Are our Tigers starting to click now?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Are our Tigers starting to click now??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Are our Tigers starting to click now??

Postby Quick Nick » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:07 pm

Wednesday was a great game (again). Do you guys think the Tig's are going to start getting it together? Thier lower level players are really kicking it in gear. I think we got the Whitesox tonight, so its go time ;-D
Go Tigers!!
Quick Nick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:12 pm

I just picked up Nook Logan in my money league....hopefully he keeps playing well. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby cmchampa2 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 am

Up to .500, things are looking good.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:12 pm

Pena and Monroe haven't even really gotten going yet. If we get them hitting to their potential (Monroe has looked better lately) and get Percival back on a roll, we'll be in decent shape. Urbina's finally coming around, and that's a real good thing. Regardless, this is an exciting team to watch hit.

And how about my boy, Inge? What a great move it's been to put him at leadoff. Even when he makes an out, he still usually has a decent atbat. He gets on base at a good rate and doesn't get caught stealing or in a rundown every other time on base, unlike some of our former leadoff hitters.

Even without Ordonez, this is a capable team. The Twins and White Sox can't take them lightly.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Quick Nick » Wed May 04, 2005 5:45 pm

Looking pretty good against the RedSox! To be honest, I thought they'd stomp us because I'm not sold on our pitching yet, but Bonderman & Marroth made some killer pitches! But whats with all the walks? OUCH! Is this just something the Sox can do to a pitcher? I hate em, but respect thier lineup.

Wakefield tonight, I got a good feeling ;-D My magic 8 ball says we win 8-4
Go Tigers!!
Quick Nick
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 04, 2005 6:08 pm

I had them as a sleeper to knock off MIN this year. Not sure if that's going to happen, but they have looked much better as of late. And I've been riding the Nook high for a while now in one of my leagues. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Sat May 07, 2005 2:25 am

It looks like reality is starting to set in. This is not much different than the team that lost 90 games last year.

Their free agency signings can be called nothing less than total busts to date. Maggs won't produce until the season is well lost, and Percival looks to be finished as an elite closer.

Add to that Pena and Infante's predictable lack of early season production, and the coaching staff's inexeperience/incompetence and we have another long season ahead.

Alas, finishing .500 looks to be a pipe dream.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat May 07, 2005 1:58 pm

moochman wrote:It looks like reality is starting to set in. This is not much different than the team that lost 90 games last year.

Their free agency signings can be called nothing less than total busts to date. Maggs won't produce until the season is well lost, and Percival looks to be finished as an elite closer.

Add to that Pena and Infante's predictable lack of early season production, and the coaching staff's inexeperience/incompetence and we have another long season ahead.

Alas, finishing .500 looks to be a pipe dream.
Haha, we always know who to look for when we want the most pessimistic view of our team possible, but given their play lately can't argue with it too much. I fight my way to being the optimistic type, although they are making that tough right now.

It seems the whole offense has gone a bit dry lately. Clutch hitting is nonexistant when the situation arises. Craig Monroe looked like he was starting to come around and then got hurt. The Strep Throat may be hurting Inge's performance. Dimitri had to miss nearly a week with illness. That left handed hitting outfielder of ours gets too much playing time and has a wonderful .077 BA to show for it. Pena and Infante continue to be very bad. Hopefully this offense can heat up with the weather and stay relatively healthy with the guys we've got. Pena may be known as a slow starter, but not THIS slow.

The starting pitching lately hasn't been all bad, but far from great. Some more good outings lately from Bonderman, Johnson, Maroth and, Robertson than bad. Ledezma looks like he may not be ready to be a full time major leaguer just yet, and with the reports that they are watching Sean Douglass (and maybe Baugh) closely at AAA, you have to think a change may be made soon. Percival may not be the stud he used to be still has very good velocity, so he's not done yet, but we need him to get sharp in a hurry. Urbina's been getting better as the year has progressed, so we should be ok if we need him to step in as a closer or decide to trade him.

I am one of the first to defend Trammell, but he is really not impressing me much with how he's handling this team lately. I don't think I need to cite any examples there as his performance has been brought up before, and has been as bad as ever lately.

I have confidence in Dave Dombrowski watching over this team, but I'm not sure if there's much he can do at this point and time. We simply need to play better, and hopefully that'll happen if some players get healthy again and/or stop underachieving. Here's to hoping that we still improve over last year, if even only by a little.

Get healthy Magglio.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers