Anyone have Hafner/Vic Martinez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone have Hafner/Vic Martinez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tokugawa » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:09 pm

Hafner is the bigger worry, V-Mart was pretty inconsistent last year and a cpuple good months really ballooned his stats, Hafner on the other hand was pretty solid throughout last season yet this year looks lost. He did have a decent spring but apart from that I am am pretty ready to unload the guy if I could get anything decent in return.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:29 pm

I just dealt Brazoban for Hafner. The steroid worries or whatever are a little worrying, but this guy could always rake. I expected less average and more power going into the year and am quite surprised at the results thus far.

I wouldn't be worried about V-Mart at all. He's always been a raker at the plate. Just a cold streak for sure.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EK711 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:38 pm

Last year the thing that helped the tribe out bigtime at the beginning of the year was a good veteran presence in the 1-2 hole in Lawton and Vizquel. As much as I dislike Lawton he did have a .366 OBP last year while Omar held down the 2 hole with a .353 OBP. While this year Coco has been kinda bland batting leadoff with a .320 OBP and the 2 spot has been a virtual rotating door with no one claiming the spot. Wedge needs to get some stability at the top of the lineup so the big boppers can see some better pitches. Put Aaron, "throw anything not on a straighline and I strikeout" Boone in for protection, and there is practically no help at all in the lineup for Victor and Pronk.

Not to say that the rest of the lineup is completely to blame, but last year the tribes strength was having a 1-9 lineup that hit with patience. This year Hafner is one of the few Indians who has been patient and looked relatively good at the plate. But what good does getting on base do when you have the likes of a struggling Victor, Aaron Boone, Casey Blake and (insert any other Indian name here) behind you? The tribe needs one or two guys to start consistently getting on base and the rest of the linuep should get going. (I hope)

Overall I wouldn't worry too much about T-Haf. He's remaining patient at the plate and not trying to force the issue. Right now he looks content taking a ball to left field or a walk to just get on base to try and get things going. Good for the team, but bad for those of us with him on our fantasy teams. Once the top of the order starts getting on a little more pitchers will have to give him some better stuff to hit.

Victor on the other hand IS worrying me a little. He's the one that looks a little lost. :-o
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Friends of Feather » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:25 pm

I am not to worried about either V-mart or Pronk. The whole Indians lineup 1-9 is struggling right now. They will find their stroke eventually. It looks to me V mart seems to be struggling a bit more than Hafner. Hafner is really getting good ABs right now, I really wouldnt be surprised at all to see him get hot against the KC pitching staff this weekend. V-Mart it's just a matter of time he is a consistant hitter and sometime in the next couple weeks I think he will put some hits together.
Friends of Feather
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Half Massed » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:09 pm

hafner came into his own last year and almost hit 30 with under 500 abs i think. i'm pretty sure he'll pick it up and i don't think v-mart was a fluke either. even though i have both on 2 teams :-P i wouldn't consider dropping either of them. maybe benching but i don't have a solid backup. if you drop either one they'll be snatched up and that owner will be happy when they heat up. don't worry about yet. my rule is give them until memorial day if there normally solid or good guys. now if their still scuffling come june, then worry
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DCNats » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:58 pm

They will both be fine.

In fact, I will would bet that they post numbers similar to last year. V-Mart is streaky and always hits poorly in the cold, and Hafner goes through power slumps (he is still hitting .282 as of this posting) Though frustrating, they are more tolerable than all-around slumps.

Now is a good time to buy low on both of them.
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 pm

I picked up Hafner of waivers 2 weeks ago, and just traded him for V-Mart. What u guys think?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Tue May 03, 2005 11:54 pm

RynMan wrote:I picked up Hafner of waivers 2 weeks ago, and just traded him for V-Mart. What u guys think?

Depends who you have at 1B, but I think VMART will be a great dissapointment. However, if you have good 1Bmen already, it is definately worth a shot to hold onto VMART in case he gets things going.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue May 03, 2005 11:57 pm

Phatferd wrote:
RynMan wrote:I picked up Hafner of waivers 2 weeks ago, and just traded him for V-Mart. What u guys think?

Depends who you have at 1B, but I think VMART will be a great dissapointment. However, if you have good 1Bmen already, it is definately worth a shot to hold onto VMART in case he gets things going.

I got Delgado, Morneau and Huff that can play 1st. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pablo975 » Wed May 04, 2005 12:21 am

I'm just lucky I have Inge as a backup....and he' been my full time C for the last week or so. VMart has GOT to heat up....I'm suffering thru Iguchi and Uribe.....I don't need one of my 4 keepers crapping out on me....

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers