Any rumors on who the Giants will get for a closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any rumors on who the Giants will get for a closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any rumors on who the Giants will get for a closer?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:36 am

Anyone hearing any rumors yet?

So far I've read Urbina & Julio.

Any other ideas out there?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lab_rats » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:47 am

this is what is reported in the news...

The chances of trading for a closer are "slim and none," Sabean said, so the Giants are back where they were last year, using a "closer by congregation" plan, in manager Felipe Alou's words.
lab_rats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:30 am

I just don't see how they think they're going to contend by staying in house. That's what lead to their downfall at the end of last year, and the entire reason they went out and bought Benitez......they're pen outside of Benitez just sucks. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Re: Any rumors on who the Giants will get for a closer?

Postby ramble2 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:55 am

Sp_Da_Man wrote:Anyone hearing any rumors yet?

So far I've read Urbina & Julio.

Any other ideas out there?

Where did you read that? The Giants probably should go get someone, but I haven't heard anything about them moving to do so. The talk on local radio, from both inside the organization and local sports writers/reporters, is that they will stay in-house. This is generally followed by a sense of dread, more or less expressed.

I picked up Aardsma, just in case they move him up from AAA. There has been some talk that he might someday be closer for SF, but that could just be radio jockey jibber-jabber. He's someone to keep an eye on, though. He was drafted in 2003 and pitched really well for San Jose (Giants A affiliate). In 2004 they jumped him to AAA Fresno, and it's always good to keep an eye on guys who skip a level. He pitched well in Fresno, striking out almost a batter an inning, though his walk rate went up higher than you'd like to see.

They even gave him a look-see in SF last season, though he got knocked around in 11 innings. The good thing is that if they do call him up, it won't be the first time he's faced major league bats.

It's doubtful Aardsma gets the call, but if the Herges/Brower monster blows up, maybe they'll decide it's time for some on the job training. :-/
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby thehat » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:00 am

Aardsma was a college closer, so his name will automatically surface in a situation such as this.

I have no idea of what SF will do, and I don't know that they do, either.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ramble2 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:09 am

Actually, I made a mistake. Aardsma is pitching in AA Norwich. Pitching really well, but still, moving from AA to the ML is pretty unlikely.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby victordestructo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:44 am

Anyone think they'll try Jesse Foppert?
victordestructo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby xeifrank » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:45 am

As ugly is it is, most peeps in leagues I am in are picking up Herges.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:26 am

Of course if they were in the market for a closer, they are hardly going to come out and admit it. That would just drive the price up.

How cheap are the Giants and how serious are they about winning? Because if they are serious and repeat the folly from last year and think they can muddle through with Herges they are out of their minds. That or they are just too cheap and not really serious about winning so they simply do not care and will go with a cheap option no matter how crummy.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:42 am

The Tigers are asking for outrageous terms for Ugeth Urbina...so I doubt SF will pick him up. Possibly Julio, but I don't know the specifics of what the Orioles need that SF can provide...

I do know that I owned Herges last year, and he combined with Valverde to single handedly ruin my era and whip last year. He is awful. If you think Graves is bad, wait until you see Herges. I doubt Herges keeps the closer role for more than 3 weeks.

Brower is clearly the best pitcher in the pen at the major league level in my opinion...

I think they ought to try Foppert! ;-D
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers