Delluci or Mench? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delluci or Mench?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Tue May 03, 2005 4:31 am

Tough call.

Dellucci has substantial value presently, as he's on base all the time (leads al of MLB in BB's), he has some power and speed as well. His career numbers suggest the BA has to take a hit at some point, and he has been prone to some very nasty slumps in the past.

Mench clearly possesses more power and will drive in more runs. BA may well be in the same neighborhood as Dellucci.

I think this comes down to individual team needs. If you need runs and SB's , Dellucci is the better option. Power and production, it's Mench.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby with_pleasure » Tue May 03, 2005 4:55 am

I think Mench is flukey and will have a career like Steve Balboni. Dellucci's season is fascinating, thusfar. I would take a chance on him. He went 1-1 the other day with 4 walks against Boston. I say go with him, especially if you're in an OBP or OPS league.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Tue May 03, 2005 8:41 am

Comparing Mench to Balboni is ridiculous. Balboni literally had a hard time hitting .200. Mench is not going to be Vlad, but he hit .279/26 in limited playing last year and has the potential to develop into a consistent .285/35 guy playing in a hitter's park and a strong line-up.

I'd like to hear the rationale as to why he should be compared to a .229 career hitter.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:11 am

Delucci is not getting much respect I see. I agree he can't keep this up all season, but he won't revert to hitting .250 IMO either. LASIK works wonders when it comes to seeing balls/strikes.

Mench probably has the higher ceiling, but he just isn't one of Buck's favorites, and once Hidalgo heats up (if he does) then there is no telling if he'll even get PT over Matthews to be honest.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby with_pleasure » Tue May 03, 2005 9:48 am

stumpak wrote:I'd like to hear the rationale as to why he should be compared to a .229 career hitter.

Did I say Balboni? Maybe I meant Kevin McReynolds. Which I guess is not that insulting.

I was being a little rash, but I'm not completely sold on the guy. He's a career .268/.316/.797 away from Arlington, which means he's kind of an out machine, and Buck should definitely play Dellucci over him. Dellucci's never had great numbers, but he hasn't played a full season since he was a 25-year old rookie Snake. He's literally on pace for about 150 walks, too.

Still, he and Mench are the only legitimate outfielders Texas has right now. Richard Hidalgo might be gone forever and nobody realizes that Laynce Nix is awful.

Fwiw, I have Mench in both my AL-only leagues, so I'm with you brother.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:50 am

with_pleasure wrote:Still, he and Mench are the only legitimate outfielders Texas has right now. Richard Hidalgo might be gone forever and nobody realizes that Laynce Nix is awful.

Nix is awful? Can you give me your reason for thinking so? I actually like him a LOT more than Mench when it comes to who will eventually be the better player.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby with_pleasure » Tue May 03, 2005 10:07 am

Nix went crazy early on last year too. He hit 8 of his 14 homeruns in April and May, and hit about .220 afterwards. He's still learning, but his numbers don't indicate that he'll do much of anything in a park that's not Arlington. He doesn't walk much, he plays CF but he can't run, he strikes out a ridiculous amount, and he can't hit lefties at all, which makes him a platoon player.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 03, 2005 10:55 am

with_pleasure wrote:Nix went crazy early on last year too. He hit 8 of his 14 homeruns in April and May, and hit about .220 afterwards. He's still learning, but his numbers don't indicate that he'll do much of anything in a park that's not Arlington. He doesn't walk much, he plays CF but he can't run, he strikes out a ridiculous amount, and he can't hit lefties at all, which makes him a platoon player.

Mench has had about 400 more ABs than Nix has, therefore he is more experienced. I agree that Nix's strikeout numbers are slightly alarming, but I think it's too early to say he'll end up a platoon player.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stumpak » Tue May 03, 2005 12:29 pm

OK I will buy the Kevin McReynolds comparison more than the Balboni comparison. As long as you didn't really mean Carmelo Martinez!
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers