Does anyone know the rules for getting a win? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does anyone know the rules for getting a win?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does anyone know the rules for getting a win?

Postby The Punisher » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:22 pm

Ok I know the general ways that pitchers get wins but I always wonder why some of these relievers that throw 0.1 innings get the win sometimes. Does anyone have like the official rules for getting a win or something?
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:25 pm

chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)

Re: Does anyone know the rules for getting a win?

Postby Pacman » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:28 pm

The Punisher wrote:Ok I know the general ways that pitchers get wins but I always wonder why some of these relievers that throw 0.1 innings get the win sometimes. Does anyone have like the official rules for getting a win or something?

If a team takes a lead, and never surrenders that lead (wins the game) the winning team's pitcher of record - WHEN that go-ahead run scored -- gets the win.

For example, if Scott Shields comes into the top of the eighth inning of a tied game with two outs, and gets one out.... then, in the bottom of the eighth, the Angels go ahead to stay, Shields gets the win, because he was the pitcher of record when the Angels went ahead.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Punisher » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:48 pm

Thanks guys, thats something Ive always wondered through my years of loving baseball
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Best tweak of the win rule.

Pitcher A comes into a tied game with two on/two out in the top of the 9th. He has an error on a pickoff attempt that allows the go ahead run to score and the second runner is put out attempting to advance. Pitcher A's team goes on to win the game in the bottom of the 9th. Pitcher A gets the win while allowing a go ahead run to score and never throwing a pitch.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:53 pm

Pacman wrote:
The Punisher wrote:Ok I know the general ways that pitchers get wins but I always wonder why some of these relievers that throw 0.1 innings get the win sometimes. Does anyone have like the official rules for getting a win or something?

If a team takes a lead, and never surrenders that lead (wins the game) the winning team's pitcher of record - WHEN that go-ahead run scored -- gets the win.

For example, if Scott Shields comes into the top of the eighth inning of a tied game with two outs, and gets one out.... then, in the bottom of the eighth, the Angels go ahead to stay, Shields gets the win, because he was the pitcher of record when the Angels went ahead.

That's actually the standard practice, but it's not how the winning pitcher HAS to be named according to the rules. In truth, if the winning pitcher is not one of the starters, the official scorer is supposed to pick the most effective relief pitcher as the winning pitcher.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:01 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:That's actually the standard practice, but it's not how the winning pitcher HAS to be named according to the rules. In truth, if the winning pitcher is not one of the starters, the official scorer is supposed to pick the most effective relief pitcher as the winning pitcher.

you might want to reread the rules. It is actually possible for a starter to go 4 innings and get the win. who knew. :)

from the link provided above:

WINNING AND LOSING PITCHER
(a) Credit the starting pitcher with a game won only if he has pitched at least five complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game. (b) The "must pitch five complete innings" rule in respect to the starting pitcher shall be in effect for all games of six or more innings. In a five inning game, credit the starting pitcher with a game won if he has pitched at least four complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game. (c) When the starting pitcher cannot be credited with the victory because of the provisions of 10.19 (a) or (b) and more than one relief pitcher is used, the victory shall be awarded on the following basis: (1) When, during the tenure of the starting pitcher, the winning team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game, credit the victory to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the most effective; (2) Whenever the score is tied the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning and losing pitcher is concerned; (3) Once the opposing team assumes the lead all pitchers who have pitched up to that point are excluded from being credited with the victory except that if the pitcher against whose pitching the opposing team gained the lead continues to pitch until his team regains the lead, which it holds to the finish of the game, that pitcher shall be the winning pitcher;
(4) The winning relief pitcher shall be the one who is the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game. EXCEPTION: Do not credit a victory to a relief pitcher who is ineffective in a brief appearance, when a succeeding relief pitcher pitches effectively in helping his team maintain the lead. In such cases, credit the succeeding relief pitcher with the victory. (d) When a pitcher is removed for a substitute batter or substitute runner, all runs scored by his team during the inning in which he is removed shall be credited to his benefit in determining the pitcher of record when his team assumes the lead. (e) Regardless of how many innings the first pitcher has pitched, he shall be charged with the loss of the game if he is replaced when his team is behind in the score, or falls behind because of runs charged to him after he is replaced, and his team thereafter fails either to tie the score or gain the lead. (f) No pitcher shall be credited with pitching a shutout unless he pitches the complete game, or unless he enters the game with none out before the opposing team has scored in the first inning, puts out the side without a run scoring and pitches all the rest of the game. When two or more pitchers combine to pitch a shutout a notation to that effect should be included in the league's official pitching records. (g) In some non championship games (such as the Major League All Star Game) it is provided in advance that each pitcher shall work a stated number of innings, usually two or three. In such games, it is customary to credit the victory to the pitcher of record, whether starter or reliever, when the winning team takes a lead which it maintains to the end of the game, unless such pitcher is knocked out after the winning team has a commanding lead, and the scorer believes a subsequent pitcher is entitled to credit for the victory.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:31 pm

matmat wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:That's actually the standard practice, but it's not how the winning pitcher HAS to be named according to the rules. In truth, if the winning pitcher is not one of the starters, the official scorer is supposed to pick the most effective relief pitcher as the winning pitcher.

you might want to reread the rules. It is actually possible for a starter to go 4 innings and get the win. who knew. :)

I'm confused. Nothing I said contradicts the rule or what you have written. I was pointing out that while official scorers tend to follow a sop that awards a win to the pitcher of record when the winning team assumed the lead, that's not required by the rule. The official scorer has the discretion to award the win to a pitcher who was more effective.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:24 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I'm confused. Nothing I said contradicts the rule or what you have written. I was pointing out that while official scorers tend to follow a sop that awards a win to the pitcher of record when the winning team assumed the lead, that's not required by the rule. The official scorer has the discretion to award the win to a pitcher who was more effective.

not quite.
if the pitcher of record was ineffective, then the scorer has some discretion. if the pitcher was okayish, then he gets the win.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers