Middle Relievers Killing Me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Relievers Killing Me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:59 pm

wrveres wrote:The Padres announcers found out Otsukas problem the last time out and it should be interesting to see how he responds. Apparently, he was using the same pitch to start off every batter, and as we all know it does not take advanced scouts long to pick up on that. They noticed this because every single batter was coming up to the plate first pitch swinging, even the people that are known as overly patient.

As far as the middle reliever strategy...
Yeah, I never draft the guys ... there is always plenty of guys available.
If your league counts holds, I would bet dollars to donuts that guys like Bruney and Koplove are readily available on the wire.

You owe me donuts and dollars. Koplove is not available. Bruney and his 5.56 ERA and 1.9 WHIP are.

My league uses holds and good holders go in the draft. In a good holds league, it's cutthroat for the holders and relying on the waiver wire ain't gonna work.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:12 pm

wrveres wrote:The Padres announcers found out Otsukas problem the last time out and it should be interesting to see how he responds. Apparently, he was using the same pitch to start off every batter, and as we all know it does not take advanced scouts long to pick up on that. They noticed this because every single batter was coming up to the plate first pitch swinging, even the people that are known as overly patient.

Can this be true? Isn't it up to the catcher to manage the pitcher, especially one who only has one season in the majors?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:38 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:

As far as the middle reliever strategy...
Yeah, I never draft the guys ... there is always plenty of guys available.
If your league counts holds, I would bet dollars to donuts that guys like Bruney and Koplove are readily available on the wire.

You owe me donuts and dollars. Koplove is not available. Bruney and his 5.56 ERA and 1.9 WHIP are.

My league uses holds and good holders go in the draft. In a good holds league, it's cutthroat for the holders and relying on the waiver wire ain't gonna work.

Put Bruney, on your 'watch list'. ;-)

swyck wrote:Can this be true? Isn't it up to the catcher to manage the pitcher, especially one who only has one season in the majors?

I don't know, I am just repeating what I heard and in fact I wouldn't be surpised at all. It is still early, and you hear stories of pitchers tippin their picthes and that sort of thing all the time. If something was found, the results will be in the boxscores.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers