Come on Texas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Come on Texas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Come on Texas

Postby nuggets » Sun May 01, 2005 12:49 am

They still haven't figured out what order to bat all those hitter in. Dellucci leading off? Soriano 5th?!? Come on figure it out, all those guys should be producing more runs.

I'm no lineup genius but keep Young and Soriano high in the lineup and Blalock and Teixeira in the middle.

EDIT- and when I say still- IT'S BEEN TWO YEARS (basically).
Last edited by nuggets on Sun May 01, 2005 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 01, 2005 1:02 am

Buck is just experimenting right now. Dellucci has an OBP close to .500 thanks to 19 walks in 18 games (before today). That's the reason for him leading off.

Soriano is not a very good leadoff hitter....us fantasy owners like him there because he steals more bases there, but in real life he's suited for middle of the lineup, maybe cleanup or 5th, somewhere his Ks won't hurt so much.

My ideal lineup would be:
Dellucci (at least until he cools off)
Young
Blalock
Teixeira
Soriano
Nix
Mench
Hidalgo
Barajas

This would mean the entire lineup up until the 8/9th spots would be alternating left/right batters.....that's sweet. Too bad Buck doesn't seem to agree.

I also think, however, that Blalock seems to be hitting better towards the middle of the lineup than he does in the 2nd spot. When he was hitting in the second spot he seemed to want to Walk to much, and wasn't taking enough rips at the ball.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby nuggets » Sun May 01, 2005 1:37 am

slomo007 wrote:Buck is just experimenting right now. Dellucci has an OBP close to .500 thanks to 19 walks in 18 games (before today). That's the reason for him leading off.

Soriano is not a very good leadoff hitter....us fantasy owners like him there because he steals more bases there, but in real life he's suited for middle of the lineup, maybe cleanup or 5th, somewhere his Ks won't hurt so much.

My ideal lineup would be:
Dellucci (at least until he cools off)
Young
Blalock
Teixeira
Soriano
Nix
Mench
Hidalgo
Barajas

This would mean the entire lineup up until the 8/9th spots would be alternating left/right batters.....that's sweet. Too bad Buck doesn't seem to agree.

I also think, however, that Blalock seems to be hitting better towards the middle of the lineup than he does in the 2nd spot. When he was hitting in the second spot he seemed to want to Walk to much, and wasn't taking enough rips at the ball.

I like the idea of rotating L and R hitters but IMO that doesn't matter vs. experienced pitchers. And Teixeira is switch so that kinds messes things up ;-)

I hate the idea of Soriano in the fifth spot and think that would define his career as a failure. IMO Soriano is the perfect #2 hitter.

Blalock still has troubles with breaking pitches and needs someone on base or the best hitter batting behind him to limit them. So my "ideal" Texas lineup would be this:

Young
Soriano
Blalock
Teixeira
Mench
Hidalgo (when hot- Nix when not)
Dellucci
Barajas (Hidalgo)
Nix

Many of you might not agree, but the 8th spot should be reserved for the worst hitter. Just one of those things that Peter Gammonds and watching baseball has lead me to believe.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun May 01, 2005 1:40 am

slomo007 wrote:Soriano is not a very good leadoff hitter....

;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby nuggets » Sun May 01, 2005 1:44 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Soriano is not a very good leadoff hitter....

;-D

what do you think would happen if he backed off the plate and took some pitches? Short term walks and long term failure? Or maybe get him a good hitting coach, even Ricky, and set him straight.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Sun May 01, 2005 1:46 am

If they get the first 4 right, they will be ok.

Young, Soirano, Blaylock, Tex, Dellucci would suit me fine

As a Rangers fan I thought the original Soriano, Blaylock, Young, Tex was very odd. Seemed out of order.

Soriano hitting 5th is just dumb. I understand the thinking that Deloooch is getting on base a ton so try him at lead off, but that will even out. CMON BUCK!

I would trade any 2 of those 4 studs for 2 stud pitchers. The Rangers will never buy into the concept that pitching wins championships though. The higher ups know that balls flying out of the park is what gets butts in the seats.

Off soap box.
Go Rangers
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Sun May 01, 2005 1:56 am

Why would anyone want Soriano in the first or 2nd spot? He Ks so freaking much it's ridiculous. I think he really hurts the team batting there....and I think you're looking at this too much from a fantasy perspective to realize it. Think about it, Blalock and Young are the best pure contact hitters the Rangers have, with Teixeira a very close 3rd. Dellucci will be a lot better this year following his LASIK surgery, thus the increased walks. I think Dellucci is OK as leadoff, at least until he proves otherwise. Young is the ideal #2...great contact, good speed, few Ks, good OBP.

I don't see any argument whatsoever for batting Soriano first or second. Third is a stretch as well, but at least it would be better than 1st or second. Soriano 4th with Teix or Blalock behind him wouldn't be a bad option either, simply because he would see some great pitches to hit because pitchers wouldn't want to walk him. Still though, I'll stick with my 5th spot theory.

Also, regarding the left/right thing...you're right that it won't really affect how the starter pitches, but it could really cause havok towards the end of the game when the situational relievers are brought in. Having a left/right split all of the way down the roster would be almost unheard of...and it would at least be interesting to see how it works.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby mcmahojl » Sun May 01, 2005 2:00 am

They seem to be hitting all the time, except for the early Mr. Blalock, so why mess with the lineup?
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Sun May 01, 2005 2:03 am

slomo007 wrote:Why would anyone want Soriano in the first or 2nd spot?

My ideal lineup has a #2 hitter with power and speed.

slomo007 wrote: Think about it, Blalock and Young are the best pure contact hitters the Rangers have

:-t Blalock still needs training wheels ( man on base or great hitter behind him)

slomo007 wrote:I don't see any argument whatsoever for batting Soriano first or second.

Oh come on, calm down.

slomo007 wrote: Having a left/right split all of the way down the roster would be almost unheard of...and it would at least be interesting to see how it works.

Baseball has been played for a pretty long time. There probably is a reason no one has sold out to get that element in a line up, long term.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Sun May 01, 2005 2:11 am

Yeah you make good points. I guess I like him in the 2 because I feel like that is where some speed needs to be.

I am a strong believer in getting your best 4 hitters to actually be batting 1 2 3 4. Letting one slip to 5th really agitates me for whatever reason.

Then again...the Rangers management has agitated me since the days I would turn on the radio in the backyard and listen to games as my heroes like Julio Franco (when he played 2nd base and dominated) were mashing at the old Arlington stadium, at the same time firing my tennis ball at the side of the house, working on my grounders.
Ahhhhhhh memories
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers