Kaz Matsui: Japanese A-Rod? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz Matsui: Japanese A-Rod?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 11:57 am

Amazinz wrote:At this point last year Kaz had 1 SB, this year he has 2 SBs. Not sure what you're expecting from Kaz but he is "on pace". :-D

I think the main reason for the lack of steal attempts for the Mets has been situational.

Haha, I'll leave the Met joking aside for now. But you left yourself open with the "situational" reference. Hopefully the Mets pick up their SB attempts, Beltran is losing his touch due to lack of practice (2 pickoffs already?).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tokugawa » Mon May 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I was living in Japan for a number of years during Kaz's heyday at the Seibu Lions, and he was great. I really don't understand why he hasn't done more in the majors, fielding particularly. Ok he plays more on grass now than turf but that really doesn't explain it all. One of the supposed differences between Kaz and either Ichiro or Hideki is that Kaz has always had a lot more natural talent. Both Hideki and Ichiro work incredibly hard at their game and maybe Kaz is finding out that whereas his natural ability carried him through Japanese baseball, there is more to succeeding in the majors than natural talent alone. I still think Kaz has more to offer, last season he was adjusting to the game in the US and played with an injured wrist. I don't expect him to ever be top-tier 2b but he is much better than he has shown so far. (Having said that I did just drop him!)
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Mon May 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Tokugawa wrote:I was living in Japan for a number of years during Kaz's heyday at the Seibu Lions, and he was great. I really don't understand why he hasn't done more in the majors, fielding particularly. Ok he plays more on grass now than turf but that really doesn't explain it all. One of the supposed differences between Kaz and either Ichiro or Hideki is that Kaz has always had a lot more natural talent. Both Hideki and Ichiro work incredibly hard at their game and maybe Kaz is finding out that whereas his natural ability carried him through Japanese baseball, there is more to succeeding in the majors than natural talent alone. I still think Kaz has more to offer, last season he was adjusting to the game in the US and played with an injured wrist. I don't expect him to ever be top-tier 2b but he is much better than he has shown so far. (Having said that I did just drop him!)

Thanks for the info, another reason the Cafe is great. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby rippz » Mon May 02, 2005 1:23 pm

Kaz was hyped do to his SB ability but he has not been able to show us that side of his game..... I think people should start venting do to the Mets not allowing their players to get the green light rather than attack Kaz...

Kaz is starting to get on base and hopefully RUNs - RBIs-SBs will follow.....

I believe that Reyes will start to get on base more as the weather warms (he has shown to start off cold) and Beltran will start to show more power as well.... Kaz will start to provide, we just have to be patient.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Mon May 02, 2005 3:55 pm

I've been ripping on this guy since the day the Mets signed him and thankfully he has been a royal bust who the Mets would love to trade but noone will take his contract. He makes $7M per!! Idiots! Thankfully I've never drafted him, added him, accepted a trade involving him, or ever thought of him as an above average MLB ballplayer. PLAY CAIRO! WE WISH WE HAD HIM BACK! DIE CASHMAN!
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Mon May 02, 2005 4:02 pm

I think this is a great article on players transitioning from Japan to USA ball. I used it to decide on Iguchi. Worth a read.

Coming to America:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... o-america/
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bobby » Mon May 02, 2005 6:30 pm

Meh... I have him but he's not exactly hurting my team. I got him as part of a trade back on the 22nd. Since then he's gone 10 for 29(.345) with 5 runs scored. No steals or RBIs though.
bobby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 02, 2005 6:58 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:...Mets would love to trade but noone will take his contract...

I think the no-trade clause has a lot more to do with it than the contract.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tokugawa » Mon May 02, 2005 7:19 pm

d18 that's an interesting article. My biggest surprise about Kaz isn't so much his drop in offence in the US as compared to Japan but rather his increase in errors and inability to play in the field.

Kaz was a multiple gold glove winner in Japan, one of the most exciting and reliable fielders in Japanese baseball and I felt that even if he struggled at the plate he would make up for it with his play at SS.

I truly don't understand what has happened to him in the field. You don't just go from being the Derek Jeter of Japanese baseball to some guy who can't field a ground ball for the Mets. It's very strange!!!
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Brade » Mon May 02, 2005 11:44 pm

so I wonder if I should drop him for iguchi-san? it's really weird how bad he's playing, but there are minimal options on FA. why oh why did I pass on brian roberts in the draft?...
Brade
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers