Speculation on Giants closer.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Speculation on Giants closer..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Speculation on Giants closer..

Postby bryan1327 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:16 pm

I keep seeing all the stuff about Julio going there, but, do you think the Giants would maybe make a play to go after Graves? Or would the Reds maybe talk him up to them with Wagner sitting there in the Reds pen waiting to close? Graves is in his last year of his contract.

I have not heard any thing about this, on any sight or newspaper, just my over active imagination running. But could it make sence?
"I am a shining example...of what you never wanna be" TESLA '04
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:19 pm

I haven't heard this anywhere....but I think there is little to NO chance of Graves being traded this early. The NL Central is weaker than ever and Cincy actually looks like the 2nd best team at the moment. Why would they punt the season now? I don't think he's traded this year at all, unless injuries strike and the Reds fall out.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:23 pm

I just don't think Graves would be that much of an improvement from what SF already has and the cost for Graves I think would be too great. I really think they'll sit on a closer in their bullpen (Herges or Brower) or what I think is the most probable would be to promote Aardsma or Valdez to close. I mean they have a big park, give the young flame throwers some room.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby BigMusky » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:30 pm

slomo007 wrote:I haven't heard this anywhere....but I think there is little to NO chance of Graves being traded this early. The NL Central is weaker than ever and Cincy actually looks like the 2nd best team at the moment. Why would they punt the season now? I don't think he's traded this year at all, unless injuries strike and the Reds fall out.

say what? Reds the second best team? How about 4th ;-D
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:32 pm

BigMusky wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I haven't heard this anywhere....but I think there is little to NO chance of Graves being traded this early. The NL Central is weaker than ever and Cincy actually looks like the 2nd best team at the moment. Why would they punt the season now? I don't think he's traded this year at all, unless injuries strike and the Reds fall out.

I'm sure Neifi Perez will continue hitting like Tejada.

Cards
Reds
Cubs
Astros
Brewers
Pirates

I don't see it any other way right now.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:33 pm

Slomo, there's actually a decent market for a "closer" right now. Other than SF, Texas may be interested, with Francisco out for the year with TJ...they need a setup man. They wanted Baez off of us, but we wanted John Danks in return. That would've been a sweet deal...

We'll see if teams like Cincy and Tampa can keep on turning down trades if decent offers come in. Cincy may be competing, but we sure as hell aren't. I'd gladly trade Baez for even Merkin Valdez.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:34 pm

slomo007 wrote:
BigMusky wrote:

Cards
Reds
Cubs
Astros
Brewers
Pirates

With the Cubs rotation, I don't think you can ever place them below the Reds. If they can stay healthy, they'l always be near the top of that division. Reds are good, but I just can't see them competing with the Cubs pitching.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:36 pm

Cards
Cubs
Reds
Astros
Brew
Pitt

Well, I think you need to see it another way. I'm an avid Reds fan, but even bad Cub pitching is better than most decent Reds pitching. I mean did you witness what Lee did to them?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:37 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
BigMusky wrote:

Cards
Reds
Cubs
Astros
Brewers
Pirates

With the Cubs rotation, I don't think you can ever place them below the Reds. If they can stay healthy, they'l always be near the top of that division. Reds are good, but I just can't see them competing with the Cubs pitching.

Dusty will find a way to screw them up. I'm not even worried about the Cubs...to be honest, I had a hard time placing them above the Astros.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:40 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Cards
Cubs
Reds
Astros
Brew
Pitt
That's how I see it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers