Middle Relievers Killing Me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Middle Relievers Killing Me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Middle Relievers Killing Me

Postby quicksilver8 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:49 am

What is going on with guys like Akinori Otsuka and Tim Worrell? These guys are killing me. I just dropped Worrell for Brower...
Do you think the league has figured out Otsuka or maybe he was worn down from last year's workload?
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Eli » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:48 am

Tell me about it... He is going on my bench until I see him improve...

I picked up two losses yesterday from middle relief. I hate when that happens...

Eli
Eli
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris8 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:54 am

Otsuka's been a big let-down so far, after all the pre-season hype.

But, as with the struggling aces, lets remember it's still April!
Last edited by chris8 on Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 107)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:57 am

This is EXACTLY why the MR strategy is dangerous. It's great to use this strategy AFTER the drafts finish, but all of those people advocating taking Tom Gordon, Mike Gonzalez, Tim Worrell (in non-holds leagues) in the mid rounds are nuts.

Wait until the season starts and see who's performing well. They are probably the least predictable position out there.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:18 pm

slomo007 wrote:This is EXACTLY why the MR strategy is dangerous. It's great to use this strategy AFTER the drafts finish, but all of those people advocating taking Tom Gordon, Mike Gonzalez, Tim Worrell (in non-holds leagues) in the mid rounds are nuts.

Wait until the season starts and see who's performing well. They are probably the least predictable position out there.

I agree. Even in holds leagues it's a risky strategy to draft MR's before the very late rounds since they are so frustratingly unpredictable, even the "good" ones. :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Darkie Satchels » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:This is EXACTLY why the MR strategy is dangerous. It's great to use this strategy AFTER the drafts finish, but all of those people advocating taking Tom Gordon, Mike Gonzalez, Tim Worrell (in non-holds leagues) in the mid rounds are nuts.

I’m a heavy subscriber and long time believer in your theory. I have the same problem with Otsuka as well. He’s killing me and my overall ERA/WHIP while Lyon, Braz, and Nathan continue to dominate on my team. I’m debating getting rid of him but he was part of a trade and I HATE dropping trades.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:44 pm

The problem with the MR strategy is that the guys that do it one year do not necessarily the next. And then they could be inconsistent month to month. I have already jettisonned holds in one H2h league as I have switched to collecting quality starters people keep dumping (Moyer, Hampton, etc). In the other league I picked up 2 MRs inthe draft, I am buried on the pitching thanks to them and Schilling.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mbuser » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:45 pm

in my real deep $$$ league i drafted rincon and shields and picked up betancourt

32.2 IP, 1.38 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 6 W, 1 SV, 35 K

;-D
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TB13 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Agreed. Load up on quality starters and a few closers. THEN, after a few weeks of the seaon, you can supplement your staff with a few top MR's.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Anyone who is judging a player OR a strategy based upon 20 games in April needs a little reality check.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers