Mark Redman (Could be a solid, unspectacular pitcher) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Redman (Could be a solid, unspectacular pitcher)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Redman (Could be a solid, unspectacular pitcher)

Postby Dusk2k2 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:13 am

I think Redman could be a Jaret Wright, Jake Westbrook type this year. One of those pitchers that really doesn't do anything spectacular, but could help you greatly. What do you guys think?

I think something like 14 wins, mid 3 ERA, and a 1.20 whip with 150 strikeouts is a possibility.
Dusk2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:18 am

I know it's not a very big sample size, but his one year in the NL he put up great numbers. I think 14-15 wins from this PIT team is a little ambitious, and while a line something like that of '03 wouldn't surprise me, I wouldn't be counting on it. :-o Could be a great flier pick up, but that's about all for now IMO.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby davidmarver » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:18 am

A Pirates pitcher...14 wins? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The other numbers I guess I can see if he performs well, but 14 wins from a Pirates pitcher is laughable. Johnson only won 16 for the DBacks last year and he pitched real well.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Laean » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:44 am

i have redman and was thinking the same thing, until i checked his april stats.

the past 2 years his april ERA was in the 2.00s. he ended the seasons over 4.00 and 3.50 respectively.

3.50-4.00 ERA from your 5th starter isn't bad, but then i checked his splits the other years, and he's had a bunch of months where he'd have ERA in the 2.00s, but then have months where he'd get 5.00-6.00 ERA and end the season inevitably in the 4.00s.

the one year he had a sub 4.00 era was when he pitched in the NL, so i guess he could do it again. but i think even in a good year, 3.50-4.00 ERA seems like the most you can expect out of him.

and 14 Ws pitching for the pirates ....
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thehat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:10 am

I'll have to join in with those who feel your Redman projections are on the high side. I can't see more than 10-12 wins max on this team, and 150 K's is too high. But he's not a WHIP/ERA killer is healthy, so I'll agree there are worse options out there for deep leaguers in need of a spot starter.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers