Come on Texas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Come on Texas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:16 am

Michael Young isn't exactly slow, ya know. He is actually the ideal 2nd spot hitter IMO. He does it all, he's truly a tremendous player.

And nuggets, you're really underrating Blalock. He has made tremendous progress, the stats will come, don't worry about him. He's going to be awesome this year, as will Teixeira and Young.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:34 am

nuggets wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Michael Young isn't exactly slow, ya know. He is actually the ideal 2nd spot hitter IMO. He does it all, he's truly a tremendous player.

And nuggets, you're really underrating Blalock. He has made tremendous progress, the stats will come, don't worry about him. He's going to be awesome this year, as will Teixeira and Young.

Acutally no I'm not. He's just not a "contact" hitter, he stuck out 150 times last year.

I think he will do Mike Schmidt proud. ;-D
EDIT- well I guess he'd have to steal some bases too. Damn, Schmidt was a fantasy stud.

Who said Young is slow?

I thought you were advocating speed needs to be in the 2nd spot?

And Blalock won't strike out as often this year...he has really improved a lot about his game according to his coaches. And this early in the season, I'll take their word for it rather than looking at a relatively small sample of stats. He has a power swing, no doubt about that, but he still makes pretty good contact. Especially in comparison to Soriano.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 01, 2005 2:30 pm

They're almost using my lineup today. They have Blalock/Teix swapped and they have Matthews playing instead of Hidalgo...but besides that they are using the exact lineup I would. And they scored 2 runs in the first inning. ;-)

Great job, Buck! ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Shiner » Sun May 01, 2005 2:57 pm

totally agree Slomo. I like the idea of moving D.Dellucci to the leadoff spot. Heck I like the idea of anybody moving there other than Soriano. I would'nt be opposed to even dropping him to the 6 spot and moving Mench up to the 5 hole. Your right on about Young being the perfect 2 hitter as well.
Shiner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warrick95 » Sun May 01, 2005 4:39 pm

Speaking of LASIK surgery, why no fuss about that like steroids?

Anyway, personally, I wouldn't even want Soriano on my team. For fantasy, I love him, but he's much more inimical to a real team than people can even imagine. He puts up good "scoreboard stats" but if you take a look at his statistics with a magnifying glass, the flaws are more noticable than Tara Reid's boobs. He Ks a lot, doesn't get contact, doesn't get on-base, etc.

There are two schools of thought.
1. Bat him high in the lineup so that he doesn't mess up with men on base...make him bat without men on base.
2. Bat him low in the lineup because you want men on base high in the lineup.
Clearly, the pro to either is the con to another. Simply, having a player like this on your team isn't good.

But anyway, I myself, if forced to use him, would prefer having him in the 2 spot. I'd rather have the top of the lineup not really excel at getting on base, than having him flail away with RISP.

My ideal Rangers' lineup:
Young
Soriano
Blalock...IMO, he'll end up being their best hitter
Teixeira
Dellucci...in my school of thought, the 5 hitter needs to be a good RBI producer. He doesn't need to hit for big power...but needs to get the hit when needed.
Mench
Hidalgo
Barajas
Nix

Until Dellucci cools down, I think he deserves batting high. If Hidalgo's hot, he's not a bad 5 hitter at all.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Guru » Sun May 01, 2005 5:38 pm

The main problem is Soriano doesn't fit perfectly into any spot in a lineup. He had the same problem as a yankee.

Young
Delucci
Texierra
Soriano
Blaylock
Mench
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby agchris02 » Wed May 11, 2005 6:20 am

slomo007 wrote:Michael Young isn't exactly slow, ya know. He is actually the ideal 2nd spot hitter IMO. He does it all, he's truly a tremendous player.

Blalock is having a slow year, but I agree that young should be plugged into the 2nd spot -- he doesnt have the power of tex or blalock to clear the bases, but he's a very consistant hitter with a high enough OBP to matter.

To those who misunderstand baseball, your leadoff hitter should virtually ALWAYS be the guy with the highest OBP on the team, that scores runs and is a winning formula, and as well as dellucci is doing, he deserves to be there. Tex and Blalock are better hitters than soriano -- despite his week long surge, and i think they deserve to be in front of him, so that leaves him at 5th, granted he probably should be batting 2nd or 3rd on most teams, but not in TX

Dellucci
Young
Blalock
Texeria
Soriano
Mench
Nix
Mathews JR
Barraas
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager