Julio on the Move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio on the Move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Julio on the Move?

Postby yankee_cafe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:40 pm

From KFFL

Apr 29 The Washington Post's Jorge Arangure Jr. reports there is growing sentiment in the Baltimore Orioles organization to go out and acquire a top-of-the-line starting pitcher. Team sources say the Orioles are willing to relinquish RP Jorge Julio and perhaps one of their young starters, either Erik Bedard or Daniel Cabrera.
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:46 pm

Julio has been rumoured to the Giants.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby pt1171 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:53 pm

Though I'm not thrilled about it, I'm trying to figure out who to drop for Julio in case he does become a closer somewhere. My 3rd and 4th closers ae Kolb and Turnbow. So with the long-term loss of Benitez and temporary loss of Izzy, suddenly I'm in less than great shape at that position.

Of course, if Julio is a closer at some point I hope he's better than he was last season.
pt1171
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:02 pm

pt1171 wrote:Though I'm not thrilled about it, I'm trying to figure out who to drop for Julio in case he does become a closer somewhere. My 3rd and 4th closers ae Kolb and Turnbow. So with the long-term loss of Benitez and temporary loss of Izzy, suddenly I'm in less than great shape at that position.

Of course, if Julio is a closer at some point I hope he's better than he was last season.

Snaggin Julio now is a very high percentage move IMO. Ryan has the closer job locked down. No one, especially Julio whom the O's are completely down on, will wrestle it away from him at this point.

Julio is a proven closer who had his share of problems in the last couple of years. But a lot of people forget that he was a high prospect with very good tools. He is still very young and may needed some time to learn how to pitch. He's been pitching incredibly well so far and if the O's were smart, they would move him sooner rather than later. I don't know where he will end up but I'm willing to bet that he gets traded and becomes the closer soon.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby intense » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:04 pm

worth it to drop Doug Davis for Julio? im in 12man h2h 5x5
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RawTalent » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:10 pm

Julio's been nearly unhittable this year, which actually makes me more inclined to think that he won't be traded--at least, not to the Giants, nor in the near future. Which starter on the Giants would Baltimore trade Julio for? Certainly the Giants aren't stupid enough to offer Schmidt. Who else, then? Perhaps Jerome Williams, but the Orioles already have decent young pitchers (Bedard and Cabrera), so another one, I take it, won't satisfy the organization's wants.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ascohen11180 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:13 pm

What about Foppert?

I don't think the Giants would be dumb enough to do it but they were dumb enough to "loan" Ponson from Baltimore before.
ascohen11180
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thehat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:26 pm

The story said "top of the line starting pitcher" so I would think that rules out the Giants. It also rules out just about everyone else.

Julio is a good reliever, but his type are a lot more plentiful than "top of the line starting pitchers" and I feel secure in stating that it will take more than Julio and Cabrera/Bedard to land one.

You never know what may happen in late July when soon to be FA's hit the market from teams out of contention, but as I see it, the Giants aren't a candidate to pry Julio from the Orioles.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby stumpak » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:36 pm

So now the Orioles finally figure out that they need a solid front line starter?

As for Julio, he is still crap as a closer in my opinion. With the exception of his rookie year he has not put up the sort of ratios that one would associate with even a middle of the road closer, much less an elite one. This goes back to his minor league career, where his numbers likewise did nothing to impress. The guys ceiling is as a journeyman closer, no team with serious aspirations of contending for a pennant would be happy with him as a closer unless they are forced to turn to a second-choice/fill-in type of guy (i.e., the Giants and Cubs right now). The Orioles, no chronic playoff contender in recent years, have a such a low opinion of him that they gave his job to a 100% unproven guy. This does not happend to "proven" closers.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:38 pm

thehat wrote:Julio is a good reliever, but his type are a lot more plentiful than "top of the line starting pitchers" and I feel secure in stating that it will take more than Julio and Cabrera/Bedard to land one.

You never know what may happen in late July when soon to be FA's hit the market from teams out of contention, but as I see it, the Giants aren't a candidate to pry Julio from the Orioles.

The thread was about Julio PLUS another young pitcher for a top of the line starter. Julio is a 26 year old with 83 career saves with 19 blown saves. That's pretty valuable considering he's only making 2.5M.

Also, his control was progressively getting worse since his rookie season. He's not walking nearly as much this season and you can bet that he will be immensely successful if he keeps this trend.

Tough to say what the Gints are going to do. Someone may step up and run with the job but based on what we know, no one on their roster currently has the ability to do this. Maybe one of their callups can do it but either way, they have to all but rule out Benitez for at least the regular season. I never believe what GM's say either. There are no guarantees in baseball since things change by the minute. If their pen totally sucks and they want to stay competetive, why wouldn't they trade for a closer?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers