whats up with mike mussina - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats up with mike mussina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:33 am

From what I have seen and read over the last couple of years, it is my opinion that Mussina is nothing more than a mid-tier starter who will give you a 4.00-4.25 era and maybe 12 wins. Not bad, but not the upper level guy he used to be.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WharfRat » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:31 am

I caught the game last night, and his velocity looked down by a couple MPH (89-90 rather than 92-93 on his fastball in previous years), but like Kaat said through D18mike, I think that should be corrected. But he was definitely throwing up grapefruits at times, and even the outs were getting smoked.

ESPN ran an interesting stat: Batters are hitting .250 their first time through the order, then .400 the second time, and like .450 thereafter. I know Moose doesn't use scouting reports and goes with his gut when he decides what to throw next; I wonder if this might be a part of it, along with the velocity/location problems.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:33 am

I knew I should have benched him last night vs. the Angels...but then I told myself to put my faith in the Moose because it's in NY and in front of a crowd who is probably growing restless with him.

He is now going to be a spot starter for me until he puts a couple of good games together. Thanks for the info...sounds like his control is the main problem.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:37 am

The problem is that he will string a couple of good starts together, you activate him and then he pulls a stinker. Very frustrating as a fantasy owner. I still think control is the primary problem. Though Mussina really can't afford to be throwing 88-89 instead of 91-92 either.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:41 am

the guy has had two starts versus the sox, a start against the angels and I'm not sure, but a start against the orioles as well. The only bad start considering the opponent has been the jays. I think once he gets to pitch against the rays and some weaker AL teams, he will be a ok.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby BillyMafia » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:43 am

I was listening to game last night on XM with Yankee announcers. They were saying that he wasn't locating with his fastball to setup his curve. They said he doesn't look right but that they were not worried and that he will come around.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:41 am

Conner wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
Conner wrote:
Yoda wrote:Loss of velocity. He can't get away with his pitches anymore.

That's simply not true.

Well, I've heard enough -- you've convinced me! ;-7 :-D

Well, there's really not much else to say. :-b

At this point, his velocity is exactly the same as it has been over the last few seasons. During spring training and his first start or two, he was topping out at 87-88...but he's right back at 91 now.

He's fine.

Mussina lost some zip in his fastball entering 04. I don't understand why you think that he hasn't lost any velocity. He used to top out regularly at 94 prior to 04. Now he is lucky to hit 91. Declining K rate is a tell tale sign.

01 - 7.95
02 - 7.59
03 - 8.17
04 - 7.21
05 - 5.58

I'm sure as the weather warms up he will get better but he is clearly not the same pitcher he used to be with the loss of velocity. Less Ks and he gets hit more. Very simple to understand.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:53 am

Yoda wrote:
Conner wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
Conner wrote:
Yoda wrote:Loss of velocity. He can't get away with his pitches anymore.

That's simply not true.

Well, I've heard enough -- you've convinced me! ;-7 :-D

Well, there's really not much else to say. :-b

At this point, his velocity is exactly the same as it has been over the last few seasons. During spring training and his first start or two, he was topping out at 87-88...but he's right back at 91 now.

He's fine.

Mussina lost some zip in his fastball entering 04. I don't understand why you think that he hasn't lost any velocity. He used to top out regularly at 94 prior to 04. Now he is lucky to hit 91. Declining K rate is a tell tale sign.

01 - 7.95
02 - 7.59
03 - 8.17
04 - 7.21
05 - 5.58

I'm sure as the weather warms up he will get better but he is clearly not the same pitcher he used to be with the loss of velocity. Less Ks and he gets hit more. Very simple to understand.

Last year's 7.21 is not far from his 7.59 in 2002 though. Post ASB last year, he had a 9 K/9 rate. That's incredible, even for him. I'm not even looking at his Ks this year due to such a small sample size.

I think he'll be just fine...but until then I'm going to choose my matchups wisely.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers