Top Broadcasters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top Broadcasters

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top Broadcasters

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:50 am

I have MLB.TV and have been watching many different telecasts around the country. Who do you guys think are the top broadcasters in the country? Also who are the worst ones?
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nmarq8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:57 am

vin scully is the best hands down. the worst is joe morgan. i also like the cards longtime announcer, i don't know his name.

just thought i'd add this, for college football i love hearing a game by keith jackson (one of my favorite announcers of any sport). at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, i've resorted to muting the game when brent musburger opens his mouth.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bd3521 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:02 am

I would second Vin Scully's one man show ;-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcesFull » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:05 am

I hate to say it, but Vin Scully is painfully boring. He is too monotone and doesn't offer enough insight into the game. At least Joe Morgan talks about how startegies play out in the game. Are you serious Vin Scully :-P
AcesFull
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beltrans_boy » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:06 am

AcesFull wrote:I hate to say it, but Vin Scully is painfully boring. He is too monotone and doesn't offer enough insight into the game. At least Joe Morgan talks about how startegies play out in the game. Are you serious Vin Scully :-P

If you need baseball explained to you like a 5-year old...Joe Morgan.

If you want to enjoy one of the greatest announces in baseball...Vin Scully.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:09 am

nmarq8 wrote:vin scully is the best hands down. the worst is joe morgan. i also like the cards longtime announcer, i don't know his name.

Mike Shannon?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby AcesFull » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:16 am

I am sorry to offend al of you Vin Scully fans but he doesn't ever inflect his voice. In the middle of the game I just hear Bueller. Besides he has long spaces of dead air. That in my opinion is a big part of being a broadcaster. Vin Scully hands down the most boring announcer in all of MLB. I can't stand to watch Dodger games because of him.
AcesFull
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby davidmarver » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:43 am

Vin Scully is hands-down the greatest play-by-play announcer and his stories are always fun to listen to.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby xeifrank » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:52 am

Yep, Scully is the best. And have to agree that Morgan is one of the worst, mostly because of all the dumb things he says. Even though I went to college with the guy, I have to give him a thumbs down. Worst announcer I ever heard was the Mariners announcer but this was probably about 20 years ago, the guy is probably retired or passed away by now. He had this annoying catch phrase of "My Oh My!" whenever the Mariners did anything good, and when Todd Cruz drives in a run and the Ms are only down 10-1 and the announcer is yelling "My Oh My", it kind of gets on your nerves. I always enjoyed Harold Carey, even though it sounded like he was drunk. I also liked listening to Don Drysdale before he passed away (RIP). There are so many bad announcers that I've heard over the years, don't really know their names. One of them is the San Diego Padre broadcaster, he sounds like WAY too much of a homer. That's one thing I can't stand in an announcer is a HOMER. Nothing wrong with getting excited when the home team is doing well, but try not to make it too obvious.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:57 am

xeifrank wrote:Yep, Scully is the best. And have to agree that Morgan is one of the worst, mostly because of all the dumb things he says. Even though I went to college with the guy, I have to give him a thumbs down. Worst announcer I ever heard was the Mariners announcer but this was probably about 20 years ago, the guy is probably retired or passed away by now. He had this annoying catch phrase of "My Oh My!" whenever the Mariners did anything good, and when Todd Cruz drives in a run and the Ms are only down 10-1 and the announcer is yelling "My Oh My", it kind of gets on your nerves. I always enjoyed Harold Carey, even though it sounded like he was drunk. I also liked listening to Don Drysdale before he passed away (RIP). There are so many bad announcers that I've heard over the years, don't really know their names. One of them is the San Diego Padre broadcaster, he sounds like WAY too much of a homer. That's one thing I can't stand in an announcer is a HOMER. Nothing wrong with getting excited when the home team is doing well, but try not to make it too obvious.

vr

Xei

As far as homers go I don't think it gets any worse than Ron Santo for the cubbies... anytime someone scores a run against them he sounds like he's gonna pass a kidney stone!

Personally I really like the Giants announcers Jon Miller and Co. however Miller is quite possibly the worst dressed man in all of baseball
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers