huh, they PPD the second FLA COL game... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

huh, they PPD the second FLA COL game...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:36 pm

NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:Another reason why I hate H2H leagues and prefer Roto

Actually I prefer the H2H format. It takes different type of skills and if you are in a league with a bunch of friends, you create rivalries, etc.

Our league is a keeper so teams that are out of it in August make crazy trades for keepers. Also, H2H format forces you to put together a team that is more consistent and built to last towards the end of the season for the playoffs.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
bluefire7 wrote:sigh... these rain delays are destroying me in my h2h. :-[ oh well, at least i've got burnett pitching in philly rather than coors.

Tell me about it. I have Atkins, Barmes and Cabrera... Also Burnett in my H2H. :~(

yea i've got helton, castillo and mota, and i need saves!! :-P
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:06 pm

Yoda wrote:

Actually I prefer the H2H format. It takes different type of skills and if you are in a league with a bunch of friends, you create rivalries, etc.

Our league is a keeper so teams that are out of it in August make crazy trades for keepers. Also, H2H format forces you to put together a team that is more consistent and built to last towards the end of the season for the playoffs.

In H2H there is way too much roster churning. People add pitchers just cause they have 2 starts that week. (now that is not Fantasy baseball to me) Also the best team does not always win. You can have a dominant team and win every week, than you get to the finals and lose cause your players all get benched, since there teams have nothing to play for. And a team that is worse wins cause his players all play and you are forced to go through the WW finding replacements. (Exact thing happened to me in Basketball this year).

Maybe if there were no playoffs and the team that finished with the best record one the league, that would be fine. But I hate the idea of H2H playoffs. Especially in the last week of the season.

I just feel that you really dont have enough time to get involved in a H2H matchup. Too many freak things happen and it reflects more luck than fantasy baseball skills.

I love H2H for Football, but don't like it for baseball. I still do a H2H league cause in 1 league thats what my friends wanted, even though I tired to convince them to make it Roto.
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:13 pm

NY Yankees Fan 2004 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

In H2H there is way too much roster churning. People add pitchers just cause they have 2 starts that week. (now that is not Fantasy baseball to me) Also the best team does not always win. You can have a dominant team and win every week, than you get to the finals and lose cause your players all get benched, since there teams have nothing to play for. And a team that is worse wins cause his players all play and you are forced to go through the WW finding replacements. (Exact thing happened to me in Basketball this year).

Maybe if there were no playoffs and the team that finished with the best record one the league, that would be fine. But I hate the idea of H2H playoffs. Especially in the last week of the season.

I just feel that you really dont have enough time to get involved in a H2H matchup. Too many freak things happen and it reflects more luck than fantasy baseball skills.

I love H2H for Football, but don't like it for baseball. I still do a H2H league cause in 1 league thats what my friends wanted, even though I tired to convince them to make it Roto.

there are many ways to prevent roster churning. We pay a transaction fee of $5 so even though people pick up players daily, it's not 4-5 per day per team. We also limit the number of starts per week.

As for your playoffs argument... That is the way it is in all sports. Why would you want fantasy leagues to be any different. It's the most exciting time of the year and you have to build your team to win in the playoffs. Football is dumb b/c you lose a lot of PT since there is only one game per week but since baseball is played almost everyday, the affect of one person sitting out is much less than any other sport.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:18 pm

There goes my week and my money put into this league. First Sox game PPD (Ortiz, Bellhorn, Renteria) and now two Florida games (Cabrera, Encarnacion). Having Westbrook and Colon going this week doesn't help my cause from the pitching side either.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
Yoda wrote:

there are many ways to prevent roster churning. We pay a transaction fee of $5 so even though people pick up players daily, it's not 4-5 per day per team. We also limit the number of starts per week.

As for your playoffs argument... That is the way it is in all sports. Why would you want fantasy leagues to be any different. It's the most exciting time of the year and you have to build your team to win in the playoffs. Football is dumb b/c you lose a lot of PT since there is only one game per week but since baseball is played almost everyday, the affect of one person sitting out is much less than any other sport.

What I am saying is that its not fun having playoffs in the last week when your best player sits out because he has nothing to play for. It rewards teams with players that there team is contending (like the Astros last year) as opposed to the Cardinals (who had nothing to play for) If you want to have playoffs, fine. But having it the last week of the season is the dumbest thing ever.

In football I make sure my finals is in week 16 to avoid all of the problems.

As for Football, what is great about it is that everyone plays 1 game and you need to decide who you want in. IN Baseball some teams play more games than others: some pitchers start 2 games.
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Yoda wrote:
Yoda wrote:

What I am saying is that its not fun having playoffs in the last week when your best player sits out because he has nothing to play for. It rewards teams with players that there team is contending (like the Astros last year) as opposed to the Cardinals (who had nothing to play for) If you want to have playoffs, fine. But having it the last week of the season is the dumbest thing ever.

In football I make sure my finals is in week 16 to avoid all of the problems.

As for Football, what is great about it is that everyone plays 1 game and you need to decide who you want in. IN Baseball some teams play more games than others: some pitchers start 2 games.

I understand what you are saying of course. However, the impact of those missed games and the number of starts for pitchers is not as great as you think. For instance, the finals is over a two week period. If a player takes a day off you miss about 4-5 ABs out of 50 ABs per day or 650 AB for the two week period. Your fate won't be decided b/c a couple of your players were given a day off. For pitchers, you are more than likely to get 3 starts over the two week period.

I personally prefer the H2H method b/c it keeps teams in the race. You can lose 3-4 weeks in a row and still make it up easily. Also, the rivalries in the league make it a lot more fun IMO.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quietstorm » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:38 pm

I personally prefer the H2H method b/c it keeps teams in the race. You can lose 3-4 weeks in a row and still make it up easily. Also, the rivalries in the league make it a lot more fun IMO.

Agreed. One pitcher blowing up (*glares at Foulke*) may kill you for one week, but it's wiped out after that. Yes, H2H is a bit more fluky... but, as fantasy managers, aren't we trying to have fun by MANAGING A BASEBALL TEAM? Real baseball is just as fluky. Teams consistently get 3-4 wins higher or lower than their Pythagorean wins. That's enough to change the entire playoff field.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Punisher » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:45 pm

quietstorm wrote:

Agreed. One pitcher blowing up (*glares at Foulke*) may kill you for one week, but it's wiped out after that. Yes, H2H is a bit more fluky... but, as fantasy managers, aren't we trying to have fun by MANAGING A BASEBALL TEAM? Real baseball is just as fluky. Teams consistently get 3-4 wins higher or lower than their Pythagorean wins. That's enough to change the entire playoff field.

Well said, roto does take more skill but I like h2h a lot better because it simulates real baseball more, and exactly the best team doesnt always win, it gives a chance for multiple teams to be in the running for the championship
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers