When's Gagne returning? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When's Gagne returning?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When's Gagne returning?

Postby warrick95 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:44 am

Just wondering how much more value Yhency Brazoban will have. I was offered Hafner for him.

What worries me about Gagne is that it IS a sprained ligament in his elbow...which is worriesome for a pitcher. Plus, they've been so quiet about it, compared to others stars' injuries. Obviously, if Gagne is out even longer, Brazoban would have the value of a mid-level closer...

This was the last report:
Apr. 27, 2005 - 11:18 pm et

Eric Gagne didn't throw from the mound as expected today, instead making 30 throws off flat ground.
No reason was given for the switch. Gagne is now scheduled to throw 30 pitches on Friday (just fastballs), 30-35 pitches Saturday (changeups and fastballs), then test all of his pitches on Monday. If that goes well, he'll probably start facing hitters a week from today.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:47 am

I agree with you that Gagne's situation is awfully suspicious. Even when it happened they didn't take any chances and immediately put him on the DL and didn't say much more about it. He then didn't even attempt throwing for at least a few weeks - again, no reason given. Now, he starts throwing and apparently has a setback (or at least it appears so from the public eye), but rather than dispell it, they again simply don't say anything. Something weird seems to be going on, so I'm going to hold on to Brazoban for a while even after Gagne returns if I can.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:08 pm

Yeah, there definitely seems to be something going on "off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush."

Then again, they did say from the beginning that he'd have to be "completely asymptomatic" until they have him start throwing. He did start throwing just now. It could be that they're cautious, but if it wasn't such a big deal to begin with, why were they so cautious to begin? There wasn't any structural damage found in his elbow...he just complained that it was sore.

I don't know...I don't really need Brazoban, but I'm very high on him this year ratio-wise, whether he pitches the 8th or 9th.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:32 pm

warrick95 wrote:Yeah, there definitely seems to be something going on "off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush."

Then again, they did say from the beginning that he'd have to be "completely asymptomatic" until they have him start throwing. He did start throwing just now. It could be that they're cautious, but if it wasn't such a big deal to begin with, why were they so cautious to begin? There wasn't any structural damage found in his elbow...he just complained that it was sore.

I don't know...I don't really need Brazoban, but I'm very high on him this year ratio-wise, whether he pitches the 8th or 9th.

I have my doubts that Gagne will stay healthy for the rest of the season. I generally do not believe teams dismissing injuries as "nothing" or "not serious" after having Prior/Wood on my keeper team for the last 4 years (thank god no more).

It really could be nothing but the fact that he injured his knee and tried to pitch through it, subsequently injurying his elbow raises a red flag. I'm holding onto Brazoban even after Gagne returns. I've been offered Gagne for Berkman straight up but I'm passing b/c I really think that his injury is more serious than not.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:16 pm

I just traded Yhency for Brian Giles. If Gagne comes back then it's a steal for me. If he doesn't then it's pretty close.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chrispistol3 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:11 pm

Is this for real?

Eric Gagne, RP LA

News: Major League Baseball suspended Eric Gagne (elbow) for two games for violating a penalty by the league barring him from Dodgers games during his stint on the 15-day disabled list. He was originally disciplined for his ejection on April 6 when he heckled an umpire, which broke the rule that players on the DL may not take part in any activity during the game such as warming up a pitcher, bench jockeying, etc."

Analysis: Gagne is activated from the DL. He threw 40 pitches off of flat ground Wednesday and is scheduled to throw two more sessions this weekend. Yhency Brazoban gets two more games to gain save opportunities in.
chrispistol3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:22 pm

I would imagine we will see him in some non-closing situations before he takes over completely...no way he takes over monday.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby bselig » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:27 pm

That info doesn't mean that Brazoban has ONLY TWO MORE games left to gain save opportunities, it means he has TWO EXTRA GAMES to gain save opportunities BECAUSE OF the suspension gagne will receive
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMusky » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:33 pm

bselig wrote:That info doesn't mean that Brazoban has ONLY TWO MORE games left to gain save opportunities, it means he has TWO EXTRA GAMES to gain save opportunities BECAUSE OF the suspension gagne will receive

that makes more sense...
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby chief knockohoma » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:31 pm

This was a very poorly written blurb from CBS Sporstline. Gagne has not been activated as it clearly states.

Here's the AP version:

'Gagne's suspension will begin after he is activated from the disabled list. The right-hander, who has yet to pitch this season because of a sprained right elbow, threw 40 pitches off flat ground Wednesday and is scheduled to throw two bullpen sessions this weekend'
'but this goes up to 11.'
chief knockohoma
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers