Top Broadcasters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Broadcasters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:06 am

xeifrank wrote: I always enjoyed Harold Carey, even though it sounded like he was drunk.

vr

Xei

I don't think Harry just sounded like he was drunk.

I'll tell who I think is absolutely outstanding, and that's Steve Stone. Of course, he was also candid, which is why the Cubs sent him packing.

I also enjoy Jerry Remy in his role as analyst.

As for HOF member Scully, he still paints a picture like no one else. And thankfully, he does allow for some "dead air" moments. There's nothing more relaxing (for me) than cruising around town with the top down on a hot summer evening and listening to the ballpark. Just fabulous.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:19 am

xeifrank wrote:Yep, Scully is the best. And have to agree that Morgan is one of the worst, mostly because of all the dumb things he says. Even though I went to college with the guy, I have to give him a thumbs down. Worst announcer I ever heard was the Mariners announcer but this was probably about 20 years ago, the guy is probably retired or passed away by now. He had this annoying <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=catch%20phrase" onmouseover="window.status='catch phrase'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">catch phrase</a> of "My Oh My!" whenever the Mariners did anything good, and when Todd Cruz drives in a run and the Ms are only down 10-1 and the announcer is yelling "My Oh My", it kind of gets on your nerves. I always enjoyed Harold Carey, even though it sounded like he was drunk. I also liked listening to Don Drysdale before he passed away (RIP). There are so many bad announcers that I've heard over the years, don't really know their names. One of them is the San Diego Padre broadcaster, he sounds like WAY too much of a homer. That's one thing I can't stand in an announcer is a HOMER. Nothing wrong with getting excited when the home team is doing well, but try not to make it too obvious.

vr

Xei

The Homer you talk about is Ted Leitner, and believe me, I'll be the first to rejoice when he is replaced.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby nmarq8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:25 am

xeifrank wrote:Yep, Scully is the best. And have to agree that Morgan is one of the worst, mostly because of all the dumb things he says. Even though I went to college with the guy, I have to give him a thumbs down. Worst announcer I ever heard was the Mariners announcer but this was probably about 20 years ago, the guy is probably retired or passed away by now. He had this annoying catch phrase of "My Oh My!" whenever the Mariners did anything good, and when Todd Cruz drives in a run and the Ms are only down 10-1 and the announcer is yelling "My Oh My", it kind of gets on your nerves. I always enjoyed Harold Carey, even though it sounded like he was drunk. I also liked listening to Don Drysdale before he passed away (RIP). There are so many bad announcers that I've heard over the years, don't really know their names.
One of them is the San Diego Padre broadcaster
, he sounds like WAY too much of a homer. That's one thing I can't stand in an announcer is a HOMER. Nothing wrong with getting excited when the home team is doing well, but try not to make it too obvious.

vr

Xei

matt vasgersian, the guy drives me nuts. he gets about as happy as a morman girl on her honeymoon every time the team scores a run. but what's funnier is that he grew up just outside oakland, went to college at USC, spent a few years broadcasting minor league games all over the midwest, announced for the brewers, and then signed with the padres a couple years ago. how he has become such a homer for the "pads" is more or less an identity crisis.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby with_pleasure » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:25 am

I don't know about best. Jerry Remy (BOS) is good 'cuz he has a really interesting, noncompromised northeastern dialect. Michael Kay (NYY) is one of the worst, absolutely. The "see ya" thing he does at every Yankee home run is completely disgusting, like he felt he just had to come up with a slogan.

The Diamondback announcers need a little life support.
with_pleasure
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:26 am

Scully is the best. Being from LA, I hear him a bit too much... but he's the best.

Morgan needs to die. He ruins sunday night baseball.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:24 am

I was watching a pre-game show on Sunday before the Pirates game, and Lanny Frattare was talking to some guy who rated the best announcers ever on a scale of 1 to 100%. The only person who rated a 100% was Vin Scully. The rest of the guys in the top 10 of his list are dead or not announcing anymore. Bob Prince was 7th or 8th, I can't remember now.

I can't remember the name of the guy or the book, but I'm sure it's in bookstores now. :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dmville » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:35 am

Scully is good, just gets a bit too off track while there is an important play gloing on sometimes. But overall, enjoyable to listen to.

Second ya on Stone. Best color man in baseball.

The worst? A tie between

the White sox Harrelson--"he gone"--Please make it stop. And also, how can a 3 hour broadcast have 4 hours of dead air? This guy can do it though.

Whoever the PIT guys are. Play by play guy not too bad, but their color guy is awful. Sounds like a guy they pulled out of the corner tavern who played a little softball once. Also way too much dead air.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:43 am

beltrans_boy wrote:
AcesFull wrote:I hate to say it, but Vin Scully is painfully boring. He is too monotone and doesn't offer enough insight into the game. At least Joe Morgan talks about how startegies play out in the game. Are you serious Vin Scully :-P

If you need baseball explained to you like a 5-year old...Joe Morgan.

If you want to enjoy one of the greatest announces in baseball...Vin Scully.

Right...I love drivel and meaningless stats thrown at me ad-nauseum....nothing quite like comments like this:

Izturis is 4-15 with runners in scoring position during the 5th inning of Tuesday Day games played on the road in which the opposition scored in the bottom of 2md with 2 out and in which there was a rain delay.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:14 am

I dislike Scully. I don't like the Dodgers anyway, and he does nothing to change that. He is boring, throws out useless stats and talks way too much. The only ones worse are the ChiSox duo.

The best to me are the Braves. I did like the duo of Stone and Caray for the Cubs, and it was a shame that management there decided they needed homers instead of objective announcers.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sign of Eth » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 am

Vin Scully easily gets my vote.

As for color man, Joe Torre was my favorite when I was a kid and I don't think I've heard anyone better since he left the Angels to manage the Cardinals.
Sign of Eth
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers