Worst straight-up trade EVER - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Worst straight-up trade EVER

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Worst straight-up trade EVER

Postby TheRawDAWG » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:14 am

davidmarver wrote:
ocmusicjunkie wrote:So I open my team page this morning, only to find a Furcal for John Patterson trade pending.

I'm totally baffled.

Why do teams trade fifth round picks for guys who were on the WW two weeks ago? I mean, Patterson might workout to be a B- pitcher this year... but by trading him for a fifth rounder, you're basically saying he's as good as a Peavy/Isringhausen/Mulder type. :-t

Trade is lopsided, but not the worst one ever.

On a side note, try not to compare Jake Peavy and Mark Mulder. They aren't even close fantasy wise.

I agree! While you may be right Peavy was drafted in the fifth round of most drafts. He is far and away a steal in the fifth round. Comparing him to a fifth round selection of Furcal or Mulder is a mistake.

If this was a 'fair' trade like you are stating it should have been are you saying Peavy should have been given up for Furcal? They were both close draft picks....and in my mind a Furcal for Peavy would be way more lopsided than this deal.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:35 am

Hmm... lots going on in this thread.

I put the trade through before even posting here. It was lopsided, but didn't meet the standards I had already laid out for vetos. I think this really is one of the worst one-for-one trades I've seen. It's one thing to trade two uneven guys who were drafted... but Patterson was on the WW until just 1 start ago.

Also... I wasn't comparing the talent of Mulder and Peavy. The reality is that both were drafted around the 5th round in the majority of leagues I was in. Their "value" is about the same right now, mostly because the average league is full of at least a few players who only care about name recognition.

Whole point for posting this was more of a rant than anything... there isn't anything I can do except hope people learn from these mistakes.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby superfly » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:02 am

TheRawDAWG wrote:
superfly wrote:Veto it immediately, this is horrible for the guy who gets Furcal. Totally ripped off, John Patterson is a lock for NL Cy Young.

thats a joke. people are trying to help this guy. Why come on here and be a dick about it?

I'm being absolutely serious.
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:29 am

This is exactly the type of knee-jerk veto reaction that I despise in Public leagues.

99.9999999% of the time those who cast a veto vote have not looked at my roster or standings and have no idea what short or long-term strategy I have in place.

Maybe this guy is setting up a trade with another owner who has a thing for Nationals. Maybe the guy with Furcal has spare shortstops because he drafted to trade them away.

I'd hazard a guess that most folks who want to throw the veto card react on a pure gut level, operating under the assumption that if they wouldn't make the trade, neither should someone else. That's garbage.

Bottom line: What someone else considers a stupid or imbalanced trade may make perfect startegic sense for the teams involved.

So unless there is colusion, there is rarely a basis for a veto.
Last edited by d18Mike on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheMeXiKaN » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:59 pm

A few days ago I traded D. Willis for Furcal andR. Betancourt. This didn't get vetoed either, and theres no reason why it should have been. Of course, i feel i got the better of him, but he did have solid bacup SS in C. Guillen and he lacked an ACE, which he felt he was getting in Willis. Its funny becuase I was all about Willis having a career year, but now I cant wait to see him collapse against the Phillies tomorrow. But as for Patterson for Furcal, thats just an example of one manager getting the best of another one. If trades like that are vetoabe, wheres the fun in Fantasy Baseball anyway? MAY THE BEST MANager WIN! B-) B-) B-) B-) B-)
- - - - - - - - - There Is No Spoon - - - - - - - - -
TheMeXiKaN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:36 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote: It's one thing to trade two uneven guys who were drafted... but Patterson was on the WW until just 1 start ago.

What difference does that make? :-?

Guys bust out from the waiver wire all the time. Vic Martinez wasn't drafted in many leagues last year. Neither was Beltre (maybe drafted very, very late). How about Loaiza in '03? Undrafted. Happens every year.

Just because a guy came out of the free agent pool or the waiver wire, that does not affect his value in the least.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby warrick95 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Furcal was cut in my public league. I scooped him up with a waiver request and consequently traded him and Pat Burrell for Gary Sheffield. Sure, I overpaid, but from my standpoint, a waiver priority and Pat Burrell for Gary Sheffield is well worth it.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Sorry, but I don't see what's so bad about a Furcal-for-Patterson deal. In my league, SPs are in high demand right now, so even ones like Patterson (who has been good so far) have a high trade value. I suspect the owner of Patterson in my league would decline an offer for Furcal.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers