Persuasive Speech pt. 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Persuasive Speech pt. 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Persuasive Speech pt. 2

Postby eftda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:39 am

I need to give a persuasive speech/informative speech on roids in MLB. I know the cafe has a long history of roid talk but I need some hard core refrences to go along with DK and Wrevs discussions. Any suggestions or thougths?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:43 am

I know alot of the Bonds topics were locked and moved into the hidden data base. Is it possible for a mod to lend me a few of those topics for research?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:50 am

What kind of stuff are you looking for? Anything in particular, or just general info? I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff out there about the Congressional hearings, and places like ESPN may still have some stuff up if you looking for "credible" :-b sources.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby eftda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:53 am

Well, of course I'm going to talk about Balco, but I want to talk about the 'birth' of roids in MLB. I don't want to read Joses book, too bad there arn't spark notes for it.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:07 am

I wouldn't read Jose's book if you had a gun to my head. I'm sure it's just a bunch of drivel and cheap shots and would be of absolutely no help to anything like this.

I'm not sure where you could find much info on that stuff, since there really is no consensus as to when the "epidemic" started. But then again, what do I know. :-D

A quick Google I came up with these:
Quick timeline -- Nothing about steroids, but illustrates that there were suspicsions for years.
General steroids info

Not much, but hopefully it's a start.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby eftda » Mon May 16, 2005 12:19 am

I finished writing my outline for my speech, I thought I should share so I can see what others think of it. If you love it, thanks, if you hate it tell me what to fix. I think I was able to say everything with truth, but I may be wrong. Here it is.

Introduction:
    No one likes a cheater, or do they? No one seemed to complain about steroids as loud as they are now back in the early 1990’s when Major League Baseball players were setting records for homeruns. Maybe no one spoke up because baseball needed a revival, and it was willing to allow cheaters to become stars. But now, 10 plus years have passed since the suspected steroid ‘boom’ and Major League Baseball and their fans are tired of seeing cheaters get the same attention as the naturals.
    Thesis:
    This morning I will touch base on what steroids are, which baseball players have used them, and how baseball plans on handling this situation so that you will have a better understanding of this crisis.

Body:
    I. In order to talk about steroids in baseball, we need to each understand the basics of steroids.

A. The steroid used by baseball players are Anabolic steroids

1. American Academy of Pediatrics says “steroids help build muscle tissue and increase body mass by acting like the body's natural male hormone, testosterone”

2. So it is nice that steroid help build muscle mass, but there are certain side effect such as; Liver damage and cancers, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, Severe acne, especially on face and back and baldness.

B. Steroids are used in baseball in the following way.

1. Steroids could be use to build strength in the leg muscles to run faster, or for pitchers to push off the pitcher mound quicker

2. Steroids can also help a batter swing the baseball bat quicker, also allowing them to hit the ball farther; however, steroids can not a baseball players hand eye coordination.
    II. Knowing which baseball players who where on steroids before 2005 was nearly impossible; Major League Baseballs’ steroid testing was a flat out joke.

A. First, I will list and describe a few ball players who where caught for using, or those whom have admitted using steroids.

1. ESPN news reports that Jose Cancesco, Ken Camanitti, and Jason Giambi have all admitted to using steroids.

2. When Major League Baseball decided to buckle down on their steroid testing, the following players were called out for using steroids; Alex Sanchez, Damian Moss, Ryan Christianson and 36 Baseball Minor Leaguers

B. Now that we have discussed which players have admitted or tested positive for steroids, we can now move on to talking about the players whom are suspected to taking steroids.

1. In 1998, Chicago Cub Sammy Sosa, and St., Luis Cardinal Mark McGuire were both labeled as steroid users, but nothing was proven in court.

2. The same goes for a handful of Athletes in the Bay Area; San Francisco Giants Barry Bonds admitted to using a cream but claimed that it was not steroids.
    III. So now that it is evident that steroids is a crisis in baseball, we can now move onto how Major League Baseball plans on handling the situation.

A. Under the current random drug testing policy, MajorLeagueBaseball.com reports that players will receive the following penalties:

1. 15 games for a first positive test, but even more for future positive testings.

2. A release of the players name is always a possibility, but having a player become suspended for 15 days will always let fans know which players tested positive.

B. Major league Baseball commissioner, Bug Selig is moving to propose a new drug testing policy that would hurt players even more.

1. Fantasy Info Central reports that under Bug Selig's proposed plan, a players first offense would mean a 50 game suspension, a second offense would be 100 game suspension and a third offense would equal a lifetime ban.

2. Major League baseballs future steroid testing would still follow the same guide lines as the current system which include; random player and time drug testing, off season drug testing, and imitate suspension.
    Conclusion:
      So now we know that knowing which baseball players who have been on steroids is not easy to tell. However, with new drug policies and with harsher penalties for athletes, steroids usage in Baseball has gone down. Steroids may help the athlete hit the ball farther, or throw the ball faster but they cannot aid baseballs key element, hand eye coordination. Athletes on steroids are setting unrealistic records but Major League Baseball is doing its best to handle the once growing crisis to keep the cheaters out and to give the natural ballplayers their game back.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Mon May 16, 2005 3:17 am

Few things I'd do differently.

1. I'd stress the financial aspect of taking steroids. How the cause of taking steroids isn't necessarily for personal satisfaction of success at the major leagues, but for money. You can turn this into a sort of treatise about human's priorities; personal wealth over integrity.

2. I'd discuss the long-term effects of steroid use. You can discuss how McGwire could have possibly played longer had he not used steroids. You can discuss Giambi's crash since his 'admittance'. Caminiti may be a stingy subject, since his recent death, so I wouldn't speculate about how it affected him in the long-term.

3. Parallels number 2. Although Congress has stepped in, which undoubtedly has led to most of the increase in steroid penalties in MLB, you could potentially argue that the downfalls of some of the leagues admitted steroid users has some sort of power in convincing Selig to endorse a new policy (like in good will).

4. If this isn't supposed to be a completely observational speech, I would outline both sides of a baseball fans' opinion on steroids. Discuss its deterence to the casual fan and how former baseball players, who were not on the juice, feel about it.

Overall, I think you just need to elaborate more on your topic and analyze what you have already outlined.

And, for the record, the sentence should read "Steroids may help the athlete hit the ball further", not 'farther'. Sorry, I'm some sort of perfectionist. ;-D

EDIT : I just re-read your post and I'm unsure about whether or not farther can be used in this instance. It certainly is more pleasing to hear 'further', at least in my opinion.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon May 16, 2005 9:12 am

davidmarver wrote:And, for the record, the sentence should read "Steroids may help the athlete hit the ball further", not 'farther'. Sorry, I'm some sort of perfectionist. ;-D

EDIT : I just re-read your post and I'm unsure about whether or not farther can be used in this instance. It certainly is more pleasing to hear 'further', at least in my opinion.

Farther is fine. :-)

(Actually, twenty years down the road, farther may be the only correct word there. 8-o )
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 16, 2005 9:42 am

I thought that farther was used for physical distance. As in he went far but the other guy went farther.

And further was for non physical things. As in, can this thread get any further into grammatical mumbojumbo.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby davidmarver » Mon May 16, 2005 3:44 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I thought that farther was used for physical distance. As in he went far but the other guy went farther.

And further was for non physical things. As in, can this thread get any further into grammatical mumbojumbo.

Haha, well after close review, both words have the same definition on dictionary.com.

There goes that.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk