ESPN getting in on the Dusty-fest - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ESPN getting in on the Dusty-fest

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN getting in on the Dusty-fest

Postby Cooner » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:40 pm

ESPN's Power Rankings wrote:14. Chicago Cubs: Had enough of Dusty Baker? For just $8.95 a year, you can create your own website: We suggest, firedusty.com.

You know it's bad when ESPN is getting in on it...
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:48 pm

Never been a fan of Dusty's and I think a lot of his moves are questionable at best but it isn't his fault this year. Cubs lost Alou and Sosa and replace them with Hairston and Burnitz. Clement leaves without a replacement coming in and nothing was done to address the bullpen from last year. Add to it that the Cubs players have been getting injured left and right. I don't think Dusty makes much of a difference.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:52 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Never been a fan of Dusty's and I think a lot of his moves are questionable at best but it isn't his fault this year. Cubs lost Alou and Sosa and replace them with Hairston and Burnitz. Clement leaves without a replacement coming in and nothing was done to address the bullpen from last year. Add to it that the Cubs players have been getting injured left and right. I don't think Dusty makes much of a difference.

Yeah. They also lost Nomar so the production in the middle of that lineup is completely gone.

One thing I will say though is he needs to let Dubois play regularly. I think he will produce and he can be a tremendous hitter for them.

Lastly, he does a terrible job of managing pitchers. Whether or not he is directly responsible for the injuries/wearing down is questionable but he needs to learn that pitch counts do matter and that he can't overwork these young guys who cost millions of dollars every time out.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dmville » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:26 pm

I think I looked a couple weeks ago and firedusty.com is already owned. Damn.

Yeah, Dusty didn't get much help in the offseason, but w the team he had last year, it was inexcusable for them to not make the playoffs. Just makes poor decisions overall IMO w lineups, PH choices and overdoing L/R matchups.

Scary part is, as a Cub fan, I can almost understand when he leaves a starter in too long since he hasn't had a decent bullpen since he's been here. Rather see the SP blow it on pitch 120 than see the "middle reliever just called up from AAA" of the week blow it on pitch 3.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:31 pm

Dmville wrote:Yeah, Dusty didn't get much help in the offseason, but w the team he had last year, it was inexcusable for them to not make the playoffs. Just makes poor decisions overall IMO w lineups, PH choices and overdoing L/R matchups.

No doubt in my mind last year was Dusty's fault. This year I think he was doomed from the start.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Return to Baseball Leftovers