Justin Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Justin Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby checkers » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:16 am

Associated Press reports Detroit Tigers P Justin Verlander is scheduled to start the second game of the team's doubleheader against the Cleveland Indians Monday, July 4. He is expected to be sent back to the minors after the start.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:10 pm

i cant wait to see how he does in his start.... heres hoping for 7 shutout innings of 3 hit ball ;-D ;-D i would love to see the tigers have to keep him around the rest of the year due to a great outing......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EK711 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:04 pm

Well I got to watch Verlander pitch the game against Cleveland yesterday and I was impressed despite the boxscore. Control was definetly an issue in the first and at other points int he game. He coulnd't throw any of his offspeed pitches for strikes to start the game and the Indians just teed off on his fastball. But, once he started to get his curveball to break and mix his changeup in he settled in quite nicely. If the kid can consistently throw his breaking stuff he'll be real good IMO. ;-D

If I remember correctly, the gun last night had him clocked as high as 99 and as low as 76. That's a pretty nice differential there.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby checkers » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:46 pm

USAToday.com reports the Detroit Tigers optioned SP Justin Verlander to Double-A Erie.
checkers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Webster11 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:13 pm

Why was Verlander never added to yahoo? I wanted to pick him up in my keeper league
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:57 am

Verlander is starting again against Minnesota in the day-night doubleheader. Is he up for good now?
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:54 am

Morrison8312 wrote:Verlander is starting again against Minnesota in the day-night doubleheader. Is he up for good now?
No. He'll go back to AA after the game. The Tigers still have their 5 man rotation set for now, with Verlander just covering in the doubleheader to keep our rotation on normal rest. Depending on how the trade deadline works out, things could change, but I'm hoping he gets more work in AA. He needs to work on his secondary pitches a little bit more.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theclefe » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:46 am

His start against Min.

6ip 8h 5er 2bb 3k

Can we calm down about this guy now? another sub-par performance, with only a few k's. I didn't regard him as a top prospect going into the season, and I continue to have reservations. I understand he is dominating AA ball with his stuff, but his control is still unrealible.

I say pass on this guy . There are better prospects out there who will contribute sooner and at a high level.

:-t
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby carter » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:23 am

correctomundo ... its funny, Verlander fans had a true stud pitching prospect right under their noses tonight, but most we're probly too busy staring at V's fat 7.00 era ...

how about his opponent? Scott Baker pitched a real nice game, but does anyone notice? um.. who the hell is scott baker?!

DUH !

its time to cut out the lard..
carter
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 15)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:58 pm

Before you all lose your faith in Verlander, remember he is still just 22 and has barely pitched at AA. Just because he doesn't come in and mow down major league hitters immediately doesn't mean he is overrated in any way. Give him a little bit of time in the minors and he will be just fine. This is his first season of pro baseball after not signing soon enough last year to play in the rookie leagues. Do we expect him to pretty much go straight from college to MLB? Probably not.

Personally, I would have rather seen Kenny Baugh get one of these spot starts instead of Verlander, so Justin could get more work at his current level. So far since joining AA, Verlander has had a very, very light workload. He has had starts shortened due to weather and to keep him fresh for his MLB spot starts and his futures game appearance, which is why he's only had 21 2/3 IP in 5 GS.

Now if anyone has questions about Scott Baker, just ask carter. He seems to have the Baker love-fest going on.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball