Deep thoughts by Curt Schilling... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Deep thoughts by Curt Schilling...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:52 pm

Alright, he's allowed to speak his mind. And so am I. And I'm calling him a jackass.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
DK wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Ummm aren't you contradicting yourself? Magrane is PAID to make comments like this. He's obviously in the business so he's heard Schilling's yapper enough to say it. You said yourself that everyone should just say and do what is on their mind. Be yourself. Can you imagine if everyone acted like Schilling? There would be a lot of angry people.

How is that contradictory? I never said that Magrane couldn't make those comments; quite the contrary he is allowed. But if Schilling is in front of the media and the comments are brought up, he certainly is allowed to retort.

But then he has the right to attack Pinella? Make up a story about how one of Pinella's players called him an 'idiot' for losing 100 games forever?

I respect someone like Pinella, who was ripped for no apparent reason, yet has the decency not to fire back like Schilling did. That shows character and control.

AGAIN:

It is not a fact that Schilling made up this story. Not by any stretch of the imagination. So stop pretending it is.

Pinella doesn't want to believe it's true, and hasn't been asked for his comments from the media. Therefore, it has nothing to do with his "character" or his "control" (yet), it's just lack of opportunity.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:55 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Alright, he's allowed to speak his mind. And so am I. And I'm calling him a jackass.

OK, disregard his work to help patients with ALS. After all, since you don't know him, have never met him, and he's a Red Sock, you are absolutely privy to information that would make him a jackass, right? You're speaking your own mind and sounding like a jackass all the way. Way to go! ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:59 pm

DK wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Alright, he's allowed to speak his mind. And so am I. And I'm calling him a jackass.

OK, disregard his work to help patients with ALS. After all, since you don't know him, have never met him, and he's a Red Sock, you are absolutely privy to information that would make him a jackass, right? You're speaking your own mind and sounding like a jackass all the way. Way to go! ;D

Ok, so Schilling is the only guy who's ever started a charitable foundation? I'd venture to say 85% of athletes do something to help out those less fortunate. Schilling is one person.

No I've never met him, big deal. He comes off like a jackass. Maybe he's the best guy in the world but likes to make himself out to be a jackass when the camera is on or the microphone is in front of him. That must be it. He's a great guy, just likes to make himself look like a fool.

Him being a Red Sock has no effect on my personal feeling toward him. I've never liked him, he's always been a big mouth. I hated him in Philly, I hated him in Arizona, and I hate him in Boston.

And Schilling can call Pinella an idiot out of nowhere and act like a bitch about it, but he doesn't make himself sound like a jackass? Please, DK.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:01 pm

Tampa Bay has been a joke of a team long before Lou Pinella became the manager. So whether the statement is true or false, it was idiotic for the player to say it, and idiotic for Schilling to say it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:03 pm

DK wrote:

It's admirable that he is helping sick people. However, that doesn't excuse him from making ignorant comments and acting like a child. I would have a load of respect if he was simply a great pitcher and did his thing without running his yapper regularly. If you still think that calling people out and resorting to name calling is acceptable in our society then I can't help you. I was raised to respect the opponent and do the best that I can do to beat them without running my mouth. In fact, if we talked crap or taunted the opponent, then we were reprimanded for it. But I guess for Schilling and his supporters, this is totally acceptable. We've covered pretty much all basis and we seem to be going around in a circle so I'm done with this thread. Enjoy! ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:17 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Ok, so Schilling is the only guy who's ever started a charitable foundation? I'd venture to say 85% of athletes do something to help out those less fortunate. Schilling is one person.

Does that make him any worse of a person? :-?

BronXBombers51 wrote:No I've never met him, big deal. He comes off like a jackass. Maybe he's the best guy in the world but likes to make himself out to be a jackass when the camera is on or the microphone is in front of him. That must be it. He's a great guy, just likes to make himself look like a fool.

He speaks his mind. He's not afraid of what other people think of him. If you think that makes him a bad person, then that's your fault, not his. But I don't pass judgements on people.

Did you ever think that maybe- just maybe- a writer from the media asked him about Pinella? That Schilling didn't just walk into a Press Conference and start talking?

BronXBombers51 wrote:Him being a Red Sock has no effect on my personal feeling toward him. I've never liked him, he's always been a big mouth. I hated him in Philly, I hated him in Arizona, and I hate him in Boston.

Fair enough.

BronXBombers51 wrote:And Schilling can call Pinella an idiot out of nowhere and act like a bitch about it, but he doesn't make himself sound like a jackass? Please, DK.

Oh my goodness. This is the MILLIONTH time I have to explain this?

IT WAS NOT OUT OF NOWHERE. According to Schilling, he heard these things from the TB players. Now if that's true or not, I don't know. But I'm NOT writing it off as false.

Yoda wrote:It's admirable that he is helping sick people. However, that doesn't excuse him from making ignorant comments and acting like a child. I would have a load of respect if he was simply a great pitcher and did his thing without running his yapper regularly. If you still think that calling people out and resorting to name calling is acceptable in our society then I can't help you. I was raised to respect the opponent and do the best that I can do to beat them without running my mouth. In fact, if we talked crap or taunted the opponent, then we were reprimanded for it. But I guess for Schilling and his supporters, this is totally acceptable. We've covered pretty much all basis and we seem to be going around in a circle so I'm done with this thread. Enjoy! ;-D

Learn where the enter button is.

With that aside: What makes his comments ignorant? That people lashed out at him and he's not scared to lash back? Guys trash talk all the time in the majors; it's been there since the beginning. Getting mad at it now is foolhardy.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TB13 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:17 pm

Bas wrote:No it means every fifth day he is gonna go out and beat you. That is how you back up your trash talk. You can say whatever you want to the media but the only thing that matters is what happens on the field.

Talking about beating another team and then backing it up is one thing. Talking about another teams batters and then striking them out is talking smack and backing it up.
Saying that some unnamed player told him that Pinella is an idiot just makes Schilling a moron with a big mouth, who happens to be blessed with pitching talent. A jackass with a big mouth and great ability is just that.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:32 pm

DK wrote:
What makes his comments ignorant? That people lashed out at him and he's not scared to lash back? Guys trash talk all the time in the majors; it's been there since the beginning. Getting mad at it now is foolhardy.

So making up a lie about how a TB player during a bench clearing brawl told him that the reason why they've been losing 100 games a year is b/c of their idiot manager... isn't ignorant? That isn't trash talk. You can continue to believe that Schilling is this holy being. Just don't try to convince me of it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:35 pm

Yoda wrote:
DK wrote:
What makes his comments ignorant? That people lashed out at him and he's not scared to lash back? Guys trash talk all the time in the majors; it's been there since the beginning. Getting mad at it now is foolhardy.

So making up a lie about how a TB player during a bench clearing brawl told him that the reason why they've been losing 100 games a year is b/c of their idiot manager... isn't ignorant? That isn't trash talk. You can continue to believe that Schilling is this holy being. Just don't try to convince me of it.

This is ridiculous. You treat the fact that he lied as fact. It's not, and don't even try to pretend it is.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers