Who is Gustavo Chacín? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is Gustavo Chacín?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is Gustavo Chacín?

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:06 pm

Has anyone actually seen him pitch? I have picked him up for a few teams and he has been pitching great in his first 5 starts. His only loss came at the hands of the Yankees, and he wasn't exactly shelled either. All I really know about him is he's under 6' and he's a lefty. What does he look like out there on the mound, and what impresses you about him?
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cooner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:13 pm

he looks like the white Morpheus out there on the mound. He's pitching well- using a lot of curves and offspeed junk. He's certainly not a strikeout pitcher, but he's not the type to walk a lot either. Seems like a Greinke-lite to me (once hitters figure out his stuff a bit).
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Who is Gustavo Chacín?

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:33 pm

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:Has anyone actually seen him pitch? I have picked him up for a few teams and he has been pitching great in his first 5 starts. His only loss came at the hands of the Yankees, and he wasn't exactly shelled either. All I really know about him is he's under 6' and he's a lefty. What does he look like out there on the mound, and what impresses you about him?

i went to that yankee game in which he took the loss...and i can tell you he didn't pitch that bad on that game...he was doing pretty well...better than mussina IMO...well....who isn't pitching better than the moose these days...anyway, the jays couldn't buy a hit with men on scoring position that night...and that was the main reason why they didn't win the game and chacin took the loss.

last year in his major leage debut he pitched really well against the same yankees at yankee stadium...i think his line was something like 7IP and only one run given up.

his delivery is a little unusual and that might be a reason hitters aren't being very successful against him. he's def not a strikeout guy, but he seems to get the work done...his numbers in the minors last year are pretty impressive. people were worried about picking him up cuz he was gonna get rocked by TEX in arlington and he wasn't...then he was gonna face the yankees and that wasn't gonna be a good matchup...he took the loss, but pitched fairly well...then last night he bounced back nicely against TB. ;-D

there are a bunch on threads on chacin from the last two weeks if you wanna read more. :-)
Last edited by kimchi_chigae on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Friends of Feather » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:33 pm

he does have that unique look out there on the mound with the shades. I say ride him while hes hot.
Friends of Feather
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Vetterstrom » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:02 pm

Yeah, I've gone to two of the games he's pitched so far, and I think that some of his success can be attributed to having good command of the strikezone. I think the biggest portion of it should be attributed to his unorthodox delivery. He leaves his hand behind his body till about the last possible second, and then as he brings his arm up, he has his glove positioned directly in front of it, making it even more difficult for hitters to get a good read on what hes throwing as it leaves his hand.
Vetterstrom
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:05 pm

Cooner wrote:he looks like the white Morpheus out there on the mound.

Really? In my opinion (and this is not meant to be offensive) he looks kind of like the mentally challenged brother from There's Something About Mary. :D

He's pitching well now, but I don't expect it to last.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:08 pm

Friends of Feather wrote:I say ride him while hes hot.

8-o
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Packrats » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:39 pm

I get a lot of his games and it seems to be that it is his funky delivery. Kind of hides the ball and then quickly drops the front arm and the ball is already on its way.

Once or twice through the league and I think that players will start hitting him more. But if you need wins and ERA then ride him while he's hot.
Packrats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:53 pm

hybrid wrote:
Friends of Feather wrote:I say ride him while hes hot.

8-o

until you can pick the Yankees size monger Wang up 8-o
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Cooner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:51 pm

DK wrote:
Cooner wrote:he looks like the white Morpheus out there on the mound.

Really? In my opinion (and this is not meant to be offensive) he looks kind of like the mentally challenged brother from There's Something About Mary. :D

I could see that as well... it's just something about the sunglasses and pronounced jaw that screams Morpheus to me.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers