fbb ethics, or, what to do about a lopsided trade... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

fbb ethics, or, what to do about a lopsided trade...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hardboiled » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:33 pm

touch the brakes, buddy, i didn't post this thread to brag about a trade.

i have a general philosophy when it come to fantasy sports and just about any other context that allows bargaining: i don't accept a first offer and i don't make my best offer first. pretty standard negotiating tactics.

so i posted this thread because i was surprised that the offer was accepted, and i wasn't sure if the context of the offer and acceptance suggested that i should take the unusual step of offering to rescind a trade that is favorable to me and has already been accepted. and the fact that it's a league among friends is really the only reason that i am the least bit concerned. that said, i want to win as much as the next guy. while this might be the most lop-sided trade to be accepted, i've had worse trades proposed to me, so i certainly didn't blink at offering it.

as i said, he made the initial offer to me. it was g anderson and l walker for lyon.
hardboiled
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:41 pm

No, I'll let my words stand, thank you.

Being competitive and ripping neophytes off is not really worth pissing friends off in my book, but it it is in yours, great. I tend to value my friends more than I do a fantasy baseball league, but whatever floats your boat.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun May 01, 2005 12:14 am

Guys, calm down.

Anyway, let it go. This is fantasy baseball. Assuming your adults, that's the game. I try to rip off my friends, if I can, too. In my AL-only league, I traded Huff and Bonderman for Randy and Durazo.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rainman23 » Sun May 01, 2005 1:02 am

Cut the guy some slack. I hate lop-sided trades like poison, but making offers that are a little worse than what you might accept are part of the game. Most people like to negotiate, to feel like they got you to come up with a little more than you wanted. So if you lead off with your best offer, often you won't ever complete the deal, or you'll have to give more than you want. It's just common sense to start low.

This guy started off with an offer that was accepted, and wondered whether he should rescind it, or offer the other manager a little more. He doesn't deserve ethics lectures from anybody.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun May 01, 2005 1:54 am

Taking advantage of stupid fantasy GM's is part of the game, just as it is in the real baseball world.

If you were able to identify the fact this guy was clueless and subsequently beat his brains in on a deal, so be it. Just as there are complaints and consensus head shaking in real baseball when someone makes a stupid trade...and there are plenty of those, to be sure...there are sure to be beefs registered throughout your league as well. Bottom line is that had other owners identified this guy as a fantasy dolt, which they should have done simply based on his draft, they could have taken advantage as well. They didn't, you did, and that's show biz.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nuggets » Sun May 01, 2005 2:01 am

This early in the year? You might have some negative repercussions later on but you accpeted the deal an there is no going back, even if you trade him back.

I wouldn't have accepted the trade in a competitve and active league unless is was closer to the AS break. It's a done deal now so just look to mend ties with the other mangers, justify the deal and maybe do a "token" trade with the same guy to make yourself look good. And that's where you really could get ahead of your competition. Do a deal they think is bad but you know is good for yourself ;-)

Bottom line is don't look back on that trade but try and make things better with you competition so that they won't give you problems with every deal for here on out, mabye even use that to you advantage }:-)
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Sun May 01, 2005 8:42 am

Screwing your friends is not part of the game.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bricklayer » Sun May 01, 2005 11:34 am

But he wasn't trying to screw anyone. He was simply trying to negotiate a trade and was caught off guard when the guy accepted his offer. Hardboiled did nothing wrong...
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Sun May 01, 2005 11:38 am

When you offer a lopsided trade, you are trying to screw someone. The assertation that it is negotiating is absurd. Most owners won't take your next offer seriously if you send them something like that to start with. He took advantage of someone he knew did not know the game that well, all supposedly because of playing to win. You can play to win and still not screw other people, especially when they are friends. It's not really worth it.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blackbearabroad » Sun May 01, 2005 12:18 pm

my question is, should i do anything about the situation? i feel kinda bad, i mean, obviously the guy has never heard of "buy low, sell high". same owner also made some questionable draft picks (G Anderson 2nd round) so i'm guessin he's a newbie at fantasy sports (though he has made savvy moves too, grabbing turnbow, hermanson, etc off the WW). there have been other trades that have been less than perfectly even, but nothing so one-sided as this. should i be a "good sport" and offer to give Matsui back, or offer another player to even out the deal, even though it has already been processed? or just let him learn his lesson?

chill out, hardboiled came here (im assuming) with the best intentions asking for advice on a situation that he didn't expect. He knew the newbi needed a closer and wanted lyon. The newbi offered a trade that was too low on his end, hardboiled countered with a trade that could be considered too high. the useal next step in negoiating lands some where in the middle. So he got the best of a trade with his firend, if thats actually going to harm a friendship there are other things going on. Hardboiled don't worry about it, its just a game and in the end, no one is going to care, theyll just be a little more carful in the future
He began letting Koby Clemens drive the orange Hummer to school after he signed a letter of intent last November to play baseball for the University of Texas, whose colors are burnt orange and white. Before that, Koby drove a black Hummer to school
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers