number of wins?
futanto
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Punisher » Sun May 01, 2005 2:34 pm

I think your pretty much referring to the LIMA plan there and that doesnt work so much in h2h but it definitely does in Roto.

Anyway heres a list of relievers that I think will get some nice win totals this year plus help your other stats

Brazoban once Gagne comes back
Calero
Rhodes
Romero
T. Gordon
King
Tavarez once Izzy gets back
Reitsma
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedukeorsino » Sun May 01, 2005 2:42 pm

The thing most overloooked when dealing with middle relievers (especially in non-holds leagues) is how often they are used. You can have a great MR on your team, but if he's pitching an average of less than 4 innings a week, he's not all that helpful unless you're getting holds.

Middle relievers are useful in any league, but try to get a guy like Scott Shields or Betancourt who are good for over 100 innings a season.
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tweak420 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:42 pm

I think there was a discussion on these forums about the 7inning guy vs. the 8th. The conclusion was that the 7 inning pitcher is more likely to get wins, but only a few teams have designated roles.
tweak420
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Q » Sun May 01, 2005 9:21 pm

I wrote an article on how to maximize innings pitched which talks about the MR strategy, it should help you out...
http://www.diamondgurus.com/pitchingspots.html
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rowand » Sun May 01, 2005 10:39 pm

i picked up ryan wagner and he got rocked the next day. its a great way to kill ur era as well.
AAROONNNNN RO WAND!
Rowand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dmville » Sun May 01, 2005 11:19 pm

IN our league scoring is simply IP-Runs, and MR really don't pay unless they are picked up in May for real cheap. April 1st plans are nice but May 1 realities are better.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers