Why is Mike Gonzalez not closing somewhere?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Mike Gonzalez not closing somewhere??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cooner » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:36 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
How about some research? Lefties are more likley to be alcoholics and schizophrenics--maybe that is why they aren't good closers. :-?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=498707&page=1

:-b

Any article that cites the study saying that lefties are more likely to die earlier is simply manipulating statistics. Of the many studies of death rates of lefties vs righties, the study they are referencing was the only one which showed a statistically significant higher death rate in lefties. This study, however, was done second hand (no pun intended)- they asked families of dead people what hand the dead person used to write with. Second hand studies are notoriously fickle, and the methodology is no longer considered valid in many anthropological communities. Many, many studies (and I'd be glad to start citing them if you'd like) have shown that this study is crap.

So yeah, if you feel like citing invalid studies, we are more likely to die earlier. And become alcoholics. Oh, and by the way- there are 2500 left-handed deaths a year associated with lefties using right-handed products. And we're more likely to be good-looking, intelligent, and conquor the world (see Napoleon, Charlemagne, and Alexander the Great). ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:03 pm

What a stupid topic, starts on a relevent question as to why Mike Gonzalez isn't closing (just give him time, he will) then it goes to a debate about left handed people versus right handed, Wow. BTW Left handed people are also 80% of all serial killers and letfys are more likely to be homosexuals and commit suicide. And where do you get this more intelligent and better looking? what a crock. How on earth could anyone prove something based on opinion? And I'll counter your would-be world conquers with the right handed Hitler, Atilla the Hun, William the Conqueror, Constantine, Ceaser Augustus (Julius Ceaser was left handed BTW), & Gangus Khan. What a stupid arument, oh and in case anybody was wondering you are by far more likely to conquer the world if you are short and epileptic. Thanks

So...back to what matters...how long until Mesa loses his job to Gonzalez????
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby brandnew » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:08 pm

Mesa probably won't lose it unless he hurts himself. Would Torres or Gonzalez have it?

What's with Gonzalez walking so many guys this year? His K/BB was ridiculous last year, through 7 this year he's walked a bunch. Just rust, or is he having control problems?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:12 pm

I gotta think Gonzalez will close of Mesa exits for whatever reason. Rust, it has got to be rust, he has looked much more sharp of late. His numbers are contingent upon his shaky pitching at the beginning of the season.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby Cooner » Sun May 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Havok1517 wrote:What a stupid topic, starts on a relevent question as to why Mike Gonzalez isn't closing (just give him time, he will) then it goes to a debate about left handed people versus right handed, Wow. BTW Left handed people are also 80% of all serial killers and letfys are more likely to be homosexuals and commit suicide. And where do you get this more intelligent and better looking? what a crock. How on earth could anyone prove something based on opinion? And I'll counter your would-be world conquers with the right handed Hitler, Atilla the Hun, William the Conqueror, Constantine, Ceaser Augustus (Julius Ceaser was left handed BTW), & Gangus Khan. What a stupid arument, oh and in case anybody was wondering you are by far more likely to conquer the world if you are short and epileptic. Thanks

So...back to what matters...how long until Mesa loses his job to Gonzalez????

I think you missed my point, which was that all this "lefties can't close" stuff is crap, and that most lefty/righty statistics are exactly based on opinion, poorly done studies, and individual cases as evidence. You clearly missed the sarcasm that (I thought) was extremely evident in my ridiculous statements such as more intelligent and better looking (and in your homosexual comments).

As for your question, if you really want to know when Mikey G gets the job, try the "Search" button (it's the one on the top with a magnifying glass)... you'll find the 30 other threads that all say the exact same thing- not for a while, cause Joe Table is just good enough to get the job done, Mike Gonzalez is better used as a setup man for a weak Pirate pitching staff, and they're not likely to trade him while his price-tag is so low.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers