2005 Home Runs Per Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2005 Home Runs Per Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2005 Home Runs Per Game

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:53 pm

Last year, on ESPN.com, they were comparing the 2004 Home Runs per game, Slugging percentage and some other power related stats to stats collected in previous years. The flawed theory hypothesized that because of the steroid policy implemented last year, we would see a significant decline in power numbers. Because we now know that the steroid policy last year was nothing more than a smoke screen, there is now a steroid policy in affect that most believe has actually stopped players from juicing. Does anyone know of a resource that is keeping track of these numbers for the 2005 season?

It just seems to me like home runs are really down so far and I wanted to see some statistical evidence to back it up.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:00 pm

In the most recent ESPN Magazine they said it was down dramatically (from well over 2.25 to at or below 1.75). It's still early, and I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but you should be able to find something on ESPN.com.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby geaux » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:03 pm

my roommate and I have been calling it the year of the warning track flyout. We have the MLB Extra innings, and seen a ton of those already.
geaux
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:05 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:In the most recent ESPN Magazine they said it was down dramatically (from well over 2.25 to at or below 1.75). It's still early, and I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but you should be able to find something on ESPN.com.

You're right. Don't know how I missed it the first time.

Home Runs Per Game
2004 - 1.123
2005 - .953

That's a 15% drop off. I know the season is only four weeks old, but it's still pretty interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:11 pm

josebach wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:In the most recent ESPN Magazine they said it was down dramatically (from well over 2.25 to at or below 1.75). It's still early, and I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but you should be able to find something on ESPN.com.

Home Runs Per Game
2004 - 1.123
2005 - .953

That's a 15% drop off. I know the season is only four weeks old, but it's still pretty interesting.

Guess I was wrong about the #'s...sorry, I was reading it really early at work today.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:16 pm

would be interesting too look at when the season is over. right now there just isnt enough data to have much meaning. also, you need to check out previous years to put a 15% difference (or whatever it ends up being) into context. its not enough to say power stats decreased, they have to decrease more than the usual variation. over a whole season i would think 15% is a big difference though.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:19 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
josebach wrote:

Home Runs Per Game
2004 - 1.123
2005 - .953

Guess I was wrong about the #'s...sorry, I was reading it really early at work today.

No, you weren't wrong.

ESPN, has Home Runs Per Game per team.
So in actuality,
2004 - 2.246
2005 - 1.906

Like I said, we're less than 4 weeks into the season, but it's still worth keeping an eye on.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:22 pm

Were those 2004 stats over the entire 2004 season, or just over the first 4 weeks of 2004?

This makes a big difference because many of the games played so far have been in cold/bad weather which tends to prevent HRs.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:Were those 2004 stats over the entire 2004 season, or just over the first 4 weeks of 2004?

This makes a big difference because many of the games played so far have been in cold/bad weather which tends to prevent HRs.

The entire 2004 season. You might be right about the weather, but to give you an idea...

My team last year had 271 combined home runs. That's almost 11 per week. This year so far my home run totals are as follows:
Week 1: 7
Week 2: 9
Week 3: 5
Week 4: 4 (so far)

Maybe it's just hitting me harder than some of the other teams. :-t
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:15 pm

anyone have just april numbers? HR rates go up quite a bit over the summer, I'd imagine, perhaps even enough to overcome the average numbers quote above?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers