Kip Wells: Fluke or Fair Game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kip Wells: Fluke or Fair Game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kip Wells: Fluke or Fair Game?

Postby Darkie Satchels » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:46 am

Given, Kip & Co. had a crap start, but then turned it around in amazing fashion to shave off almost 6.00 from his ERA. Now, owning a Pirates pitcher is just a notch below calling up the Rockies bullpen. But he also took out a hot hitting team; Reds and an always potentially potent 'Stros offense. Plus, the Pirates aren't looking like the old poo-team of yesteryear...

So, that said, is he anywhere near your radar now or is he simply an annoying blimp that will fade away shortly.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 am

2002 era 3.58 147 k in 197 innings
2003 era 3.28 116 k in 138 innings

2004 he struggled, but he was hurt all year, looks like perhaps he has come back to 2002-2003 numbers, which are nothing to shake a stick at, especially since hes probably a waiver pickup. id give him a shot, hell i drafted him, dropped him, and picked him up and started him this week.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby hybrid » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:40 pm

I've seen him pitch and even though his line was alright, he struggled against the Reds and was fairly lucky they didn't score more. On the Astors well, about anyone can shut them out right now ... I'd say wait till he has a few more good outings.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby acsguitar » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:46 pm

Houston can't hit been shutout 5 times this year...Fluke
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:56 pm

Kip developed some control issues last season but settled down nicely in the 2nd half.

If he stops trying to K everyone he will be much better off. At this point, his team blows and with his shaky control he won't help you much in the other categories. He's definitely on my radar and if he has a couple more outings like that, then I would definitely snag him up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Kip Wells: Fluke or Fair Game?

Postby pappymojo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Darkie Satchels wrote:...he also took out...an always potentially potent 'Stros offense.

:-?

What does that even mean? always potentially? ha!
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cooner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:30 pm

It seems Kip just needs to settle down a bit- he's got the skills to be a solid fantasy pitcher who gets no wins. It's not clear to me that two nice outings against weak teams puts him on my team, but it definitely gets my attention simply due to the pre-'04 track record.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:06 pm

Yoda wrote:Kip developed some control issues last season but settled down nicely in the 2nd half.

If he stops trying to K everyone he will be much better off. At this point, his team blows and with his shaky control he won't help you much in the other categories. He's definitely on my radar and if he has a couple more outings like that, then I would definitely snag him up.

I totally agree with this. Wells is a power guy that can't put guys away. Since he can't, he should try to keep the ball down and get guys to hit grounders to the infield. If he just did this, maybe he wouldn't have 70-80 pitches in the 4th inning like he always does. He tiptoes around giving up a bunch of runs almost every inning. It's almost like he's the Danny Graves of starters. 8-o

He's got good pitches...but the combo of the bad Pirates offense and his inability to get 1-2-3 innings most of the time makes him risky. If you really need someone for a deeper league, he would be worth a look.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers