My First Sig (Chacin) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

My First Sig (Chacin)

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

My First Sig (Chacin)

Postby asumikey222 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:59 am

Ok so some people liked my Kid Wonderful image, but I just got Photoshop today and made this after looking at a few tutorials (though I still have basically 0 idea what I'm doing). Photoshop is incredibly deep, it's mind-blowing, especially since all I had experience on before was Paint. Whadaya think?

My name's too big but I had already rasterized it by the time I realized. Either way, it's a first effort. :)
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby asumikey222 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:34 am

Whipped up a quick border b/c it felt so naked w/o it:

asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joshyboy72 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:38 am

Way too messy. I like that border but it doesn't really fit the sig all that well. Your cropping is good, though. Not bad.
big ups to smoovethug on the sig
joshyboy72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby asumikey222 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:34 am

Thanks.

Here's the most recent version (I've been working on this just today, my first day using Photoshop, so pardon any messiness, etc. as I'm still getting used to the way things work).

asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:25 am

I like the background...don't like the border...Just some better text....looks good though
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby leal72 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:11 am

good job ;-D

I would darken the background, that will allow the other images to stand out (you can saturate it or add a layer of color over it and blend it)

Play around with the text, the way you have the text now is a bit tough to read (may be able to just add a glow to it to bring it out)
leal72
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby asumikey222 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:16 am

Thanks a lot for the comments, guys.

I made another for laffs (basketball, but figured I'd just add it here):

My goal is to include the CN Tower in every image I make; too bad I couldn't get it into the Kid Wonderful image.

Oh and the latest Maracaibo image taking into consideration some of the great recommendations here, basically I darkened up the Jays logo so that it fits better with the overall look and added a nice glow to the text which seems to make it much clearer, now I'm actually starting to figure out how to work with text a lot better, but the program is so deep it's ridiculous (which is a good thing).

One thing I'd like to figure out how to do is to get a layer mask so that the edges of the Jays logo blend into the background. I know I've seen how to do this somewhere, but every time I lasso the part of the logo I want to stand out and hit layer mask, it just cuts out the edges entirely whereas I want it to blend. Thanks!

Also what is the best way to edit it all the way down to sig size? I tried to lower the JPG quality upon saving but I had to put it at like 2/10 to get it under 12 kb; I managed to get a decent image blurring it a bit and reducing it in size and to 50/100 JPG quality in "Save for Web" and ImageReady, but I had no idea how to save this version properly.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby leal72 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:57 pm

not sure I quite understand what your asking about the logo, it looks blended. Some tips that may help are feather the edges of the image/logo, if the lasso isn't giving you nice edges use the pen tool to cutout images.

As for getting it down to under 12K there's no other way to do it than how you've done, but one thing I've found is that if you lessen the amount of contrasting colors that will help out the quality tons. As an example try changing the text to a dark blue or black (then add a glow) and saturating the background with the same dark color.
leal72
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests