Upcoming RP: Williams, Bernero, Marte - Sound Off! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Upcoming RP: Williams, Bernero, Marte - Sound Off!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upcoming RP: Williams, Bernero, Marte - Sound Off!

Postby Darkie Satchels » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:02 am

All three of these guys are most likely on your wire, where they won’t be for long. Who do you think is the stud for the season?

Marte (2W 1S 1L) – the Sox just keep adding runs to back up any pitcher.
Williams (2W OS OL) – same situation as above but has a .00 ERA and .56 WHIP
Bernero (2W OS OL) – not too many options in Atlanta right now unless Farsworth creeps in and/or Smoltz goes back to his roots.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Darkie Satchels » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:17 pm

No opinions? I find this hard to believe; especially with the ever constant merry-go-round that are closers.

Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:22 pm

I think I didn't reply the first time because I don't really like any of those guys. If I had to choose one it would be Marte...with the chance that he'll vulture a few saves here and there when they need to get a tough left-handed batter out.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Marte's the only one who's worthy of a roster spot. He'll get you a small handful of saves since Ozzie likes to be confusing. And, his ratios will be great as a middle reliever.

The others are worthless and not even close to becoming closers. Ryan's not going to fail in Baltimore and if he does, it'd be Julio (unless traded). Reitsma is definitely next in Atlanta (and Kyle Farnsworth is a Tiger). I also doubt that the others will help you too much in the other categories in the long run, either. Williams may have good ratios, but he K's nobody. Bernero ain't good.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Darkie Satchels » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm

warrick95 wrote:(and Kyle Farnsworth is a Tiger)

Ha! Yeah. I just woke up from a drinking binge. Wow….

….

Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Darkie Satchels » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:28 pm

warrick95 wrote:Marte's the only one who's worthy of a roster spot. He'll get you a small handful of saves since Ozzie likes to be confusing. And, his ratios will be great as a middle reliever.

The others are worthless and not even close to becoming closers. Ryan's not going to fail in Baltimore and if he does, it'd be Julio (unless traded). Reitsma is definitely next in Atlanta (and Kyle Farnsworth is a Tiger). I also doubt that the others will help you too much in the other categories in the long run, either. Williams may have good ratios, but he K's nobody. Bernero ain't good.

Is Otsuka ever going to wake up? I am debating dropping him for Marte but I feel this would be a bit pre-mature in the first month of ball. But his ERA keeps rising.

Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:33 pm

Darkie Satchels wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Marte's the only one who's worthy of a roster spot. He'll get you a small handful of saves since Ozzie likes to be confusing. And, his ratios will be great as a middle reliever.

Is Otsuka ever going to wake up? I am debating dropping him for Marte but I feel this would be a bit pre-mature in the first month of ball. But his ERA keeps rising.

I've said in other posts that I believe that Otsuka's going to be worse than he was last year (3+ ERA, 1.2 or so WHIP), simply because of his herky-jerky delivery. Hitters will begin to get used to that delivery and learn how to hit him better. That being said, he's not this bad a pitcher. He has a decent fastball with an incredible slider...damn good pitch. His location is superb, too. I haven't seen him pitch this year. If it's a control issue, I expect him to smooth things out soon enough.

Just an idea...he COULD be tired since he always pitched 50 or less innings back in Japan. That's just a hypothesis, though, with no real evidence to back it up.

Beyond my clear bias in favor of Marte, I think you've gotta give Otsuka some more time. If you're really desperate for saves, Marte may be worth a go, but keep in mind that Trevor Hoffman is not the healthiest closer, despite how careful the Padres are now being with him. In addition, since they will be sure not to overwork Hoff, Otsuka could vulture as many saves as Marte.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Please take Bernero off this list. He's not even close to the closers job, and he's not that good of a pitcher. He had a few good innings in ST, and that's why Bobby took him to the pen, as the long guy in there, not for crucial situations. Don't pick him up. :-t Colon and Reitsma are easily next in line.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers