Tampering - ugh, is this a legit complaint - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tampering - ugh, is this a legit complaint

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tampering - ugh, is this a legit complaint

Postby jayman » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:09 pm

Two teams in my league are complaing about tampering. Supposedly, they are trying to make trades with two other teams in the league and are constantly getting rejected and they feel this is because the owners of these teams consult with another owner.

Example:
So the Rangers offer the Angels a trade
The Angels call the Mariners and ask for advice
The Mariners tell the the Angels not to make the trade

The Rangers are pissed because had the Mariners not interfered in their business the trade might have gone through.

Now, I'm all for advising. I've requested advice in this and other forums a bunch of times. But, I don't know any of you personally, and as I far as I know, none of you are in any of my leagues.

These guys are in the same league, and while the Angels may trust the Mariners there's no way of telling that Mariners aren't looking out for themselves.

I've verified this is happening. I asked the two teams if they were getting help from other managers (pickups, drops). They are.

I don't know. I'm stumped. Not like I can do anything about this.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:14 pm

You can't enforce them not talking to each other. But you can disallow the Angels and Mariners from trading with each other. Right now, it's pretty much one player controlling both teams. If the Mariners team is truly giving biased fantasy advice to the Angels, hopefully the Angels will figure it out and stop listening.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:18 pm

I fail to see anything wrong with this. And I don't see a reason not to let those two teams make a trade if they wish. Unless the trade upsets the competitive balance of the league, there is no reason not to let it go through. That they are friends and talk to each other about trade offers is not that big a deal. I'm sure it happens pretty often.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:22 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong going on here. If they were making lopsided trades all the time, sure ... something needs to be done. But I have been and am in some leagues with friends, I will ask advice from time to time on more difficult trades to judge. Sometimes it's just good to have another unbias opinion, that knows the league your in as well as you do.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:45 pm

I'm quite the tamperer myself. Lotta guys in my keeper league know I'm a great evaluator of talent and ask me whenever they're making a trade or about waiver wire pickups. I never take advantage of that knowing that if I screw them over they'll be less likely to trade with me in the future. I just give my honest opinion and play fantasy baseball ethically. It's just a game.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:17 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever. If someone wants to ask another owner for advice they have every right to do so. If however, the owner giving the advice chooses to give bad advice because it would help him ohhh well thats the risk the advisee takes.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:22 pm

Yeah, if they both care enough about their teams to consult one another for trade advice, most likely they both care too much about their respective teams to make unfair trades amongst themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a minor annoyance.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:56 pm

"tampering" doesn't exist.

I talk to two owners a lot, and by a lot -- I mean A LOT. I am in two leagues with these two guys and they represent two different ways of looking at things.

I don't think consulting people is a bad thing. "Exclusive negotiating rights" is a pretty big deal in business.

if a team is thinking of a trade and consults someone else, that is fairly wise. they can either guide you, or increase what you would get.

Tampering sucks in a way, as I have been burned by a better offer coming form nowhere. but at the same time, a league that consults each other makes for a blast.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jayman » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I appriciate it! ;-D
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:50 pm

I like to tell both teams whatever advice I pass out and explain why I'd say 'this is/isn't a good deal for you...'
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers