Deep thoughts by Curt Schilling... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Deep thoughts by Curt Schilling...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby .38 Special » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:17 pm

World Champions
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:19 pm

Bas wrote:He responded to question with his personal opinion. Maybe he shouldnt have called Pinella an idiot, which is unprofessional, but none of us can certainly say he is lying about anything he said.

Hmmm... Schilling or Pinella whose words carry more weight? Even Schilling's man-crush buddies have to admit that in all probability, Pinella's telling the truth. Which makes Schilling a liar. He only used to be a loudmouth but he just turned himself into a liar also. Seriously, how can you respect, let alone defend someone like him in this instance? You are almost better off not saying anything instead of adding fuel to the fire like "Schilling is a man. He backs up his talk with his performance" CRAP.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:25 pm

http://www.alsa.org/community/curts_pitch.cfm
Call him a jackass now.

I don't like his politics, but he's certainly not stupid or a jackass by any means.

Most of you are doing nothing but attacking each other. Stay on focus.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Bas » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:27 pm

How can i respect someone like him? Well he is one hell of a baseball player that plays with alot of heart. Im not really trying to defend what he said to the media because i dont really care what any athlete says to the media unless its something like Vince Carter saying he doesnt always give 100%. I dont watch players cause they are polite and friendly, I watch them cause they can play the game. If the fans of Boston get tired of Schilling and his mouth send him over to Det we would be happy to have him.
Bas
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:30 pm

DK wrote:http://www.alsa.org/community/curts_pitch.cfm
Call him a jackass now.

I don't like his politics, but he's certainly not stupid or a jackass by any means.

I appreciate the post but it still doesn't make up for the fact that he is a liar and a loudmouth who talks faster than he can think.

A lot of athletes donate a ton of money to charity and medical research foundations. That is because they can. If I had a $13-14 mill income I am sure I would be donating a ton. Still doesn't give me the right to lie or call people names in the media though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:35 pm

Yoda wrote:
Call him a jackass now.

I appreciate the post but it still doesn't make up for the fact that he is a liar and a loudmouth who talks faster than he can think.

What, just like almost every other athlete on the planet? ;-) I don't know if he was lying or not, and I probably never will. However, I don't let it bother me, because I honestly don't care if he is.

Schilling is an entertainer. He gets paid to entertain. If he does it more than just on the baseball field, so be it.

Yoda wrote:A lot of athletes donate a ton of money to charity and medical research foundations. That is because they can. If I had a $13-14 mill income I am sure I would be donating a ton. Still doesn't give me the right to lie or call people names in the media though.

Again, you are assuming that it is a fact he is lying. Could he be? Possible- I would say, probable. But it's not a fact, so don't peddle it as one.

Calling people "names", as you put it, as been around since the beginning of the media. I, for one, feel refreshed that someone hasn't been brainwashed by a so-called "media consultant." He says what he wants to say, bar none.

It's like when a person has a front their entire life. Just be yourself.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:43 pm

DK wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Call him a jackass now.

What, just like almost every other athlete on the planet? ;-) I don't know if he was lying or not, and I probably never will. However, I don't let it bother me, because I honestly don't care if he is.

Schilling is an entertainer. He gets paid to entertain. If he does it more than just on the baseball field, so be it.

Yoda wrote:A lot of athletes donate a ton of money to charity and medical research foundations. That is because they can. If I had a $13-14 mill income I am sure I would be donating a ton. Still doesn't give me the right to lie or call people names in the media though.

Again, you are assuming that it is a fact he is lying. Could he be? Possible- I would say, probable. But it's not a fact, so don't peddle it as one.

Calling people "names", as you put it, as been around since the beginning of the media. I, for one, feel refreshed that someone hasn't been brainwashed by a so-called "media consultant." He says what he wants to say, bar none.

It's like when a person has a front their entire life. Just be yourself.

The point is if he has a problem with someone, he doesn't do it directly. He hasn't called Pinella to tell him how he felt, nor Kruk, nor Magrane. That's cowardly when you go out in the media and call someone out and call them an idiot and insult them but can't pick up the phone or face them directly. Guess he is just being himself though as you said. He can't say it to their face obviously but he loves the attention of the media to say whatever shit as long as the person he is ripping is not standing next to him.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:54 pm

Yoda wrote:The point is if he has a problem with someone, he doesn't do it directly. He hasn't called Pinella to tell him how he felt, nor Kruk, nor Magrane. That's cowardly when you go out in the media and call someone out and call them an idiot and insult them but can't pick up the phone or face them directly. Guess he is just being himself though as you said. He can't say it to their face obviously but he loves the attention of the media to say whatever shit as long as the person he is ripping is not standing next to him.

First of all, watch your language. No spittin', no swearin', no politics.

Secondly, it's not that easy to just obtain someone's number and say something to their face. It's not something that you or I are accustomed to, because we don't have people speaking about us that we don't know.

If someone from another state called you a jackass whom you'd never met before, I think you'd be compelled to say the same about them. Doesn't mean you storm their house in protest, or leave scathing messages.

Everyone knows that the way to get an opinion out into the open is through the media; it's a common fact. Schilling wanted to expose these people for what he (believes) they are, and sure enough he did.

What good is a private phone call when the media is there wanting his opinion?

It's entertainment, baby. Just enjoy it and remember it's only a game.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:02 pm

DK wrote:
Yoda wrote:The point is if he has a problem with someone, he doesn't do it directly. He hasn't called Pinella to tell him how he felt, nor Kruk, nor Magrane. That's cowardly when you go out in the media and call someone out and call them an idiot and insult them but can't pick up the phone or face them directly. Guess he is just being himself though as you said. He can't say it to their face obviously but he loves the attention of the media to say whatever shit as long as the person he is ripping is not standing next to him.

Secondly, it's not that easy to just obtain someone's number and say something to their face. It's not something that you or I are accustomed to, because we don't have people speaking about us that we don't know.

If someone from another state called you a jackass whom you'd never met before, I think you'd be compelled to say the same about them. Doesn't mean you storm their house in protest, or leave scathing messages.

Everyone knows that the way to get an opinion out into the open is through the media; it's a common fact. Schilling wanted to expose these people for what he (believes) they are, and sure enough he did.

eh you're right. I just like to rip people who rip other people for no good reason. That is good entertainment. ;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:06 pm

Yoda wrote:
DK wrote:

eh you're right. I just like to rip people who rip other people for no good reason. That is good entertainment. ;-D

See, THAT'S what's called a lie. Schilling spoke what he believed about the TB pitchers. I don't consider that "no reason."

Did you hear what Magrane said about him? I'll repeat:

Joe Magrane wrote:Schilling running his mouth again, shocking Dwayne (Staats), shocking. He’s too old for this. He threw his walker down and tried to make his way out there.

That's offensive. Schilling has a right to retort.

It was a nice try at sarcasm and trying to seem holier-than, but it didn't work.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers