Any rumors on who the Giants will get for a closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any rumors on who the Giants will get for a closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:28 pm

TownDrunk wrote:Let me try to address everyone’s suggestions:

Julio may be a possibility, but would he better than what they have now? Not much.

But for now, it’s going to be a wait and see approach.

I would agree with most of what you said, but most AAA-ball pitchers are probably better than Herges. Julio is Gagne compared to Herges.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Euclid » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:48 pm

i hadn't thought about tomko but he would be a good candidate. I agree with all that was said there except i think julio is a big upgrade over their current bullpen although i don't see sabean making the move anytime soon
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TownDrunk » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:53 pm

I'm not a big fan of Julio. He has a nice arm, but he can't seem to put it all together. He is an upgrade over most of the pen, but as a closer? I just don't think he'll do that much better than Brower and Fassero to justify giving up a good pitching prospect for him.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:06 pm

TownDrunk wrote:Let me try to address everyone’s suggestions:

Aardsma is in AA as a starter to work on his off speed pitches. He’s been dominating, but he still isn’t ready for the big leagues right now. Same goes for Valdez.

Foppert has been having some problems of his own, specifically a blister. It’s doubtful he’ll get called up soon.

Last year the Tigers wanted Matt Cain and another prospect. I can only imagine what they want this year. That isn’t going to happen.

Julio may be a possibility, but would he better than what they have now? Not much.

Williams was sent down to work on his control problems. So no, I don’t think they’ll be bringing him up to close.

If they really wanted to convert a starter into a closer, which I don’t believe will happen, it would most likely be Tomko since he’s usually pretty good the first time through the order and he has gas.

All indications/speculation today is that it will be Brower and Fassero. Fassero because he has some experience closing out games.

I believe that they’ll take a wait and see approach to this. They’ll see how they can get by with a CBC. And when Bonds returns, they’ll gauge at how well both he and the team are doing. If Bonds returns to his pre-surgery form (which I don’t believe will happen) and they feel the team has a shot, then I believe they’ll go out and trade for a closer rather than a CF as has been previously speculated. If they feel the team doesn’t have a shot, then they won’t be trading any of their pitching prospects.

But for now, it’s going to be a wait and see approach.

Good post. I don't think they will get a closer even though I think they should. Julio/Urbina is a much better option than Herges/Fassero/Brower combined. They will most likely use CBC for the time being but it wouldn't surprise me if they went out and got a closer if they want to stay competitive.

One thing I learned is to not listen to what GM/Manager/Coach/Player say. More often than not, it's nothing but smoke.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:40 pm

The bottom line is that this is a situation I wouldn't touch unless you are just absolutely desperate for saves. And by desperate, I mean your only closers are Affeldt and Tsao.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:54 pm

rmeesig wrote:The Yankees have a severe overcrowding situation developing in their bullpen. Expect them to move someone (Gordon?) soon.

There is no way the Yanks will trade Gordon. The bullpen has been gasoline all year. How can they trade their setup man if they hope to compete? Who will take over, Sturtz?...Karsay?...Gopher ball F-Rod?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:40 pm

Update on Aardsma in AA

David Aardsma gave up three runs in five innings yesterday in his worst start to date for Double-A Norwich.
He's 3-1 with a 1.80 ERA, 15 H and 13/3 K/BB in 20 IP for Norwich. He probably won't be a candidate for saves while Armando Benitez is on the DL, but a lot can happen in four months.

complements of rotoworld...
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ravenmad22 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:22 pm

While I hate Herges, I do think he gets first crack. He was a darn good pitcher in 2003 and has the stuff to close, a plus fastball and slider.

At any rate, fassero is a situational pitcher and brower is the team's designated long man who gets the occasional spot start. I don't see him becoming the closer, but stranger things have happened.

They'll only trade if they are somewhat in contention, which may not happen given their lineup and bullpen situations. The minor leaguers mentioned won't be called up as they're not ready and moving an innings eater like Tomko to the pen seems like a waste of a guy who can pitch 220 innings. Williams has never been a reliever and is unlikely to become one.

That leaves Herges. If he can revert to 2003 form, he might have some value. If he's like 2004, god help the giants.

Remember Mesa had a terrible year in 03 and has been pretty damn good since then. It's not impossible that Herges will be a decent closer.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers