Points league veterans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Points league veterans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Points league veterans

Postby Dodger Blue » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:43 pm

I'm joining a point league with the following points spread for pitching stats.

W (30), L (-15), SV (30), H (-5), ER (-10), BB (-3), HBP (-3), K (3)

Is there any reason to get any pitchers except top tier ones. You have get a win (30) but give up 2 ER (-20) and 3 hits (-15) and still lose points. I see value for closers but starters? Any suggestions?
Dodger Blue
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:49 pm

Truthfully with that scoring system most SP pitchers are probably negatives, even the studs. Closers should score more with SV being worth as much as W, plus they don't give up as many hits or BB or ER because they pitch less innings.

I'm no expert in PTS leagues though, I've only been in 2 of them.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:Truthfully with that scoring system most SP pitchers are probably negatives, even the studs. Closers should score more with SV being worth as much as W, plus they don't give up as many hits or BB or ER because they pitch less innings.

I'm no expert in PTS leagues though, I've only been in 2 of them.

ya, grab some closers with that scoring system.
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rs2k2 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:59 pm

i'd abandon starters completely, if you have any stud pitchers, trade them for starters...

think about it, starters at most have a chance to win 2 games a week and they average about 2-4 ER per start

closers have the chance to save ~5 games a week and average about an ER every 6-9 appearances
rs2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby great gretzky » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:41 pm

I was ina league like that once. I think the way to go is to keep a stud or two -- nad I mean pedro etc, trade off the rest to get the best hitters you can, and fill out with middle relievers.

But I would have to say that since there is no penalty for a blown save, trade your studs for the top closers, and make sure hitting is money. More often than not they will get a win, save or blown save, and if you have the studs, not likely to take a loss.

These leagues are failry easy to stack actually, as long (as you have) realize the vagaries of the scoring.

What I would do (soon) is get out your calculator, and figure out what the top 20 hitters, starters and closers earned last year. The differential (even if rudimentary) should make itself apparent. once you figure out what the most valuable position is, maximize that, then fill out the seocnd most prodcutive thing.

I would bet a lineup of stud hitters, then a bunch of stud clsoers and middel relievers should do the trick.

Bear in mind, once you figure it out -- go balls to the wall to fill out your team with trades, because once you start going that route, others may figure it out too. you gotta be the first.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby agchris02 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:16 pm

That's an insane scoring system, I cant believe thats actually exists

That said, starters are next to worthless, I wouldnt even want one, Id want the top closers and top MR guys, and other than that all bats, if you havent drafted yet draft closers HIGHER than you would (I can see lidge, krod, rivera, etc. all gone by round 4), and Id want two of them, I think Id take a bat 1st then the three best closer available, then all bats the rest of the time, depending on your SL anyways.

If you have starters, trade them
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Spartans Rule » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:29 pm

I ran some numbers on this and the dynamic is worse than I could have ever imagined - check these FP totals from last year:

Top closers:
Mariano Rivera 1328
Eric Gagne 1326
Armando Benitez 1283

Mediocre closers:
Jose Mesa 831
Danny Graves 566

Top starters:
Johan Santana -297
Randy Johnson -587
Pedro Martinez -1062

Bad starters:
Jason Jennings -2189
Ryan Franklin -2201

I don't think I really have to explain what to do with this information.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Chuckles » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:35 pm

Spartans Rule wrote:I ran some numbers on this and the dynamic is worse than I could have ever imagined - check these FP totals from last year:

Top closers:
Mariano Rivera 1328
Eric Gagne 1326
Armando Benitez 1283

Mediocre closers:
Jose Mesa 831
Danny Graves 566

Top starters:
Johan Santana -297
Randy Johnson -587
Pedro Martinez -1062

Bad starters:
Jason Jennings -2189
Ryan Franklin -2201

I don't think I really have to explain what to do with this information.

Holy crap that's funny!!!!! 'Nuff said...what a screwed up scoring system!!! I'd draft closers only, and look for Turnbow, Batista and Hermanson...that is, relievers with SP status to fill in if there are SP positions. Crazy!!! :-o
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby great gretzky » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:36 pm

yea, jsut exploit it, take the money then join a more fun league next season.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:39 pm

I am in a very similar league and I must say it sucks. Must starters are totally worthless because they will be so inconsistent. (Scoring in my league is W=10, L=-5, BB=-1, k=1, H=-.5, IP=.5) I have RJ, Schill, Penny, Escobar, Wood, and Millwood and we are required to start 5 SP each week (plus 2 RP - 12 teams). Needless to say, after this week I will be 0-4.

I haven't figured out exactly how to deal with this yet. I have considered only starting RJ or guys with incredibly good matchups and then rotating out the others who may be starting so as to keep a valid roster, yet not have more than 1 or 2 guys pitch a week. I have also considered trading away all my starters and picking up RP with SP eligibility and plugging them into the vacant slots. I think both ideas could work in your league.

If you are not required to start SP, I would trade them all away and only go with RP and good MR.

Anyway, anxious to hear what people say to see if it helps me.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers