Top Broadcasters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Broadcasters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:00 pm

Another vote for Scully, no surprise here. He has slowed down a little and his game calls are not what they were 10 or 20 years ago but for people from LA my age (30) it is always nice to hear him since he is one of the few things that has been a constant over the course of our lives.

I also have to agree on Morgan. I hear Buck Martinez a lot on O's games and have come around to liking him.

The Nats have brought on Ron Darling as their color guy. He is all platitudes, never anything interesting or insightful to say.

Rex Hudler is another guy who gets on my nerves.

But I think anyone from LA would tell you that Rick Monday is the crappiest broadcaster there is in MLB.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:04 pm

ilsa wrote:I like Buck, Scully, and Tom Grieve.

I like listening to Grieve as well. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby pmacxx2 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:04 pm

For anyone who hasn't heard Hawk it's a bit difficult to adapt to his style. No one can duplicate it and I don't think anyone is willing to try. That's what makes him unique and Sox fans have embraced him because he has great pride in the franchise. With so little appreciation for the Sox on the national scene, Hawk at least provides an identity for the team.

As far as the crosstown goes, Stone was the tops and I haven't heard anyone close to him. The national scene should be grateful for his color analysis on ESPN. Chip Carey blows. A former basketball announcer who despite 5 years of doing play-by-play for the Cubs still knows little about baseball.

The current crop of Cubs announcers, Len Kasper and Bob Brenley, are horribly lame and forgettable.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:39 pm

Vin Scully - a classic. He's definitely old school, and I agree that he throws some stats out there, but he is definitely one of the best.

Next for me would be John Miller. Also, not sure who they are, but the Brewers announcers are fun to listen to. I personally like Joe Buck and think Steve Stone is/was a great color analyst.

As for worst, Joe Morgan is tops. He is annoying, acts like a know-it-all. And, when he states an opinion that is shown to be wrong - he'll reverse his opinion and act like he never stated it any other way. He is the reason I don't watch Sunday Night Baseball unless one of my teams is playing - and then on mute.

Hawk Harrelson is a close second. The biggest homer in announcing. Yesterday's game was a prime example - he just wouldn't shut up about how the Sox had been screwed, even though there should have been little doubt Crede leaned into the pitch.

Tim McCarver is also pretty bad.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:36 pm

You want bad...try Suzyn Waldman. Or Fran Healy. Or Keith Hernandez.

Waldman talks about drivvel and the player's feeling all the time and has no clue about strategy.

Healy is a blithering idiot.

Hernandez has a very whining and irritating voice.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:41 pm

I forgot to mention my worst.

Tim McCarver and Joe Buck. They almost ruined the Red Sox postseason for me last year. Each game, it was painful to listen to those two. I still don't understand why they can't have one FOX announcer, and one local announcer. I listen to RemDogg ALL YEAR, and then I can't listen to him during the playoffs? Doesn't make much sense.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby yellowdog » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:45 pm

Vin Scully is good. As a Reds fan, I get to hear Marty Brenneman a lot, and enjoy him. Some can't stand his negativity, but I can appreciate his candidness. Steve Stone is by far, my favorite color man. Ron Santo is unbearable.
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:59 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:I forgot to mention my worst.

Tim McCarver and Joe Buck. They almost ruined the Red Sox postseason for me last year. Each game, it was painful to listen to those two. I still don't understand why they can't have one FOX announcer, and one local announcer. I listen to RemDogg ALL YEAR, and then I can't listen to him during the playoffs? Doesn't make much sense.

I can't stand McCarver!!! I remember having to mute the TV and turn on the radio just to watch the playoffs last year when he was calling games!!!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:04 pm

McCarver is bad but he is not that bad. He is Einstein compared to Joe Morgan.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dmville » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:23 pm

pmacxx2 wrote:As far as the crosstown goes, Stone was the tops and I haven't heard anyone close to him. The national scene should be grateful for his color analysis on ESPN. Chip Carey blows. A former basketball announcer who despite 5 years of doing play-by-play for the Cubs still knows little about baseball.

The current crop of Cubs announcers, Len Kasper and Bob Brenley, are horribly lame and forgettable.

Carey I kinda liked, he at least had some chemistry w Stone.

Kasper reminds me a lot of Chip and he is OK. Gotta give him some more time, but right now they seem like they are un affiliated network guys who just happen to do the Cub games every day. Why the Cubs couldn't stick with someone w a Chicago connection I don't get.

As for Bob "Climb the ladder" ten times a game Brenly, he can go anytime he pleases.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers